6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2013 11:45 AM by kais RSS

Ipad Slingbox output to and HD TV

mblaksley

Hope you all can help out.  Here's what I'm doing.  I'm using my Ipad 2 to output my slingbox signal to my small HD TV in my trailer.  The hookup is straightforward and works easy (except for the 12 foot HDMI cable) from my apple connector to the TV.  The new software for SB works well.  My problem is how the signal is presented on my HD TV.  Seems like even with an HD channel selected on my cable box I still get "borders" on my TV and not full screen.  It's even worse on a non-HD channel.  So my 20 inch HD TV looks like about 17 in HD and is about 14 on a non HD channel.  I've looked on my TV video setting and don't seem to find any way to expand or zoom it to full screen.  My TV does say I'm getting 1080p when on and HD channel.

Any help or thoughts would be great....I've also looked for a setting on the ipad but not joy.

Best,

• Re: Ipad Slingbox output to and HD TV
          kais

I have the same problem.

Apple Lightning HDMI connector, Apple black HDMI cable, iPad 4th gen, Slingplayer 3.1, Slingbox 500.

Every HD program, even when set to Best HD quality, has black borders on all sides on the TV output. Effectively, the display is zoomed out.

Other apps like the Apple Video app, VLC, etc fill the screen with 16:9 content.

What is going on?

mblaksley

Thanks...I have not been able to solve yet.  Any other thoughts from the forum is appreciated

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

craig.sling Novice

Hello mblaksley,

With that not formatting to the correct screen it sounds like a setting on the Cable box. A good way to check this is to pull up the guide. If you pull up the guide and it only fills 3/4 of the screen you know it is a formatting issue. You can try to change the aspect on the cable box and see if that solves the issue. If it correct the formatting on the iPad you can than change the aspect of the TV to match the new aspect on the cable box. You can also look at the article below.

Hope this helps,

Thank you,

Sling Moderation Team

mblaksley

Thanks....I tried to set up the cable box to a different format but not sure it helped.  I did notice that when I look at the diagnostics while connected to the slingbox and using the sling player sw it brings up a transparent box with lots of info like KBS etc.  It say the slingplayer believes it is using 640x480 for the resolution.  Is that correct for HD and can this be part of my problem?  Can this be manually changed?  Also, I thought on the previous version of the slingplayer sw for ipad that you could change the aspect and zoom right from the ipad?  Or am I mistaken.

Thanks so much for your help.  These are great products but as is always the case they require a bit of tweaking.

Best,

Sent from my iPad

kais

This is NOT a matter of settings on the cable box OR the TV that is receiving the output!

The HDMI output from both the iPhone and iPad via the Lightning HDMI adapter DOES NOT display fullscreen, and is because of the Slingplayer iOS app.

Please stop brushing this issue off!

Look at the screenshot I posted previously and tell me that the HDMI output is not effectively being letterboxed AND pillarboxed.

I blew $30 on these apps for sub par performance and am not satisfied.