14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2013 6:36 PM by ferguspa RSS

Why were PageUp and PageDown commands disabled on smartphone apps?!!

Daboodah

It appears that the PageUp and PageDown DVR commands have been disabled on both iPhone and Android phone apps.  My hardware at home has remained UNCHANGED, yet some app upgrade recently removed (Android) or disabled (iOS) these buttons.  Why?  The commands obviously still work, and I can prove this because the iPad app still provides these buttons on the remote...and they do work!

Sling Media mentions these bugs and claims they are problems with certain receivers.  That may be true, but this bug didn't exist before they released one of their recent app updates.  This was a bug introduced by an upgrade to smartphone apps.  Considering how much we pay for this app (some of us multiple times for different devices), this is very disappointing.

• Re: Why were PageUp and PageDown commands disabled on smartphone apps?!!
          anthony.sling Apprentice

Hey Daboodah,

The page up and page down buttons should still be working. They are located under the D-Pad Controls in the remote features.

This link will show you where it is located.

Since it is no longer working on your phones, I would recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the application. If this does not solve the issue, I would try reconfiguring the remote control to see if reloading the settings will help.

This articles will explain how to uninstall and reconfigure:

Best Regards,

Sling Media Moderation Team

Daboodah

Thank you.  I appreciate your quick response, however, the problem still exists for me on both my Galaxy S3 and my brand new iPhone 5C.  I uninstalled and reinstalled on my Galaxy S3, and the iPhone was a completely new phone, so the install was fresh on the iPhone.  As I mentioned, this is a problem that seems to have been introduced after an update this past summer, and the problem did NOT exist prior to that upgrade.  Please don't tell me this is not an issue, as I am sitting here experiencing it on two distinct devices.

I am attaching 2 screen shots.  One shows that the PageUp/PageDown buttons on my Galaxy S3 simply are no longer there.  The other shows them appearing on the iPhone running iOS7, but they do not function (and actually appear to be grayed out, which makes me think the developers did this for a reason).  I made the iOS screen shot with the DVR purposely tuned to an unsupported channel to make the SlingPlayer buttons easier to see, but be assured that I tested the buttons on both the channel guide as well as the playlist screens, and the buttons are clearly disabled.  On the Android screen shot, the PageUp/PageDown buttons used to appear on the right-hand-side of the D-pad screen shown, but now only the single arrow up and arrow down appear.

What do I need to do to file a formal bug report?

Thanks for your time.

alanrichey42 Master

This is not necessarily an iPhone issue, it is actually device-specific and no point do you tell us which DVR you are trying to control ?   The Sling engineers will need to know that if they are to trace the problem. 

And I know you say the iPad app is working, but does the same apply to the PC Player as well ?   If so they, of course, both use realstic remote images wheres the iPhone and Android use default remotes so that would also be relevant.

BTW, the buttons work perfectly on my iPhone controlling a UK Sky+ DVR so it is not a systemic problem with the app, it is probably just the button mapping in the IR database on the Sling server for your specific DVR has gone awry.

Daboodah

I agree with you and believe it is likely an issue with the DirecTV DVR model and not the device running the mobile app.  My Slingbox Pro HD is connected to a DirecTV HR24-100 DVR.  I did read in these forums somewhere that there might be some issues with certain DVRs, but my main point is that the PageUp/PageDown buttons used to be present and working in my Android app connecting to the exact same setup (same Slingbox, same router, same DVR).  Since the update, the buttons have been removed (at least in Android app), so I don't even have a way to tell if they wouldn't work due to IR code issues.  This is obviously an intentional design move (removal of buttons in GUI) by the developers/engineers, but there is no formal mention of this in any of the update notes that I have seen.

Thanks again for your response.  It's good to know these are being read.

Merry Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

alanrichey42 Master
                          I agree with you and believe it is likely an issue with the DirecTV DVR model and not the device running the mobile app.  My Slingbox Pro HD is connected to a DirecTV HR24-100 DVR.

All DirecTV boxes use the same codes so it is worth trying another few to see if it works.   If you don't have any success I can probably build you a Custom Remote that will work.

This is obviously an intentional design move (removal of buttons in GUI) by the developers/engineers, but there is no formal mention of this in any of the update notes that I have seen.

No, you misunderstand how the system works.   The remote is based on a Binary file that is stored inside the Slingbox and it is then used by all the viewing platforms.   The iPhone and Android apps will first examine this file and determine which buttons have been defined and will display/activate them accordingly.    What appears to have happened is that Binary file for the DirecTV HR24-100 has been changed and the Page Up/Down codes have changed.   Accordingly, the apps, quite rightly, remove/deactivate those buttons. 

In my case, for example, the iPhone app looks at the Sky+ Binary file in my Slingboxes, sees the PageUp/PageDn codes have been coded and displays/activates the buttons.

So as I said before, it has absolutely nothing to do with the iPhone app update, the problem is a badly configured Binary file on the Sling servers and that is what the Sling engineers will have to check.

My offer of producing a working version for you still stands, as I guess Sling will take weeks to address this.

Al