4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2010 8:51 AM by docprego RSS

Would the Pro HD model offer any advantages over the SOLO for mobile viewing?

docprego

I already have a Solo and just got a new EVO 4G.  Once the Android  app becomes available I really would like to be able to watch my COX HD  DVR on my EVO 4G.  Would there be any reason to upgrade to the Pro HD  model from the SOLO with just the goal of mobile viewing?  Does content  get streamed in HD to a mobile device?  I understand that the Pro HD  will be vastly better on my home network but I don't need it for that.   Thanks!

• Re: Would the Pro HD model offer any advantages over the SOLO for mobile viewing?
          eferz Expert

Here's the basic canned response you'll get regarding interactivity with the Slingbox and unreleased products.

Dear  <insert your name here>,

Thanks for  participating in the Slingbox Answers Forum!  We don't comment on unreleased products or release dates here, but we can tell you that we are working hard on update to SlingPlayer Mobile for <insert brand here> that will be a great user experience.  Here's a link to a great FAQ page on our website with answers to the  most common questions  about the Slingbox:

http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-solo-faq
          http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-prohd-faq

Here's the basic comparison between the two

Selecting the Right Slingbox is Easy

SLINGBOX PRO-HD

Watch and control multiple devices - including your  standard- or high-definition DVR, digital cable, satellite receiver, or  DVD player - from anywhere on your computer or mobile phone.

SLINGBOX SOLO

Watch and control either your favorite standard-definition  (SD) or high-definition (HD) source from anywhere, whether it's your  satellite receiver, digital cable, DVR, or DVD player.

FEATURES
          SLINGBOX PRO-HD
          SLINGBOX SOLO
          Watch  and control live or recorded TV from any PC, Mac desktop or  laptop  computer
          dotdot
          Watch  and control live or recorded TV from compatible mobile  phones
          dotdot
          Connect  any Standard Definintion (SD) or High Definition (HD)  television device  - cable/satellite set-top box, DVR, DVD player or  Media Center
          dotdot
          Streams  Standard Definition
          dotdot
          Streams  High Definition
          dot
          Built-in  tuner avoids conflict with viewers at home
          dot
          Built-in  analog & HD digital (Clear QAM) cable tuner
          dot
          Built-in  analog & HD digital (ATSC) antenna tuner
          dot
          Connect  and control multiple audio / video sources
          dot
          Digital  audio inputs
          dot

Now regarding mobile streaming to the HTC EVO 4G.  Since it comes with 800 x 480 pixel resolution, it is not considered a high definition display.  The nice thing about both Slingbox models is that it will adjust its transcoding output resolution based on the client that is connected to it.  So, not only does it provide a good quality picture but it also ensures a minimal bandwidth requirement.  Which is 150 Kbps or higher for the Slingplayer Mobile.