21 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2014 8:50 AM by billsteiner RSS

Sling box and Roku

ranricha

I have a slingbox Pro HD in the states but live international.  I am trying to stream my updated sling box app from my iphone 4 ios7 to my ROKU LT but the icon that they show should be there..ROKU.png is not there.  Only my airplay sign is there and Roku does not show up on it.  Both the ROKU and the phone are on the same network.  I am stuck and do not know what I am doing wrong.

Can anyone help?

Thank you,

R

• Re: Sling box and Roku
          craig.sling Novice

Hello ranricha,

Welcome to the answer forums. Were are aware of the issue of the Roku not connecting correctly for some customers and are working on a fix. We apologize for the inconvenience, and appreciate your patience while we get this fixed.

Thank you,

Sling Moderation Team

ranricha

Do you have any idea on timing for the fix?

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hi ranricha,

Are you still having this issue with Roku/Slingbox? I ask because we have fixed it for everyone who reported the issue a few days back and I want to make sure it's working for you as well.

-Matt

ranricha

Matt,I just tried it and I am still not getting the icon on my iphone to sling it to the Roku.  Am I doing something wrong?  Do I need to delete the sling app and re-install it on the Roku?Thanks,Randy

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 09:53:41 -0800

To: ranricha@msn.com

Subject: Re: - Sling box and Roku

Slingbox Answers Forum

Sling box and Roku

reply from Matt.Sling in General questions - View the full discussion

Hi ranricha,

Are you still having this issue with Roku/Slingbox? I ask because we have fixed it for everyone who reported the issue a few days back and I want to make sure it's working for you as well.

-Matt

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in General questions at Slingbox Answers Forum

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Yes, I think an app uninstall/reinstall is an excellent next step at this point. Once you have completed that, let me know if the issue persists.

-Matt

ranricha

Matt, I uninstalled and re-installed both on the Roku and iphone and I still do not have the icon on the sling player.  Do I need to be in the sling channel on the roku?  I am but just making sure.  I am getting the airplay for my appleTV and cable box but nothing for Roku.Please help!Randy

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 10:26:33 -0800

To: ranricha@msn.com

Subject: Re: - Sling box and Roku

Slingbox Answers Forum

Sling box and Roku

reply from Matt.Sling in General questions - View the full discussion

Yes, I think an app uninstall/reinstall is an excellent next step at this point. Once you have completed that, let me know if the issue persists.

-Matt

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in General questions at Slingbox Answers Forum

ACC5841628

I'm in the same boat.  Slingbox 500 (updated with latest firmware), Roku 3 (updated with latest firmware), iPad2 with latest iOS7.  No option for Roku.  Tried also on iPhone4.  Same result.

In short... it doesn't work, folks.  Please... PLEASE... post something on your main forums about this, before too many more poor saps stupidly spend hundreds of dollars on things that don't perform as advertised.

GaryWHolland

Obviously this product wasn't quite ready for primetime. I'm in the same spot as many who are posting here. I purchased the Slingbox 350 and 2 additional Roku 2xs to use at a beach home property out of state. I had no problems with the Slingbox setup in fact it works great just streaming to my laptop and to my android device an HTC One. The problems begin when you try to stream from the smartphone to the Rokus. I get the arrow that gives you the choice to stream to the Rokus. However when I try to connect I get an error message telling me I need to download the Slingplayer software for the Rokus. I have installed and uninstalled numerous times on both Rokus and the smartphone. Nothing seems to work. I have contacted both Sling Media and Roku tech support on 2 different occasions to no avail. Neither company seems to know whose problem this issue is. Meanwhile I have a couple of additional Rokus I've spent money for to work away from home. My problem is how long I should wait before trying to return them to Amazon for a refund. If worse comes to worse I'll stream the Slingbox to my laptop and just run the output to my TV via HDMI while I'm at the beach. I agree with you these guys should never have released this software to the public costing the consumer hundreds of dollars if it hadn't fully vetted it. I hate when these companies release stuff and expect the consumer to beta test stuff that doesn't work!

ACC5841628

The real disappointment is the lack of serious responsiveness on their part.  It is pretty clear that they are not taking this problem seriously... at the very least, they should have had someone on these forums responding to the customers who have hit this (you and I included).

I'm pretty disillusioned.  If they haven't done anything by the time early January rolls around, I'll become a great deal more vocal to them.

GaryWHolland

Yes I know what you mean. Since I posted my first reply to you I recieved  a call back from Roku tech support. I'm not really sure what level the guy was, however he was definitely off shore. He had me describe the problem again for at least the third time to Roku support. He had me go through all of the usual stuff like power cycling my router, verify IP addresses, etc. all of which I've done already with Sling Media and on my own. He said he was going to refer the problem up to a higher level of support and they would try and replicate the issue. I'm really wondering if all we're really getting is lip service because it's as though neither company has a clue as to whose problem this really is. All I know is I've got 2 unopened Roku devices that I may have to return to Amazon because I don't want to risk not being able to return them for credit. It sure doesn't sound like these two companies are going to fix this anytime soon.You know I'm really not sure why they designed this to have to have an intermediate 3rd party device ie., Android, iPad, iPhone, etc. to make all of this happen. The Slingbox is a great piece of equipment and the Roku IMHOP is the best streaming device on the market, so why couldn't they have just come up with a native app in the Roku itself to do this like the Apple TV or the NetGear streamer or the Western Digital box. The sad part of this is that their are still unsuspecting consumers out there who are probabaly ordering this stuff as we speak!

Rolf817

Ah... nice to see (kinda) people having the same issue as me.

I downloaded the slingplayer to one of my roku's , fired up my phone and loved it.

Worked like a charm, and very impressed.  My issue comes because I have TWO

roku's.  After firing up my other roku, the slingplayer automatically installed on it. One

time, my phone asked me which roku I wanted to stream to... but it never did stream to

it.  Has not worked since and never asks me which roku to use. If I try to use it on my

livingroom roku and go into the bedroom where the other roku is.. it will be on (light on)

That TV/roku is where the slingplayer is installed, but I see now way to use differnt software

on each roku.. IE.. can I just have the slingplayer software on the living room TV?? I think

the fact that I have two roku's is why nothing works. ....... *help*

Rolf817

Ah... nice to see (kinda) people having the same issue as me.

I downloaded the slingplayer to one of my roku's , fired up my phone and loved it.

Worked like a charm, and very impressed.  My issue comes because I have TWO

roku's.  After firing up my other roku, the slingplayer automatically installed on it. One

time, my phone asked me which roku I wanted to stream to... but it never did stream to

it.  Has not worked since and never asks me which roku to use. If I try to use it on my

livingroom roku and go into the bedroom where the other roku is.. it will be on (light on)

That TV/roku is where the slingplayer is installed, but I see now way to use differnt software

on each roku.. IE.. can I just have the slingplayer software on the living room TV?? I think

the fact that I have two roku's is why nothing works. ....... *help*

sdavis1854

I have a somwhat different issue, but related I think.  I have sling Pro HD at my home in NY, I work in Bangkok most of the year - sling to my iPad2, iPhone4S IOS7 or my PC works great, no issues.  Getting to to work via Roku, different story - I get the little arrow symbol and the connection from my iPhone to the TV via Roku 2 begins ....then promply freezes within seconds.  I've uninstalled/reinstalled my iphone sling app and the lsing channel on Roku as advised several times - no change.  Channel works initially then freezes within seconds.  Mirroring Sling to my Apple TV in the bedroom works fine (I couldnt do AppleTV for my living room as the TV had no HDMI input)

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them!

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hello ranricha,

If you are still having issues with your streaming icon no appearing, try these steps:

• Stop streaming and start streaming again on the phone app.
                                    • Reboot the Roku player (it may take up to 5 minutes after rebooting for the Roku to be discovered).
                                    • Reset the Roku’s network connection.

Let me know if the issue persist after taking these steps.

Thanks,

Matt

ACC5841628

No offense, Matt.Sling, but those sort of cut-n-paste customer service responses really just infuriate folks.  I cannot speak for ranricha, but I can tell you I've done all of that, and more.  I've deleted and redownloaded the app on my iPad, I've switched Rokus (I have multiple Rokus), I've changed routers (I had an older router to try), I've tried it both with .g and .n protocols... frankly, I've tried every logical combination that you're going to recommend (and many more). 

In short... your software is broken.  I cannot say whether it is Slingplayer, or some wierdness with Roku's hardware/firmware, but I can tell you that this doesn't work.  It doesn't work on Roku 3, Roku 2, SlingPlayer on iPad, SlingPlayer on iPhone4.  You guys released a software package (horribly overpriced, mind you) that does... not... work.  And now you're throwing generic responses on here

I strongly suggest that SlingBox take a strong move here and make a public announcement of this problem... because if you get a sufficient critical mass of customers (like me) who spent 3-500 on Sling+software+Roku for the specific purpose of using it to sling their TV to another room, which you claim in all advertising it will do... well, you may find yourselves in a class action lawsuit.  I can tell you for certain that if this isn't fixed by the new year, I'll be actively seeking to support such an action. 

As a business man, I totally understand the desire to ship a product for the holiday season.  I even understand the fact that you may have shipped something before it was ready... you're far from the first company to do so.  However, doing so and then pretending you don't know anything about a problem is just insulting.  Time to show your company's mettle, and admit your error... and then announce a timetable for resolution.  You've had weeks now of knowing about this problem with only a couple of generic responses on your forums.

Step up, be professional, and do something about this. 

ranricha

Matt,

I am still having the same issues as I did before.  It seems others are getting the icon at least, I am not even getting that.

Is there an update coming I should be aware of?  It sounds like I am not the only one having issues.

Thanks,

Randy

joelake

Following all your instrutions, I have connected successfully, the iPhone thinks the pictures should be there, but is not.

mbial

Bump.

Any response from the Sling Team?  Can you at least announce your intentions one way or the other?  I implore you to relaunch the Roku Channel as a proper, stand-alone app just like on GoogleTV and WDTV Live which have been available for years.  This channel (and the additional requirement of it piggybacking on your customers' other devices) is insulting.

billsteiner Newbie

Been trying to make this work since the announcement but it failed, failed, falied. I see the icon that allows me to stream to the Roku but I keep getting the following message:

Download SlingPlayer For Roku

The SlingPlayer app for Roku must be downloaded before you can continue. Please download the app and retry.

Retry                    Cancel

What app are they referring to. I have the latest Android app for my Nexus 5 phone and the latest firmware for my Solo and my Pro HD and I have the Slingbox app on the Roku what else do I need?

I have uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted, restarted and still it fails. Both are on the same Wi-Fi network but nothing.

And I have to agree with mbial's post.

GaryWHolland

Bill,

I had the exact problem you are having. I received the same error messages you've been getting.I have a Sling Box 350 and I downloaded the latest version of the Sling app for Android. I have done everything that Sling has told me to do as well as speaking to Roku support. Nothing worked and I got the feeling each one Sling & Roku were trying to place the blame for a completely failed app on each other. To make a long story short I gave up and bought a WDLive which has a freestanding app native to the streaming device. The WDLive works beautifully. The Sling app for Android works great if you just want to watch on the smartphone. That said Roku and Sling should get together and come up with a native app for the Roku, then maybe their customers might be happy.

Gary

billsteiner Newbie

Gray, I too have moved to the WD unit and find it so much better. I have a SlingPlayer that I used in my house in Brazil over a DSL line and the results were poor at best.  I was streaming from SlingBox's in New York and California. I now use the WD box over the same network and I get HD streams.

I have been using Sling products for over 10 years and in that time, I have found Sling non responsive to customer issues.