9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2014 1:42 PM by ferguspa RSS

data usage using home network?

gb11

I've recently moved to a rural address and have had to resort to HughesNet. Data caps are now dictating everything I do. I know that watching on a remote device away from the home network requires the entire content to be uploaded, then downloaded. My question is, how much data is used when watching on the home network? Tech support says it has to use some, but could not specify how much data remains internal. Seems odd that the process would be the same for in-home and remote, but they couldn't say for sure. Anyone with better skills than mine ever test this?

• Re: data usage using home network?
          gb11

I've been reading other threads on this topic but I'm still not convinced. People have responded with the logical answer - when using the home network, it doesn't need the internet so it doesn't use it. However, tech support would not, or could not, varify. I'm looking for someone who has monitored and compared both types of usage. Any network techies out there?

GroveSB

I have the same issue. I live in a rural area also and my internet is expensive and limited. The reason I purchased a Slingbox was so that I could watch TV in other rooms in my old home without extensive wiring being added. I want to use my laptop or another smart TV. I wrongly assumed that I could use my home network  router and send the TV signal to another device in the same way I send a file to my wireless printer within my home - NOT USING EXPENSIVE INTERNET DATA.

Before I bought the slingbox 350, I read all the info online and I still I did not understand what I was told by tech support on the phone today - the ONLY way it works is that the TV signal from the Slingbox is uploaded to the internet, then one watches the programming through the internet. Can't afford do that here! The tech support person didn't seem to understand that not everyone has affordable, unlimited internet access.

I am surprised and disappointed that the internet must be used.

AM I CORRECT?

Ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Meg

gb11

The Slingbox does use some uploaded and downloaded data within a home network, but I tried ferguspa's suggestion in an earlier post. I started a program, then physically unplugged the Hughesnet modem. After twenty minutes, the program was still running. Since there was no chance of running on outside or buffered data, I'm pretty sure that it was transferring the program within the home network alone. I'd prefer a difinitive answer from tech support, but they couldn't anwer my questions either.

ferguspa Apprentice

With Watch on Slingbox.com you'll need an Internet connection to start the stream (bullet point #1), but not to keep the stream going once it's started.  Pull the WAN (Internet) plug on your Internet access once the stream has started and see what happens.  There is a wild chance your networking equipment would not allow a wired device (Slingbox 350) talk directly to a wireless device (laptop).  Essentially causing the Slingbox and the SlingPlayer client to believe they're not on the same LAN, but that would be incredibly rare.