2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2013 4:49 PM by TylerG RSS

Slingbox and HTPC: Can Slingbox Stream Video from PC Source?

SomebodySysop

Currently, I have a DirecTV DVR connected to my Slingbox 500 which is connected to my TV.  This has worked beautifully for years.

I am building an HTPC (Home Theater PC) using Windows Media Center.  It is going to replace my DirecTV DVR.

My question is: Can the Slingbox sling the Windows graphic user interface?  For example, I unplugged the hdmi connector from the DVR and plugged it into my computer.  I can see the Windows GUI on the TV (running through the Slingbox).  However, when I use Slingplayer to connect to the Sling box, the screen is blank.

HTPC --- hdmi connector --> Slingbox ---- hdmi connector ---> TV

Is there any way to be able to sling the video and audio from Windows via the Slingbox, even if there isn't a way to interface with it (I have an Android remote device which will allow me to control the WMC without having to use the Slingbox controls)?

Thanks!

-ron

p.s.  I know that you can watch output from PC that passes through the Slingbox, but so far I have not been able to see any video from this connection via the Slingplayer (which is my goal). I can control the Media Center using an Android app so I don't need IR remote control.

• Re: Slingbox and HTPC: Can Slingbox Stream Video from PC Source?
          TylerG Newbie

Hey there, SomebodySysop!

Truly, the Slingbox can't discriminate between different video sources; as long as your video source works with a format supported by the Slingbox (composite, component, HDMI, et cetera), the Slingbox will stream it!

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team

P.S. From experience, I know that the Slingbox can be configured specifically to work with Windows Media Players.

• Re: Slingbox and HTPC: Can Slingbox Stream Video from PC Source?
              SomebodySysop

I would love to be able to remotely access my Windows Media Center HTPC via Slingbox.  So far, I can watch locally the HTPC video source on my TV with:

HTPC --hdmi--> Slingbox --hdmi--> TV

connection setup.

But, I have not been able to remotely access the HTPC signal via the Slingbox.  The screen is black.

Can you point me somewhere online on how this type of connection has been achieved?

Thanks!