5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2012 3:08 PM by Matt.Sling RSS

ports?

malamata

does sling box use any other ports except 5000 and 5001 ,

the reason i am asking is cause currently at my store all my ports are blocked except 5000 and 5001, i try to connect but it wont work, but the when i connect through a wireless hot spot around the area slingbox works

• Re: ports?
          eferz Expert

The Slingbox defaults to port 5001 for the video stream, control, and configuration.  You can change the port number though the setup.  And sometimes its required to sneak viewing in a corporate enviroment or if you have multiple Slingboxes.

It also uses other ports for maintenance and registration of the Sling Locator Service.  Those port numbers are 5678, 80, 443, 8080, 3490, 3074, or 3724.  However, since those originate from within your network, you don't need to set up port forwarding rules.  Network Address Translation (NAT) keeps track of the sessions that originate from within your network.  So, unless you're behind a Corporate Firewall, you don't need to open additional ports.

As far as your issue, my question is "do you have port 5001 properly forwarded to your Slingbox?"  Just because you don't have it blocked doesn't mean its going to the correct host.  You'll need to set up a port forwarding rule to direct public anonymous requests of port 5001 to your Slingbox's IP address.

• Re: ports?
            Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hi,

I can't say for certain based on the info provided, but this could be a port forwarding issue.

This page has a video that walks through this set up: What's port forwardng/port mapping?

Hope this helps,

Matt