7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2010 3:38 PM by ranaleon RSS

SPM 2.0 on WM 6.5.x on VGA

jakester

I am running SPM 2.0 on WinMo 6.5.x on an HTC Fuze (AT&T).  This setup has been working great for several months, but now it will not connect.  The box is a Slingplayer AV.  I have not changed the router configuration.  I can still connect to the AV from Win 7 and Win XP computers.  Nothing changed, yet SPM 2.0 will no longer connect.  When it was working, I would sometimes get a message during startup that said "2.0 may not work with your older Slingplayer AV", but it always did work anyway.  Now, however, it does not connect at all.

I uninstalled SPM 2.0 then installed SPM 1.6 which still works on the Fuze.  I don't want to stay with SPM 1.6, because the bottom toolbar does not work well under WinMo 6.5.x and I cannot switch to landscape display.  After ensuring that SPM 1.6 still works (it does), I uninstalled 1.6 then reinstalled 2.0.  Same problem -- no connect.  I have also observed that the SPM 2.0 login process takes much longer than it used to.  A couple of weeks ago, I could start SPM 2.0, hit login with my saved userid/pw, and it would very quickly connect to my AV box and begin streaming in landscape mode.  Finger menus worked great, and the overall SPM 2.0 experience was a big improvement.

Has something changed with Slingplayer support over the internet?  Why would SPM 2.0 no longer work with an AV box when it worked just fine for several months?  Or have I made a stupid mistake?

• Re: SPM 2.0 on WM 6.5.x on VGA
          Apprentice

Hi, jakester.

Thank you for participating in the Slingbox Answers Forums!

Even though you say that you are able to get the connection using your PC's, we would like to know if you are able to get the remote connection (using a different network).

According to the information you are providing, it sounds as if the issue is related to the Slingbox Internet Viewing feature. Can you confirm this situation and post it back?

Regards,
          The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team.

jakester

Thanks -- I could use your help.  It appears that the Internet Viewing Feature is not working for me, although it has previously been working for many months.  I have attempted to set up Internet Viewing again, but the setup fails.

Configuration

Slingbox AV with latest firmware 1.12

Router:  Linksys WRT54GS with stock firmware, IP addr 192.168.1.1

Windows 7 PC on router wired port

Windows XP PC on router wired port

Slingbox AV on router wired port

Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware connected to router wired port (configured as repeater)

1 or 2 additional PCs connected to router wirelessly at various times

External access via AT&T Fuze, Windows Mobile 6.5.3, SPM 1.6 or 2.0

The above configuation worked well with Slingbox for several months, both on local network and from external networks such as AT&T 3G.

First attempt to configure Internet Viewing was to use Slingplayer PC.  Setup failed, because the Slingplayer wizard could not login to the router.  It said that my userid or pw was incorrect.  However, I triple checked the userid and pw, and they are correct.

Second attempt to configure -- used setup procedure from watch.slingbox.com.  Got same error -- userid or pw incorrect trying to login to the router.

Third attempt to configure -- manual.  Connected to router with addr 192.168.1.1 from my browser.  Logged on with userid and pw (the same ones that would not work with Sling wizards), and logon was successful.  Configured the following port:

Slingplayer  5001 5001 Both 192.168.1.104 Enable

Saved settings successfully.  Internet viewing still does not work.  Can use Slingbox fine on the local network, but not from an outside network.

[Another question -- the router local table says that the Slingbox has IP addr 192.168.1.104, so that is what I put in the port table.  The Slingplayer wizard says that the Slingplayer IP address is 192.168.1.254.  Why the 254 in the manual instructions?  Is that just supposed to be a representative example and not the actual address of my Slingbox?]

So... even though I could not get the wizards to logon to the router and complete Internet Viewing setup, I was able to complete manual configuration.  However, viewing from an outside network still does not work.  I cannot locate what I am doing differently from when this setup was working a couple of weeks ago.  Why would my userid/pw work on the router from a manual login but not from the Slingplayer wizards?  Do you see what I am doing wrong?  Thanks for you help.  I love Slingbox and will eventually upgrade to a newer model.

eferz Expert

If Universal Plug & Play (uPnP) isn't enabled on the router while the wizard is trying to connect, then it will tell you that the credentials are wrong.  It just unable to connect.

As far as not being sure about the address for the port forwarding, the best way to get the correct information is from the Slingplayer Software.  From the command bar, go to Help | About Slingbox <model> (Alt+E) | Information tab and in the "LAN" subsection you'll see "IP Address" and "Port" that is the correct information for the port forwarding rule.

Unfortunately, I can't help you in regards to SPM for WM.  But a good test is to connect over the internet with another computer or laptop with Slingplayer Desktop.

Bryanod Novice

This is a eay one.  did it configure automaticlly when you set it up last?  Only upnp supported routers can do that..  why is it now working now?  Take the Linksys WRT54G off the router then factor reset the other then run the setup again it will work just like last time

Apprentice

Hi, jakester.

Just checking, we would like to know if the information provided here helped you to find a solution for the reported issue. We'd love to know your results!

Regards,

jakester

Thanks for following up.

I was eventually able to get it working again.  Setting the router configuration manually did not work.  I reset the router and stopped all Windows programs and then was finally able to get the wizard to complete auto config.  After that, it started working.  I double checked, and the router configuration was still the same as I had done manually.  Don't know why the wizard solution worked but manual config did not.

The point is now moot for me.  I have since upgraded my phone to an Android model.  I purchased Slingplayer Mobile for Android and got it working on the first attempt.  The Android version is a good first release, but it needs some enhancements, which I have contributed to the appropriate forum.  Audio only, better HD support, and better button layout are all needed.  A major omission is the lack of a Favorites bar that was present in the WM version.  Without Favorites support, the Android version is cumbersome when changing channels.

Overall, Slingbox products are terrific, and the mobile players are the best available mobile TV option, however, they still need significant usability enhancements.

Thanks,

Rick

Apprentice

Great! We are glad to know that you were able to find the solution for this issue. On the other hand, we encourage you to post your comments about the features you would like to get on the SPM for the Android using the related community. We would like to know about them!

Thank you!

Regards,