5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2014 9:08 PM by Dookert RSS

Coaxial splitter and slow bit rates

Dookert

Hey All,

I have recently bought an extra cable box that I have hooked my sling 350 to at my parents. The setup is like this. The coaxial cable line comes in, It is split, one going to the modem, the other going to the cable box. The Sling box is jacked in via a direct line into my router. I live up in New Hampshire, my parents live in Rhode Island. I just got up to NH, all excited to test out the sling and I can't get a bit rate higher than 128Kbps, which is stuttering BS. I connected to it through my phone on a 4G network in RI and tested it out on an upstairs TV by tethering my laptop to it. Worked fine. This is extremely dissapointing. Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

• Re: Coaxial splitter and slow bit rates
          dewdude Newbie

It's possible the splitter is unable to properly pass the frequencies required to stream. When dealing with two-way cable modems; you have to make sure your splitter is rated for two-way communication or high enough frequencies. Very old splitters won't be up to the task.

I'd make sure you're dealing with a lack of speed on your modem; next time you're down there get rid of the splitter and see what your connection rate is; then hook up the splitter and look for a drop in speed. If the splitter is the cause you should see the speed completely tank going through it, but just fine without it.

In that case, you're gonna have to go out and buy a new splitter; that should work. It's also possible there's not enough signal after that split to work...so you'd have to get the cable modem "further up" before all the splits.

Dookert

Thanks for the help. Its a newer splitter and I found that its probably not the problem. I think the problem is in the sling to roku software itself or within the .android software for the app. On HD channels the android app, or roku channel, seems to lack the ability to downgrade the video signal from anything other than SQ or HQ quality, and so if my connection up here in NH drops just a little, I get stutter, where with my computer it can change the bitrate or whatever on the fly and thus there is no suttering,

dewdude Newbie

On HD channels the android app, or roku channel, seems to lack the ability to downgrade the video signal from anything other than SQ or HQ quality, and so if my connection up here in NH drops just a little, I get stutter, where with my computer it can change the bitrate or whatever on the fly and thus there is no suttering,

The android app can change the quality; you have to tap the video, hit settings, and select a quality.

anthony.sling Apprentice

Hey Dookert,

Have you tried placing the quality settings within the application to auto? In auto mode, it will allow the bit rate to fluctuate and the picture will be based of the bitrate you are receiving.

Best Regards,

Anthony
                Sling Media Moderation Team