24 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2014 10:51 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Ipad Remote does not work

brilligt

It just does not work.  Nothing I have done has resolved the issue.  Uninstall, reinstall, reconfigure.  When will you get this fixed.  Phone support told me I am the only one in the world with this issue.  That can't be true.  I am running iOS 7.04 iPad with retina display 4th gen.  Surely I can't be the only one on the planet with this issue.

• Re: Ipad Remote does not work
          alanrichey42 Master

Possibly     There was a recent problem with remote images not appearing but that was solved in the recent update.   Unfortunately you haven't told us if the remote on a PC/Mac works ?   You need to do that to determine if it is the iPad at fault or the Slingbox.

brilligt

Virtual Remote on the PC works just fine. Virtual Remote on the iPhone works just fine.  The virtual remote that appears on the iPad is the same as the one on the PC but it does not control anything.  If you press any of the buttons nothing ha[ppens. The built in remotes work, i.e. the key pad and the gallery and channel guide features will change the channels etc.  The only thing that does not work is the Virtual Remote on the iPad.  I have a slingbox pro hd.

dl1

I have exactly the same issue. The recent update did nothing to resolve the problem. I too have Pro HD and 4th gen ipad. Everything works fine on the laptop and the ipad worked perfectly until the original update to the new interface (which I do not care for).

Please fix so that I can turn on the cable box with the remote!

alanrichey42 Master

OK, it does appear the fault is with the iPad app.  Apart from the obvious solution of uninstalling the app and reinstalling it (and I would suggest doing an iTunes sync between the two operations to make sure it has REALLY been wiped) I can't suggest anything else.

brilligt

I have done that.  Twice.  No change.  I have deleted from both itunes and the ipad then synced and then reinstalled.  I have already tried every variation to no avail.  I hope they get this fixed.

ines5535 Newbie

Welcome to my world.

I gave up on fixing the app.. It just doesn't work..I wish they give us back our old working app version before this mess..

Anyways back I go to find me other app or other devices.. That works fine..

ines5535 Newbie

Well I kept resetting the sling box soft reset the one just pressing reset less than 2 seconds and hard reset press more than 2 seconds, Had to reconfigure the slingbox settings after hard reset. After many hours resetting, it finally worked.. Everytime I tried to conect to the sling box it said it was upgrading update or software something like that. So I waited and reset and repeat and try, Maybe cause I hard reset like 3 times it worked? Then it finally let me connect to the slingbox and now it frigging works.. My remote is on the screen and all works fine.. My lesson learned is next time I will wait to update a thing that's not broken... Cause if it's not broken why fix it?

Thanks for this page http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000217.html

It helped me a lot about upgrading slingbox software w pressing the reset button...

dl1

Thankyou Ines5535,

I did the hard reset this morning and went through the setup again and the ipad now works!

Many hours were spent before this and I had given up on being able to get it to function properly without another update.

Your efforts are much appreciated.

DL

brilligt

Hard reset worked.

brilligt

UPDATE...

Virtual remote worked one day after a hard reset Pro HD.  Today it does not work.  Back to square one.  I should not have to do a hard reset every time I want to use my iPad.

ines5535 Newbie

He/she is right, the hard reset is just a temporally fix. Well to me is better than not having a working app on my ipad.. For now will have to use the hard reset until they fix it for real..

Wonder when that will be......

To be continued.....

To dl1: yvw, but sorry the fix is temporally...

iphilcj

I called Slingbox tech support and was told I had to pay $30 for them to help me. Then they suggested "something" happened durring download which is causing the problem. They acted as if they had never heard of this issue. I explained the countless uninstall/reinstall steps I have take. I also explained that if the makers of the app upgrade broke a part of the app, then Slingbox should NOT charge me for trying to fix this issue. Still no help. I would feel better if Slingbox would admit that there is a problem and they are working on it.

iphilcj

Hard reset DOES NOT work. Does the company monitor these forums? It is hard to believe that the company would put out an update but wont support the problem it caused. This is probably the worst experience for an update that I have ever had. To go from a version that was working perfectly for  to an update where a key utility does not work should be an embarrassment to the company.

Does anyone have any other suggstions?

brilligt

I had considered upgrading to the Slingbox 500.  But not now.  Not when support refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem with software.

ines5535 Newbie

Idk if they do monitors these forums, I know that in 8 or more years being a slingbox customer... Prob cause I read and read and read forums ... That's how I found about slingbox devices in the past..etc, I have owned more than 4 slingbox wonderful boxes..My first one I paid like almost 300.00 dollars..lol..but for the latest software update they did....This is the worst app software update they have ever made... Also that I don't complaint, I usually read and fix it w the answers they give.. So for the first time ever I had to talk and join the ones complaining about the broken app.. Sorry slingbox. I hate complaining, but again, seems like the guys who fix these problems went on Xmas vacation, long vacation, or they really broke the wonderful world of slingbox...there is prob no fix. We all know that by just going to the Internet, to the forums not just the slingbox forums, and read and read, or seems like they are not even trying to fix it..and maybe is time for me to look at other forums .. Maybe I can find me a slingbox device replacement for the first time ever in 8 wonderful years...

It was the best device ever.. While it lasted... And thanks for that..I am going traveling until next year and no slingbox for me this year...so happy holidays and prosperous new year to all that reads this...

ACC4668940

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who has this problem.  Called tech support and they told me this is the first they have heard of this issue but that I should buy an IR blaster(?!).  My issue is that when I try to go to a channel from my ipad (to watch on my ipad) it, generally, goes to a random channel or doesn't change it at all.  I never had a problem with the earlier version of the software and now I feel like my slingbox is junk.  It has to be the update but if they won't recognize the problem we are having I can't imagine that they will ever fix it.  Oh, and support was a waste of time!!

kidd181

I just started encountering this problem. It's completely rendered my ipad slingplayer useless. I called tech support and they fed me the same bs line about if enough people start complaining they might try and fix it. Nice...

alanrichey42 Master

This is most odd, although none of you have stated if the Virtual Remote on your PC is exhibiting the same symptoms.   First you have to figure out EXACTLY where the problem lies.   Just to explain what happens :

1.  You tap on a button on the virtual remote on any of the viewing systems.

2.  The appropriate Slingplayer sends a very single code (0-81) to the Slingbox.  Now this is VERY difficult to get wrong, which is what I find odd.

3.  The Slingbox receives the code number and determines what the correct IR code stream should be for your specific receiver. Now this can be wrong for various reasons, such as a corrupted database, incorrect remote, a poor IR signal, bad positioning.....

So, you can see that 99% of all 'remote' problems are actually caused by the Slingbox and NOT the viewing app you are using.   So any symptom you get should be reproducible on all viewers, not just the iPad.   So you need to run that test first, otherwise you are looking in the wrong place.   And if the problem is in the Slingbox and not the iPad app then the previous suggestions of hard reset, reconfigure...   should all be tried.

If you find the problem is genuinely with ONLY the iPad app and an uninstall and reinstall doesn't cure the problem then I am with the support line, and cannot think of any logical explanation.  The software aspect is so simple and straightforward that it can't be wrong.   And as we are seeing, 99% of iPad users (including me) are not having any problem at all.

Be interested in the results of any tests you run now that, hopefully, you understand what is happening 'under the hood'.    And if anyone wants me to try accessing your machines on my iPad then PM me.

kidd181

The webplayer remote works fine. It's only the slingplayer app on the ipad that doesn't work. My current workaround is to reconfigure inputs but I have to do it everyday because the problem keeps occurring.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, that makes no sense, as when you reconfigure inputs you are simply refreshing the memory inside the Slingbox, it has absolutely nothing to do with any of the viewing systems.   So if the webplayer remote is working then the Slingbox is working and reconfiguring the input should have no effect.

Afraid I have run out of ideas.  In theory what you are seeing cannot happen.  Have to hand this one off to the moderaters.

Sorry

Lane84

Update 3/20:  And today it works fine.  Go figure!

Neither my remote on my iPad or my Mac works.  I am connecting to Slingbox because I get the live feed.  But when I try to use the Virtual Remote, on either system, I get ....one moment please.  But nothing ever happens!  It was all workig fine yesterday and I updated nothing in the meantime.  I did reset my app on the IPad mini with no luck.

alanrichey42 Master

If it doesn't work on your Mac then this has absolutely nothing to do with the iPad.  The virtaul remote is stored in the Slingbox and is accessed by any of the viewing system when you connect.   I would reset your Slingbox as a first step.

• Re: Slingbox on U Verse with iPad mini
                                                      tgebhart

I just switched from Direct TV to ATT U Verse.   I cant seem to get the iPad mini to switch to U Verse.  It keeps coming up with the Direct TV guide and remote control etc.  even though I hook the slingbox to the u verse box.  Any ideas are appreciated.