12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2014 12:29 PM by hjs742 RSS

Unable to connect to Slingbox Pro-HD with Slingplayer 3.1

psoong

Since upgrading to 3.0, I am getting the error message: "SlingPlayer cannot connect to your Slingbox. Please make sure your iPad and Slingbox are connected to the Internet and try again."

I have done the following:

1) Upgraded Slingbox firmware.

2) Gone through the configuration of the network settings on the Slingbox.

3) Uninstalled and reinstalled Slingplayer.

Slingplayer works on my iPhone and through the webbrowers so there is something with this app. I have tried this on 3 different iPads and get the same error.

Please help or let me know if this is a known bug in the program and will be fixed.

Thanks!

• Re: Unable to connect to Slingbox Pro-HD with Slingplayer 3.1
          hjs742

I can confirm the same problem. Ipad on 3.0 was all fine now on 3.1 "slingplayer cannot connect to your slingbox", Iphone and PC both still working fine however. Reinstalled Slingplayer for Ipad not difference, not going to mess with any other settings as seems no point at this stage if it didnt help you either, I guess we wait for the next update.........

drondeau

I have the same problem, so I basically paid for a useless app, and sling won't let you connect via browser from an iPad. That's just adding insult to injury.

MobielEd

Same problem here;

I can connect through my iPhone, indicating that slingbox is working fine. When I try to connect then through the iPad (mini) it cannot find the SlingBox.

Where are the apologies from Sling Media and when is a new update coming?!?

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hello psoong/All,

I was able to check some of your Slingboxes and it appears that TCP is not configured correctly. When you have a chance, please reset and reconfigure your router and Slingbox. You can visit http://setup.slingbox.com for assistance. If any of you have firewalls set up, this could also be the cause.

If the issue persists, we may need to contact you all individually to get your login information to further troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Matt

johnquackenbush

I have the same problem. My PC Player works just fine. The iPad App will not connect.

anthony.sling Apprentice

Hey johnquackenbush,

Sorry you are having such bad luck. It seems that the Slingbox on your account has not been successfully setup for internet vieiwng. When going to setup.slingbox.com,  you would need to configure your Slingbox for Internet Viewing. You may need to go into your router and setup the Slingbox to stream over TCP.

These links below can help assist you with doing this.

Hope this helps!

Sling Media Moderation Team

johnquackenbush

My sling box is set up for internet viewing. I can view it from anywhere in the world using the application on my PC.

Sent from my iPhone

anthony.sling Apprentice

Hey,

Thanks for the response. It is showing that the TCP has failed, and that you may need to port forward the Slingbox through the router.

You can do this at setup.slingbox.com, and portforward.com to assist you with doing this.

Best Regards,

Sling Media Moderation Team

ferguspa Apprentice

Sling Inc. doesn't really talk about how their devices handle network configuration (a pity--it would help tremendously here), but there's a few things to be aware of, starting with Sling KB article 5000356:

...a Slingbox uses various streaming methods, including TCP, RELAY, or SNATT. TCP is the recommended streaming method, not only for speed, but for stability as well. To enable TCP streaming, you must enable Universal Plug and Play, or UPnP on your router, or set up port forwarding correctly...

So there are (at least) TCP, RELAY, and SNATT streaming methods.  Next, refer to Slingbox and Port Forwarding (note this link is to a third-party, not-Slingbox-official website):

When you setup your SlingBox it tries to setup a TCP port forward for you.  If it or you can’t set one up it will drop back to using UDP to Sling remotely.

The only problem with that your can’t use UDP for everything. It works with the Web SlingPlayer app, both Mac and Windows stand alone programs and I am told also for the iPhone and Blackberry.

I have no way to test the iPhone but have tested UDP usage for the Blackberry and it did not work for me. It also won’t work for the SlingCatcher, Windows Mobile player and Palm Symbian programs.

Ever wonder why someone said “Hey how come my SlingPlayer for Windows works fine remotely but my Catcher doesn’t?” That is because he is using UDP for Windows and there is no proper TCP port forwarded to the SlingBox so the Catcher won’t connect.

This can at times make it very hard to diagnose a remote connection problem. Someone could have a problem using UDP and all he needs to do is open up a TCP port and it goes away. It could also happen in the opposite. Someone having a TCP Slinging issue could try running UDP and see if it helps.

The important part of this is different SlingPlayer clients support different streaming methods, and some SlingPlayer clients support only a subset of streaming methods of another SlingPlayer client.  I have a properly-set-up Slingbox 350 (it passes all of Sling's streaming checks--see below) and I cannot use SlingPlayer for iPhone, Watch on Slingbox.com for Mac, or SlingPlayer for Mac OS X* at work since ports 5201 through 5210 are blocked so neither TCP nor UDP connectivity works.  However, Watch on Slingbox.com on Windows does work.  This is (likely) because the RELAY connection method (usable by Watch on Slingbox.com for Windows) relays through some other source and performs the port number change transparently.

How can it be determined what streaming method(s) a particular Slingbox can use?  Visit the following link (but read below for the required edit):

http://sparcs.slingmedia.com/getDeviceInfo2.asp?id=XXXXX

Where "XXXXX" is the Slingbox's Slingbox ID.  If checking a Slingbox other than the 350 or 500 the Slingbox ID is likely available, but if the Slingbox is a 350 or 500 (or the Slingbox ID isn't available) go here and look at the webpage source for something similar to this:

<div id="product_name">Living Room 350</div>

<div id="product_device">Slingbox 350</div>

<div id="product_country">USA</div>

<input type="hidden" value="Living Room 350" name="e_displayName" id="displayName" />

<input type="hidden" value="842689E2D818678AD960481A62E6D455" name="e_finderId" id="finderId" />

The "Finder ID" is listed above, so the URL in this example would be:

http://sparcs.slingmedia.com/getDeviceInfo2.asp?id=842689E2D818678AD960481A62E6D455

At the URL above, the Slingbox and it's capabilities will be displayed.  There is a block of text near the end:

####

CPS

TCP

Capability=Supported and Passed

Priority=Highest Priority

Properties=[]

SUDP

Priority=Lowest Priority

Properties=[]

SNATT

Priority=Second Priority

Properties=[]

Relay

Priority=Third Priority

Properties=[null=4000,dummy=dummy,]

####

This tells what streaming methods are available on the particular Slingbox.  This would be helpful in determining if there are more streaming methods available and if any router or networking adjustments had any effect on Sling's servers' records about the capabilities of a particular Slingbox.  One note--power cycling the Slingbox (or waiting up to 24 hours) is required following each network change to make the Slingbox cause Sling's servers to retest the capabilities of a particular Slingbox.

To review:

- Different streaming methods are available on a single Slingbox

- Different SlingPlayer clients support different streaming methods

So if the streaming methods available on a particular Slingbox are supported by SlingPlayer "A" are not supported by SlingPlayer "B", "A" will work and "B" will not.  Thus this is why Sling support is asking customers to revisit their router settings even if their Slingbox works with some SlingPlayer clients.

*Note SlingPlayer for Mac OS X was tested with a properly-set-up Slingbox AV and port 5001.  If I set the Slingbox AV to use a port commonly open on a firewall (e.g. 80, 443) the Slingbox AV works correctly.

hjs742

Thanks great post,

My problem is that slingplayer fails intermittently, some days it works fine other days does not find the slingbox, however this happens only on the ipad with the ipad slingplayer, all other devices (iPhone, windows PC) still work fine as does the iPhone app running on the ipad, it's just the ipad app that fails. I can then leave it unchanged and it works fine the next day,  Same principle applies to the fact that it all worked all the time before I upgraded to 3.1 and nothing in my configuration was changed. Finally upgraded replaced my router in the last few days, setup port forward again and it still does exactly the same thing, one day it works another it does not.

I'll have a detailed look at your Post and my settings but surely this can't be a setup problem as that would just either work or not work?

ferguspa Apprentice

hjs742 wrote:

...all other devices (iPhone, windows PC) still work fine as does the iPhone app running on the ipad, it's just the ipad app that fails.

The bold, italicized text is key, I believe.  If:

- The Slingbox works with the iPhone app but not the iPad app on the same iPad

- You have the appropriate Sling Account and password on both apps

- You're either "Disconnect"ing from the Slingbox while streaming or giving the Slingbox enough time to recover to accept a new streaming connection (maybe 30 seconds) after exiting the app (thus allowing the Slingbox to return to a "ready to accept a new streaming client" state)

- You've deleted the iPad app from the iPad, redownloaded it, and reentered your username and password

You may have found a bug in the SlingPlayer for iPad app.  Without starting a phone support call, the best thing to do would be to continue to bug Sling support here.  I don't suppose you have an older version of the SlingPlayer for iPad software somewhere (you'd have to have a copy of SlingPlayer for iPad in iTunes, whether through sync with a computer or purchase in iTunes on a computer, and then have that copy backed up somewhere)?

hjs742

I don't have an older version of slingplayer unfortunately, I only installed the iPhone app on the ipad after I was getting problems as a way of using it, so the problem existed before I made any additions or changes and commenced as soon as I installed ver 3.1, also I deleted the app and reloaded several times, reentering login details. I could not see any relation to when it worked versus the order in which I connected or disconnected the slingbox, one day could be fine the next no go.

However after reading your previous post I had a look further at my router and I think I may have still not had a correctly open port due to a firewall setting, since I made that change the slingplayer for ipad has worked well (only tested 4 or 5 times so far). I generally only use this app on my local wifi and (probably incorrectly) assumed if it works one time then the setting must be correct, if that's the case it's thrown me how it worked half the time and with 2 different routers (the first of which worked perfectly up until 3.1 was installed too)

Sling media also sent me an email to try and work the problem as well but as it stands at the moment it's working so I will continue to test it out, thanks for you advice,  I'll keep you posted.