38 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2013 6:49 AM by ines5535 RSS

Remote won't change channel

Space55

My iPad or iphone wont turn on the DirecTv box. If the box is on it won't change the channels. If someone is home, I can have them change the channel with the remote then everthing works from my iPad. I need help fixing this.

• Re: Remote won't change channel
          ACC1300035

I am having same issue. Cannot change channels on ipad ,either through ipad remote or clicking on show icon .

jbonja

I'm having same problem with ipad but the PC version will change the channel.  the only difference is new update to ipad version.  my iphone seems to work but not sure if I updated that software or not.

alanrichey42 Master

jbonja wrote:

I'm having same problem with ipad but the PC version will change the channel.  the only difference is new update to ipad version.  my iphone seems to work but not sure if I updated that software or not.

Looks like you two have different problems then.   If the PC version works then the Slingbox is fine.   I can think of no obvious reason why the iPad will not control it, to my knowledge that has never been reported here on the forum.   I take it you have uninstalled it and then reinstalled ?   (Might actually be worth doing an iTunes Sync after you have uninstalled it to REALLY make sure it has gone).

Cujo

I have the same issues on my ipad...new version of app.  Old version of app on iPhone works fine

Deleted and reinstalled app on ipad...no luck

alanrichey42 Master

I repeat my posted question for the THIRD time (Does no-one ever read these threads properly before posting ?)

What happens on the PC ?  You MUST run these sort of tests to decide if the fault lies with the Slingbox or the iPad.

Cujo

PC (or MacBook in this case) not available as I'm on the road.  Will be for a couple of weeks.  I will be sure to fire up the computer when I get home and can analysis the problem from my own network.

But it the mean time, I know my IR blaster thingee works because I can operate everything perfectly on my iPhone (with the old version of the app installed) from my hotel room.  Pick up the ipad (with the new version installed), in the same hotel room, same wifi, .... the remote on the ipad does not work.  Plain and simple.  One works, one don't.  Different versions of the app

Not sure what the PC has to do with either of these devises while on the road

ppissierssens Newbie

OK let me make it more clear (I do read your posts). First of all I do not use a PC. I use a Macbook. On the Macbook everything works fine: remote shows up (both for the inbuilt TV tuner AND for a settop box).Until yesterday when I installed the update for the iPad everything worked fine on the iPad too: could change channels without a problem. HOWEVER once I installed the updated software on the iPad (when I started up the slingbox app I was actually invited to install the update so I did). NOW I can no longer get the remote to come up: when I click on the remote icon in the top right, nothing happens. When I click on the icon with 3 rows of dots I get a pop up with "Enter channel). When I enter a channel there then watch, also nothing happens. When I go to setting the buttons for account, slingbox directory, general, video quality work BUT not the button sources. Is this sufficient info now? Seems to me the fault is with the app.

alanrichey42 Master

Is this sufficient info now? Seems to me the fault is with the app.

Perfect, I wish everyone would put in a report like that first time.  It would save everyone a lot of wasted time.   BTW, when I say PC I include the Mac in that statement.

The whole point of that is that you need to figure out whether the fault actually lies with the iPad or whether it is with the Slingbox.  By testing it on another system (in your case the iPhone) you have now proven the Slingbox is not at fault and it really is the iPad app that is the problem.

Also, you appear to have a totally different problem to everyone else (unless they haven't reported it correctly either).  They have all given the impression that they are tapping on the remote but it doesn't change channel (as stated in the Subject line of the thread).   You are telling me the Remote Image doesn't even appear, i.e. the image file isn't being downloaded correctly.   As this is a completely different fault you should really have started a new thread as this thread is discussing something different.

Unfortunately I have no idea why the image is not appearing.  My expertise is in the building and installing of remotes into the Slingbox, not the iPad app.  So I shall have to leave this one for the moderators.   But as I said before the title of this thread is not relevant to your problem so I suggest you start a new thread with the Subject Line "Remote Image not appearing on iPad app"   That might attract more attention of the moderators as it is a unique problem as far as I know.

Al

jjacobson

on nov 17 with the update my ipad will not change channels with the remote. it works on my galaxy note 3 and my pc. the old ver worked fine. i called tech support and they said it was a apple problem. Just give me my old version back. at least it worked.

dbhovel

I think I know what the problem is.  With DirectTV remotes there is no "enter" key, so you have to enter the parts of a channel number (e.g. 2-0-2) relatively quickly or the system will just change to channel 2 or 0 or 20 (in this case).  Older versions of the iPad SlingPlayer (and versions for Android and Windows, etc.) send each "digit" command as quickly as you type it, which worked.  Now, with the new app, they digits are delayed and the app is seriously broken.

This is true whether you enter the digits manually or use the feeble "guide".   It's a serious bug in the app and very UNLIKELY to be an Apple problem.  You can see what's happening if you watch the digits of the channel number being entered on the "banner" display at the top of the DirectTV screen.

ppissierssens Newbie

I just installed the new version 3.0.1 and the remote control problems  has been solved! Brownie points for Slingbox. Just wished they would  have admitted the problem from the start rather than blaming it on  Apple. Anyway all is well that ends well.

ines5535 Newbie

I wished that they put the remote icon to the left and not the last one to the right when they frigging offered to invite us to update the app.. Cause I or we need the remote to appear on the screen.... Still going tru postings to find my solution... My computer w windows and slingbox app works fine. Is not the slingbox, It's the ipad the prob after this update today...will keep reading and searching to fix it.. Give me my old app version back?

ines5535 Newbie

Nah... They should had put the remote icon first from left to right., I think the remote is lost on the ipad small screen..the rest of the buttons we click we get windows w menus except the remote icon the last one to the right..

dbhovel

ONLY MARGINALLY BETTER.

I just tried version 3.1.  Although the "guide" sometimes works, it often fails.  Worse, using the remote control is STILL BROKEN.  Again, the digits are sent too slowly to be recognized as a channel number by my DirecTV receiver.

As a developer myself, I really wonder about their testing and quality control procedures.

ines5535 Newbie

Hmm now when I click on the screen I get this diagnostic pop up,, it hope they are fixing it..

craig.sling Novice

Hello All,

Thank you for all of the information. We have now released a newer version of the App and that version is 3.1. If you could all uninstall and reinstall to the newest version that should correct most if not all of the issues. If you are installing from iCloud please delete the information from the Cloud and reinstall from iTunes.

Thank you All,

Sling Moderation Team

ines5535 Newbie

Please tell me how I delete the app from cloud so I can reinstall from apple store?

They should not charge me another $14.99 if I delete from cloud to them get from the apple store right?

All I have done so many times I stopped counting but maybe 20 or 25 times already, is I click the icon for the slingbox and when it wiggles I delete with also deleting the data and then I search for the app at apple store and I see a cloud and an arrow pointing down and I click on it and it reinstall the app again to the desktop screen on the ipad. That's the only way I know to reinstall apps..