35 Replies Latest reply: Jan 23, 2015 7:26 AM by cjkrolak RSS

ROKU Streamer - No Roku Streamer button showing in Android app download

cookie7199

Sling Player Roku does not work.

No Roku Streamer button is showing in Android app downloaded from Google Play. Uninstalled and reinstalled 30 times to date.

I own a slingbox 350.

Just went out and bought a brand new Roku 3 a supported device. Roku 4200X running software 5.2 Build 3267 
      Box it came in says Model 4200R however. Then purchased the overpriced $15 slingplayer app for android at google play store so I can use it on the roku.

Does not work.

Called in 5 days ago and they are clueless.

After 2 hours on the phone I get we will call you back once tech support figures it out.

Called again today. No status update.

All the forums and google play store itself have people ****** off at slingbox at this app which is premature and a joke.

Why they would make you use your phone to stream it to the roku and not have a standalone roku app is beyond me.

The only reason they do that is to rip people off so they pay $15 for every phone and tablet they own on top of already shelling out $200 - $300 for the slongbox. Shame on you!

Using this on Samsung Galaxy S3 but the Roku stream button does not show.

Have done all the suggestions on the boards like uninstalling and reinstalling on both the phone and roku numerous times. Have reset both as well. Have cleared data as well. Nothing works.

Any suggestions because SlingBox has no clue and seems to not care about customer satisfaction.

I saw an article that said this was supposed to be version 3.0 yet the app shows 2.7.1 yet they say that is the correct version.

Slingbox tech support and customer support are non existant via the forums or by calling.

I can not believe Echostar / Dish Network own this company. Is their satellite service just as bad?

Help?

• Re: ROKU Streamer - No Roku Streamer button showing in Android app download
          craig.sling Novice

Hello cookie7199,

We are sorry that SlingPlayer for Roku is giving you so much trouble. We are in the process of getting this issue resolved. The App should return to the Roku in the very near future. I do want to let you know you are not the only one having this issue and it is a high priority for us to resolve this with Roku. Until then your patience is greatly appreciated - we will release information on the forum front page when this is resolved.

Apologies for the inconvenience,

The Sling Moderation Team

psuKinger

I'm having a similar problem, only with iPhone instead of Android.

I'm using a Slingbox Pro-HD to a Roku 2500X Roku HD (which IS listed as a supported Roku on the Slingbox Support page).

I am using an iPhone 4S, running version 7.0.3 (so post-6.0, which is what I believe the current Support says).  I updated my Slingbox App so that it is the latest-and-greatest version available on the iPhone App Store.

I am not able to get a "to Roku" button, to the right of the volume slider, the way the directions are showing.

I think it's an awesome idea to bring Slingbox to Roku.  Definitely value-added.  Just a suggestion (outside the scope of this issue), but I don't mind at all using my phone to *kick things off* to my Roku, but this will have limited value for me if, unlike a Chromecast-type setup (which I'm hoping Slingbox also makes happen), the phone simply *kicks things over* to the streaming device, and doesn't have to sit there and continue streaming the whole time.  If Slingbox-on-Roku will only work with Roku while simultaneously draining my iPhone battery, this isn't going to be much more than a gimmick for me, personally.  If there's any sort of way to make this more of a Chromecast-style *handoff* of the stream to the Roku, that'd be awesome.

cookie7199

Sling player app back on roku. Still no roku button on the android app. Both roku and android on same wifi network.  Nothing works. Seriously? Do u have a clue on what u r doing? Where is the support? Help.......

Seabass21585

Had the same problem but I found a solution. I thought for weeks what could it be and then it hit me the router. You see my router is old and may not able to sustain the signal strength to stream content from phone to roku. So I updated the router, and then it just worked. So I think it was my seven year old router. It just started working. Maybe that might help some of you.

gskgrp

December 30 2013, Having the EXACT same problem! No Roku Streamer button showing in Android or iPhone/ iPad app. I purchased the overpriced $15 slingplayer app for android and iPhone, $30 in tatal. Why it Does not work? This is "BS".

I will return my slingbox 350 to store.

Goodrich

I have the same Issue. The downloaded app shows version 3.1 for iPad. No streamer function. What version does have the streamer function?

I have Roku 2 XS model connected to my tv.

Doug B

Chesterton

The SlingPlayer that's compatible with ROKU is not the iPad-specific version. It's the iPhone-specific one. But if you install the iPhone SlingPlayer on your iPad, then you can stream to ROKU from it. Sling will likely enhance the iPad-specific version eventually. Since I was already using both the iPhone SlingPlayer on my iPhone, I didn't have to purchase it for the iPad.

I agree that it's a pain that the app must remain active (unlike the Android version), but one thing I do like is that I can quickly switch the output to the iPad, do a sequence of interactive steps, then switch the output back to the ROKU as the output. The native iPad interaction is much less delayed. The other Slingplayer for Connected Devices platforms, like WD TV, Sony GoogleTV, and Netgear NeoTV don't have that ability, so the interaction with delayed remote control can be more annoying with them.

By the way, I've had no issues being able to stream to my ROKU so far. It's worked really well for me.

opto86

OK, here's another person having the same problem.  I can get my slingbox 350 to play on both my Android tablet and Android phone via the two (30 dollars) apps.  I have a Roku3 which works fine as well.  I just can't get the Slingplayer phone to show the Roku button for streaming to my TV.  I have both devices on the same wifi network.  I've disconnected, reconnected, etc., etc. with no solution found.  It also won't let me input the IP address of the Roku.  I've looked it up under settings, about with success.  It immediately says no device can be found, try a different IP address.  Why won't this work?  Why no good support?  Two supposedly great products that won't work together.  Since I don't want or need the phone app to watch on my mobile device in addition to the tablet app, I may just ask Slingbox for a refund until they can fix their problem.  I see a lot of people complaining about no fix and has anyone asked/received a refund for this defective app?  Especially since it doesn't do the one thing that I bought it for?  Is something being worked on for this fix?

KaiserSoze

Due to the previously stated problems here and my own on my Nexus 7 I'll be returning the Roku, Slingbox 500 and requesting a refund on the app from Google Play.

garyh62

Same problem for me.  Installed app (and re-installed many times).  Reset Roku.  Tried manually entering IP address.  The app simply doesn't see the Roku on the network, even though they are on the same network.  192.168.254.108 for the Roku, 192.168.254.129 for the phone.

Thus, I get no Roku icon on the status bar, and the app is useless for me, as I only purchased it for the explicit reason to watch on a remote Roku.

Will request a $15 refund today.

Chesterton

Since I got my Roku 2 for Christmas, I've been having great success using it with my Samsung Galaxy 4 and my Google Nexus 10, connected to my Slingbox SOLO. I use it a lot. The SOLO is remote from the Roku.

opto86

I have tried the same thing as you Cookie, many times now.  I even went and bought an Apple TV since I own Apple products as well.  Of course I had to buy an Apple App from Slingbox in addition to the two Android Apps I already owned.  The Slingplayer App and the Apple TV work as advertised.  I'm really disappointed they can't or don't seem interested in getting the Roku and the Slingplayer to work.  I like the Roku and would never have purchased the Apple TV had things worked as advertised.  I now have a Slingbox 350, a Roku3, and an AppleTV.   I would still love it if they could make the Roku/Slingbox work, but for now I'd be very reluctant to recommend this option for anyone not willing to own another connected device in addition.

garyh62

I did call Sling tech support.  The gentlemen was very helpful, and seemed knowledgable.  He was able to get it working with a test setup he had there using my login id and password, and his local Roku.  But, none of the suggestions he had worked for me on my setup with my Roku LTE.

Interestingly, on a 2nd Roku of mine (Roku 2) it works fine.  However, the Roku 2 is local to the Slingbox itself, and that isn't useful to me.  I need the remote Roku LTE to work with the Android App.

Oh well, I will be connecting the laptop directly to the TV, and that works fine.

The Sling tech support guy gave me the Google Play phone number, and they promptly processed the $14.99 refund.

Frankly, I think the right way to do this is with a Roku app that connects directly to the router instead of this silly phone pass thru.  If they come out with that, I will gladly spend the $15.

ACC189385

I am not sure whether you have finally had success but I can tell you what I did to resolve my situation. I was frustrated as well that even though my Android phone and Roku 2 were network attached to the same subnet, the icon to switch between the Android phone and the Roku was ,issing. It turns out the firewall on my router was blocking traffic between the devices. I had to open up the applications to talk to each other (in my case I allowed any device in the subnet to talk to any other device) and the problem was resolved.

I have been enjoying the ability to sling my DirecTV using my Slingbox 350 from our home in TX to our home in New Mexico. The only downside is the controls are a little quirky under Android and take some getting used to. Good luck.

jceast7

I have the same problem as all the people above.  I have a samsung 5 and loaded the app.  Stream great to the phone but no slider to move to the TV.  In addition, I went to the Setting "About" tab got my IP address and tried to put it into the setting on the app.  it says there is no Roku connected.  Yet it is there.  I went to the firewall and opened up the allowed the communication of my other wireless device but it did not work.  I am really not sure which change to make to the firewall - if you have specifics for Windows 7 and Microsft security essentials - it may be helpful.

Has anyone had success in getting the phone to transfer to the TV?????

Frustrating.  I agree - why and app on the phone - put it on line in the Roku.

Ugh

Jim

PS  my Roku is a 2450X  LT on the top of the box

Chesterton

I have had good success streaming from a galaxy s4 to a roku 2. It works really well. It always sees the roku 2.

Regards,

Ralph

sent from my smart phone

garyh62

Yeah, you already posted this.  It wasn't really relevant the first time in helping those of us with a non working app.  The 2nd post is even less relevant.

ACC189385

Gary - Frustrating to be sure. The app does work on Android as I struggled through this for some time before getting it to work as well. In my case it was my router that managed the subnet. Depending on the make and model of the router, and how sophisticated the router firewall is, makes a difference. One wades into the weeds when trying to figure out what settings to change to allow devices on the same subnet to talk to each other, and it can be very frustrating. In my case I have a small SonicWALL at the remote site from the Slingbox. I finally got it working by sitting down and devoting some time to make the necessary changes without opening myself up to all the idiots on the web. They are the very reason all of the enhanced and narrowed access rules are put in place, especially on the wireless side of things.

I would suggest that if the Slingbox is streaming to the Android device but there is no icon on the android to switch the stream or forward the stream (clunky to be sure and creates another whole layer of challenges to overcome to get working) to the ROKU (in my case a ROKU 2) then the router firewall on the local subnet, where the Android phone and the ROKU device is attached, is the culprit.

The problem is that both the support organizations for Slingbox and ROKU have to deal with an engineered solution with the router in the middle. What the application designers failed to consider is that neitehr company can possibly provide support for all the different makes and models of routing devices out there. This is an engineering mistake on their part in that they have a solution for which this intervening device must be configured correctly for the solution to work.

All I can say is that if you need assistance with making the changes to the router you need to contact perhaps the router manufacturer for help, or find a third party managed services provider.

jceast7

Thanks

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

ACC189385

JCEAST7

I just posted a lengthy reply in this thread below. I believe it is the source of all of these issues people are reporting. Before getting the settings right on the wireless subnet (some routers have a separate wireless subnet from the wired subnet, some "bridge" the wireless subnet to the wired subnet, etc.) in my situation I could clearly see the ROKU and hte Android device on the same subnet. The problem was the firewall was blocking communications between the devices - even on the same subnet. I cannot give precise instructions for your router based on the zillion or so SOHO and small enterprise routers out on the market these days but I would bet the issue is the firewall. Since resolving my issue I have not had one problem with the streaming from the Android to the ROKU other than the quirky Android controls and figuring out how these map to a DirecTV device on the other side of the Slingbox.

Hope this helps - see my post below - Good luck.

garyh62

ACC,

I think your situation is unique, rather than the main issue for most of us.  My router, a Linksys e2500, has no such settings for some internal firewall between wireless subnets.  And I think this is more typical than perhaps what your router supports.

For the Linksys, I can clearly see the android phone IP address and the Roku IP address on the same network within the Linksys network map.  Furthermore, I can ping the Roku from the android phone.

So they can see each other outside of the sling app.  The issue is too prevalent, IMO, to be anything other than a problem with the android app itself.

cjkrolak

Ron,

What service or port did you have to unblock between the LAN devices to get Slingbox to stream to Roku.  Can you provide your router model number and the service or option you had to change to get the streaming to work?