10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2013 12:39 PM by skydyver RSS

Want to use Slingplayer with new iPad - questions

skydyver

I just ordered a new iPad Mini with Retina Display this morning.  Should be delivered next week.  I'd like to be able to watch video from my Slingbox, but I have a few problems and need some help and advice.

I have a Slingbox Pro (not HD) right now.  The input is via coax from a small adapter box from my cable company.  It works great for sending video to my PC and I'm able to get all my non-HD channels, but I read that I can't use a Slingbox Pro to play video via the Slingplayer on my new iPad.  Is this correct?

After reading that the Slingbox Pro won't work with the iPad I picked up a Slingbox Solo.  The problem is the only output from the cable adapter is coax.  The Solo had no coax input.  The only coax to component converters I can find are ridiculously expensive.  Is there a cheap, easy way to hook up a coax to a Solo?  Or can I just keep using my Pro with the iPad?  Or am I just SOL?

Thanks!

• Re: Want to use Slingplayer with new iPad - questions
          ferguspa Apprentice

Regarding compatibility, How to watch TV on your iPad with your older-model Slingbox:

"If you have an Apple iPad, you may not be able to use SlingPlayer for iPad when trying to connect to an older-model Slingbox, such as a Slingbox PRO, Slingbox AV, Slingbox TUNER, or "Classic" (original) Slingbox.  However, you should be able to use SlingPlayer for iPhone/iPod touch in "Compatibility" mode on your iPad. The image will be smaller, and potentially of lower quality (depending on current network conditions). But the viewing experience should be reasonably satisfactory."

Note that some extended features (e.g. AirPlay) may not be available with older Slingboxes.  The Solo is supported by SlingPlayer for the iPad, SlingPlayer for the iPhone, and support exists for extended features such as AirPlay.

Regarding tuning (your coax question), the Slingbox Solo needs something to do tuning duties for it.  Whether the adapter box from the cable company will do it is unknown, since you may have been using the Slingbox Pro's built-in tuner or the tuner in the adapter box.  Ask your cable company what options they have to feed an analog RCA (red/white/yellow) or component (red/white/red/green/blue) device (such as the Solo).

Regarding video quality, the video quality from the Solo will be better than the PRO.

alanrichey42 Master
              Regarding tuning (your coax question), the Slingbox Solo needs something to do tuning duties for it.  Whether the adapter box from the cable company will do it is unknown, since you may have been using the Slingbox Pro's built-in tuner or the tuner in the adapter box.  Ask your cable company what options they have to feed an analog RCA (red/white/yellow) or component (red/white/red/green/blue) device (such as the Solo).

The usual solution is to use an old VCR or DVR.   Or anything that contains a TV tuner.   Most of us have something like that in the attic, or can get one off E-Bay.

skydyver

Thanks for the advice!  I do have a tuner to use, a very small box from my cable company.  Says uDTA-e on the front.  Basically it's for older tv's that can't tune in digital channels.  It works great with my Slingbox Pro - I get over 100 channels, basically everything up to the HD channels.  The problem is it only has a Coax In and a Coax Out.  I need some way to connect to the Solo.  I guess what I'm looking for is some kind of coax to component adaptor.

The old TiVo comment is interesting.  I currently have a TiVo Premiere, but I have 2 old TiVo Series 2 DVRs sitting on a shelf in the garage.  Can I use that as a tuner without paying for service to it?