10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2010 5:29 PM by Resist RSS

Unplug or Not?

Resist Newbie

I am wondering if it is better to unplug my Slingbox when I am not going to use it or leave it plugged in all the time?  Seems like it's just an energy vampire when not used, especially when not used for weeks at a time.

• Re: Unplug or Not?
          eferz Expert

The Slingbox constantly draws about 9 watts.  According to this article anyways (http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-power-efficiency)

Resist Newbie

I know it draws power, adding its power consumption with all my other plugged in devices, ends up being a lot of money spent for things not being used.  I am just wondering if it is a better idea to unplug the Slingbox when not in use.  I don't keep my computer running all the time, I unplug it at the end of the day.  So I am thinking that is what I should be doing with my Slingbox as well.  What is everyone else doing?

BrandonC Novice

Resist,

I think most people just leave it plugged in. Yes it will draw some power when not in use but depending on how you have your cables setup you may need to keep it plugged in just so people at home can watch TV.

If you have the ability to unplug the SlingBox until you need it that's what I would recommend. You would save not only power but wear and tear of the Slingbox itself.

But it depends on your setup and your cable routing.  Sorry, but,I can't give you any more info than this without breaking some rules here.

Resist Newbie

Why would unplugging my Slingbox depend on my cable routing?  I have unplugged it before and my TV still worked fine with my Tivo.

eferz Expert

For example; Using the Slingbox as an intermediary device between a set-top box and the TV.  Depending on it's setup, power might be required to pass the signal through.

Resist Newbie

I made a mistake when I said I could unplug my Slingbox and get a signal from my Tivo to my TV.  Sorry.  So apparently the Slingbox does in fact need power or the TV will not display cable content from a Tivo or any set top box.  I really hate to leave the Slingbox plugged in costing me money, when on most days I don't use it, but hate to deal with all the unplugging of the cables.  And then plugging them all in again, when I want to use the Slingbox.

eferz Expert

I suppose you could always install solar paneling or a wind mill array to offset the power drain.

Resist Newbie

Well I ultimately did have solar electric panels installed on my house to offset my electric bill.  But I still hate all the vampire energy consumption going on in my house.  For instance, during an 8 hour period this type of electric use consumed over 8,000 watts.  Granted that was with 2 refrigerators and 3 Tivo's running all the time.  But there are also a lot of other electric gadgets consuming power, even though they are turned off.

Lately it seems like I use my Slingbox only a few times a month, so maybe I will just unplug it and reroute the cables.  Because if it uses 9 watts, that's 6,480 watts a month.  Not really a lot by itself, but added to all the other stuff and it can be substantial.

BrandonC Novice

You could use a splitter or some other way to connect your TiVo to your TV. Hit us up here and we can explain.