6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2014 5:01 PM by lapdog12 RSS

Roku HD 2500R

Chesterton

Is the new Slingplayer compatible with the 2500R Roku HD? The list of supported devices mentions 2500X Roku HD, but not 2500R Roku HD. Walmart has the 2500R on sale for Black Friday. Is there a material difference between the 2500R and the 2500X?

• Re: Roku HD 2500R
          Chesterton

I learned from the Roku forum that X=online, R=retail, so there's isn't a material difference.

Chesterton

Thanks for your inputs.

I eventually decided to get a Roku 2 when it was on sale for $20 off on Black Thanksgiving. I didn't open it until Christmas morning. It's working well with my Slingbox Pro. I just start the Slingbox app on my iPhone and then switch the video to Roku, and the Roku switches to the Slingplayer app and starts up. It's been very reliable for me. The iPhone becomes the remote control. It also works fine with my Google Nexus 10 android tablet, if I run the phone, not table, version of Slingplayer on it. In fact, it works better on the android tablet because I can switch to other apps without stopping the streaming.

The response to the remote control is delayed, as it is for all Slingplayer for Connected Devices, including my Sony Google TV box (NSZ-GS7).

lapdog12

Great, it's nice to know that it works well for you.  I guess I'll take the plunge and buy the android (phone) app.  I have an Ipad, but it's an Ipad 1 and of course the program doesn't work on the ipad 1.

Chesterton

A couple of further inputs.

First, if you install the iPhone version of Slingplayer on your iPad, then you can connect up to your Roku through the iPad, using the iPhone Slingplayer app.

Second, after using it some, I realized that it's possible to avoid the long remote control delays by temporarily changing the output from the Roku to the iPhone or Android. So when I need to do several interactive steps, like rewinding to just the right point, etc., I switch the output to the iPhone, then switch back to the Roku. This is a better interaction than with other Slingplayer for Connected Devices like Google TV.