6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2013 12:22 PM by mikaeldafonseca RSS

Internal STB

mikaeldafonseca

Hi,

Is there any solution when I have an internal HD STB in my TV? Its a CA-module that also is an HD STD (provider Comhem in Sweden)

This means I have no external STB.

Thanks

Mikael

• Re: Internal STB
          craig.sling Novice

Hello mikaeldafonseca,

Welcome to the answer forums. It sounds like the two new boxes may not be correct for you. I think that the best fit would be the Slingbox Pro HD. This box would give you an internal tuner and would allow you to have the Slingbox hooked to its own cable and it would tune the channels for you. You can look into these units on our suggested retailers and I will post there link below.

Hope this helps,

Thank you,

Sling Moderation Team

alanrichey42 Master

Not sure I agree with the moderator here.  If your TV has an internal STB then I assume it also has the appropriate video/audio outputs on the back of the TV to feed other devices ?    If so there is nothing to stop you plugging them into a Slingbox.  The downside is that to view the Slingbox you would have to have the TV turned on.   And, of course, if you change channel via the Slingbox then the channel on the TV would chnage as well.

So technically possible but maybe not desirable.

craig.sling Novice

Hello alanrichey42,

This is a good point. If the TV has AV out you could use one of the newer boxes as long as you can get a remote made for that TV. Alan you would be a great person to help create the remote until we could have one integrated into the new Slingboxs.  With my experience with 2 in 1 TVs I have never found one with an external AV out. Being that I have never messed with a TV that had a internal cables box only TVs with only free to view coaxial converters and DVD/ VCR built into a TV, witch none had an AV out I would still say that the Slingbox Pro HD is the best for the application at hand. If you would like a newer Slingbox than the Pro HD and you TV does not have an AV out I would suggest looking into a Digital Cable Converter. You can pick these up at almost any electronic store and it would tune your Coaxial to a AV source that the 350 and 500 can use.

I hope this helps,

Thank you

Sling Moderation Team

mikaeldafonseca

Hi

Many thanks for your quick replies. I think the absolute best and easist way for me is to use my other, secondary TV with an external STD. I just discovered it was an HD box with components interface (which I never thought) so I just ordered my Slingbox 350 and hopefully everthing will work.

Another Q -  if I have two iPads + two Apple TVs connected to different TVs (from the same Slingbox) what happens when I change TV channel?

Many thanks for your proffessional help in this

Mikael

alanrichey42 Master
                        Many thanks for your quick replies. I think the absolute best and easist way for me is to use my other, secondary TV with an external STD. I just discovered it was an HD box with components interface (which I never thought) so I just ordered my Slingbox 350 and hopefully everthing will work.

Why do you need another TV ?   Most STBs come with composite or component outputs to plug directly into the 350.   The TV is irrelevant.

Another Q -  if I have two iPads + two Apple TVs connected to different TVs (from the same Slingbox) what happens when I change TV channel?

Forget about Slingboxes, STBs and TVs, just think about TV 'sources'.    When you change channel using Slingplayer you are changing the channel on the TV 'source'.   So, for example if you had a STB (TV source) feeding both a TV and your Slingbox then they are sharing the same 'source'.  So if you change channel it changes on both.    If you have a separate STB feeding each one then they will act independently.

I like to consider the Slingbox as just a 'dumb' TV Monitor (i.e. it relies on something else for it's TV signal) that just happens to send it's image down the Internet rather than displaying it on a screen.

Can't really explain it any better without knowing your setup (Cable/Satellite/OTA) and what type of external box you use.    If you take my setup for example (UK), I have a TV that picks up Over-the-Air (OTA) broadcasts through a Coax aerial.   I also have a Sky Satellite box that feeds both the TV and the Slingbox.   Now, if my wife is watching the TV using the satellite input and I am watching it on my iPad and I change channel then the TV changes channel as well (and she shouts at me)  This is because we are both watching the same 'source' (The satellite).    However, if she is watching a channel using the OTA source and I change channels on the iPad, then hers doesn't change becasue we are watching different sources.

Make sense ?

mikaeldafonseca

Hi Alan,

Thanks a lot for your suport on this. Yes, it now makes sense. I don't know I have had so much issues understanding the logic with Slingboxes but now everything is clear. Tomorrow I will get my 350 so it feels like I am really mentally prepared.

Thanks again

Mikael