5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2010 4:44 AM by zski RSS

SlingCatcher & Xbox on same network via SlingLink -- conflict?

zski

I have the following setup:

SlingBox in the US.
      T-Home Speedport w 303 v - my internet router here in Germany

Sling Link Turbo - 4 port system linking my router with my SlingCatcher in another room

SlingCatcher & TV

For the past 6 months this setup has worked beautifully.

Today I bought an Xbox.  I hooked it up to the 4-port SlingLink system in my living room.  Not only could the Xbox not connect to the internet, when I started troubleshooting and noticed that the SlingCatcher could also no longer connect to the internet.

If I unplug the SlingCatcher from the SlingLink and reset the xbox, it is able to connect.  Likewise, if I unplug the Xbox and reset the SlingCatcher, it is able to connect.

I also noticed an imperfect internet connection whenever the xbox was actually connected -- it had an initial update to download and it took 3 tries because the connection was dropped during the first two.

What could be causing the conflict between the devices?  Is there any history of problems like this?  Is there an additional conflict between the xbox and the slinglink?  My router doesn't seem to be the problem as I never have a connection problem when using my laptop and my wireless LAN, but is it possible the router is to blame?

This is not a HUGE problem now, as there is never a need to watch programming through the SlingCatcher and play Xbox at the same time.  However, having to unplug/re-plug/reset every time I want to change between the two is going to get irritating.  What is my next step at troubleshooting or fixing the problem?

Thanks for any input.

• Re: SlingCatcher & Xbox on same network via SlingLink -- conflict?
          eferz Expert

Have you tried assigning static IP addresses?  Maybe there's a problem with the DHCP server?

zski

I don't know too much about IP addresses - I can figure out how to set a static address on either device but don't know what to set them to.  Any tips/websites I should check out?

Thanks for your help.

eferz Expert

I would recommend in looking at your router's DHCP server.  It should indicate a range of address from which it will assign.  You should reduce that pool by two IP address.  Then assign those addresses to your Xbox and SlinkCatcher.

For example, if your DHCP server's range is "192.168.0.2 to 192.168.255.254" then you can change that to "192.168.0.4 to 192.168.255.254" or "192.168.0.2 to 192.168.255.252".  Then you can safely configure those devices without worrying for IP address conflicts.

zski

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried it and the same problem remains (and I did in fact make sure to use separate IP addresses for each and even double checked to make sure I didn't make a boneheaded mistake).  Both the SlingCatcher and the Xbox will connect to the internet still, but only if the other one is not plugged in to the hub.

Any further suggestions?  It is not a big deal to have to unplug/replug whenever I want to switch from playing Xbox to watching TV, but is a bit annoying.

eferz Expert

The only thing that I can think of is a conflict in Media Access Control (MAC) address.

In the Slingbox Application go to Help | About Slingbox <model> (Alt +E) | Information tab and in the Identity subsection "MAC" address.

In the Xbox console go to My Xbox | System Settings | Network Settings | Configure Network | Additional Settings tab | Advance Settings and there's you'll see Wired MAC adddress.

You'll notice on the Slingbox, the MAC Address has each of the two digits seperated by a colon (:) however on the Xbox 360 it is not.  The colons are there to make it easier to read.  Just disregard the colons and compare the two.  Make sure someone isn't playing a nerdy joke by matching the Xbox's alternate IP address to your Slingbox.