14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2010 1:40 PM by wmaciej RSS

Cannot change channels

wmaciej

Hi,

I just got my SlingBox Pro connected (cable over coaxial) and to start with, I already have encountered two problems... First was the terrible noise instead of any sound, but after a couple of hours of google'ing I managed to downgrade the firmware to 1.0.39, which solved the problem.

So I can watch TV on my Mac using SlingPlayer 1.0.10.272, but I cannot change channels! I have tried it with a Windows client and channel switching works fine there. I tried changing various settings, reconfiguring the SlingBox, but nothing helped.

What I am thinking is that the current version of SlingPlayer is not compatible with the fairly old firmware. Thus I am wondering if anyone is in possesion of some older version which I could try. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Maciej

• Re: Cannot change channels
          eferz Expert

Just thought I'd ask... but have you tried using the web version of Slingplayer on http://www.sling.com ?

wmaciej

I've just tried it, but I guess due to a legacy firmware being used, it fails... The error message I get is: "The connection attempt failed. Make sure the Slingbox you are trying to  watch is on, set up for remote viewing, and not blocked by firewall/NAT  settings.".

It (i.e. watch.slingbox.com) was working with the newest firmware, but all I got was noise instead of the sound, so I downgraded it. Now I get the above error message, even though the network configuration is exactly the same...

Maciej

eferz Expert

Is your Slingbox set to have a static or reserved DHCP IP address?  Cause if they aren't then its possible it picked up a different address.

You can check it from the standalon Slingplayer app.  From the command bar click; Help | About Slingbox <model> (Alt +E) | Information tab.  In the "LAN" subsection check to see if its IP address is the same as the one in the port forwarding rule.

wmaciej

I am using Universal Plug and Play for the autoconfiguration of the network. As I have said, with the very same settings I was able to access my SlingBox with watch.slingbox.com with the new firmware version (but again, no sound - just noise), but once downgraded, it no longer works.

Nevertheless it works fine over the local network - it's just that I can't change channels in OS X. Under Windows everything (including channel switching) works fine...

Maciej

eferz Expert

I was just wondering, since it seemed like the error message for the webslingplayer seems to indicate that's its not accessible over the web.  Could have been possible that it got a new IP address when the the firmware was changed.  And its possible the router rules haven't been update to the change.

wmaciej

I guess it has nothing to do with the network settings, as I am able to access my SlingBox over the Internet with my Mac (not via watch.slingbox.com). The problem is still the channel switching...

Maciej

eferz Expert

Another question... when you attempted to reconfigure the Slingbox, did you try that while using the Slingplayer Desktop for Mac?  And during the Setup Assistant for the respective Video Source, was it able to power off your set-top box?

I think you're right, its probably a big incompatibility with the older firmware.  Maybe you should try deleting the plist and reinstalling Slingplayer as per http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-005511.html  

Because, I think your last resort would be to bring the Slingbox back to the current firmware and attempt to troubleshoot its problem with technical support.

wmaciej

Yeah, I've tried it both ways - using Mac desktop player and Windows one. In both cases, channel switching under the Mac player does not work...

In terms of the video source - I am using cable TV over coaxial antenna cable, so without any set-top box.

I tried reinstalling the application - no success. I tried reverting to the new firmware too. Channel switching works well with both Mac and Windows there, but the sound doesn't. It looks that the noise a well known problem as many people on the Internet reported it and the only solution is to downgrade the firmware.

I'm sort of stuck now - I can either watch all channels with no sound or watch only one channel with sound

Maybe someone has an older version on the Mac player which I could try?

eferz Expert

I know Slingbox uses WMA, AAC, or PCM for their Audio Stream.  Also that the SlingStream from the Slinbox is encrypted.  So, I wonder what part of the older firmware is "fixing" it.

wmaciej

I believe it is not the matter of the audio stream coming out of the SlingBox, but rather transcoding of the audio stream that gets in through the antenna cable... I may be wrong though.

eferz Expert

Well, if the problem was the input signal then you'd have a problem on the PC as well as the MAC.  -- I just realized that you didn't say whether or not the audio was noisy with the PC desktop.

Basically, the signal goes to the Slingbox tuner then depending on connected client, the video is transcoded to Windows Media Video 9 (WMV9) or H.264 while the audio is transcoded into either Windows Media Audio (WMA), Advanced Audio Coding (AAC), or Pulse-code modulation (PCM).  They are then encapsulated, encrypted, and then put out on your network.  The Slingplayer will then unencrypted the signal and pass it to the respective codecs.