12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2015 7:02 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Comcast 30 second skip programmable for Slingbox 500?

yborra23

Hi all..I've read through the forums and I think this may be possible, but can a customizable remote be used with the Slingbox 500 on newwatch.slingbox.com?  I have a Comcast RNG200N cable box along with a Slingbox 500.  I've always programmed the "A Lock" button (below the 15 second rewind button) on all my friend's/family's physical remotes.  It would be great to be able to have this with the Slingbox onscreen remote.

The iPhone app update is also much improved and as soon as you tap, you get a quick list of functions, the skip ahead button is there but it is greyed out.  I hope Sling could change that as well to be the 30 second skip.

Here are the steps I use with the "newer" Comcast remotes to program the 30 second skip:

1. Press the Aux button

2. Press and hold the Setup button until the Aux button blinks twice

3. Type in code 01376 (the Aux button will blink twice)

4. Press the Aux button again

5. Press and hold the Setup button again until the Aux button blinks twice

6. Type in code 994 (the Aux button will blink twice)

7. Press (but do not hold) the Setup button

8. Type in code 00173

9. Press the Cable button

10. Press whichever button you want to be your 30-second skip  button (the Cable button will blink twice). I used the A lock button.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57404724-285/how-to-program-a-30-second-skip-button-for-comcast-dvrs/

Any help/advice either way would be great.  Thank you all!

• Re: Comcast 30 second skip programmable for Slingbox 500?
          Cauchon Novice

Hi yborra23,

Thank you for your request. I am going to investigate this and try to get it added to an upcoming release.

In the meantime, our friendly community members may be able to provide a custom remote with this key programmed.

Thanks,

Justin

Product Manager @ Slingbox

mcpanda

Any updates? Would love it if Slingplayer supported this function.

hormaz

Hello Sling box team and community:

Does anyone know if a way exists to program a 30 second skip forward for Slingplayer?

I can do that just fine on my COMCAST/XFINITY remote, but not on my SlingPlayer.

It's a very useful and convenient feature to have.

thanks much in advance!

alanrichey42 Master

What is the Comcast box ?  I  might be able to help.

hormaz

Hi,

It's a Motorola DCH-3416. Appreciate it and look forward to the solution!

thanks,

-hormaz

To: Hormazd Commissariat <hcommiss@yahoo.com>

Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2015 2:00 PM

Subject: Re:  - Comcast 30 second skip programmable for Slingbox 500?

reply from alanrichey42 in On screen remote control - View the full discussionWhat is the Comcast box ?  I  might be able to help.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in On screen remote control by email or at Slingbox Answers Forum

Following Comcast 30 second skip programmable for Slingbox 500? in these streams: Inbox

alanrichey42 Master

I've just checked this device on the Logitech Harmony IR database and there is no such function as a 30-sec skip defined.  Same applies to all the similar boxes.   So I can't give you a quick answer but if it genuinely exists I guess we could find it by trial and error.

hormaz

Hi Alan,

I do have the 30 second skip forward programmed for the Comcast remotes using the method below. Just need to know how to do the same for Slingbox.

-hormaz

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-program-a-30-second-skip-button-for-comcast-dvrs/Yearsago, I had programmed a 30-second skip buttonfor my old Comcast DVR on my old silver remote. It was a simple process:1. Press the Cable button atthe top of the remote2. Press and hold the Setupbutton until the Cable button blinks twice3. Type in code 994 (the Cablebutton will blink twice again)4. Press (but do not hold) theSetup button5. Type in code 001736. Press whichever button youwant to be your 30-second skip button (the Cable button will blink twice). Iused the A lock button, which is right below the 15-second back button.     From: alanrichey42 <answers@slingmedia.com>

Sent: Tuesday, March 3, 2015 7:37 AM

reply from alanrichey42 in On screen remote control - View the full discussionI've just checked this device on the Logitech Harmony IR database and there is no such function as a 30-sec skip defined.  Same applies to all the similar boxes.   So I can't give you a quick answer but if it genuinely exists I guess we could find it by trial and error.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in On screen remote control by email or at Slingbox Answers Forum

Following Comcast 30 second skip programmable for Slingbox 500? in these streams: Inbox

alanrichey42 Master

OK, that is impossible for me without access to a modified remote control to find out what code is being sent.  I can only use the standard ones.   As I said before we can always try trial and error, unless you have access to a Harmony remote.

hormaz

Hi Alan,

I can get access to a Harmony remote.. let me know what model/type should I get..

And once I have that what would be the procedure to obtain the code and then program it as a custom code into the SlingBox/SlingPlayer?

thanks,

-hormaz

From: alanrichey42 <answers@slingmedia.com>

Sent: Tuesday, March 3, 2015 8:50 AM

reply from alanrichey42 in On screen remote control - View the full discussionOK, that is impossible for me without access to a modified remote control to find out what code is being sent.  I can only use the standard ones.   As I said before we can always try trial and error, unless you have access to a Harmony remote.

alanrichey42 Master

Preferably a 650, 659 or a 'One', but we may be able to use other models.   The idea is that you use the Harmony to learn the 30-sec code, then you install it onto my Harmony account so I can download it to my Harmony remote and then analyse the code.    Just tell me which one you get.

ACC6282675

I have a Harmony Ultimate Home, a Slingbox 500, and service through Motorola RNG200N.  When you tell Harmony what make and model DVR you have it automatically loads a skip forward button.  I be happy to help see how we can get this loaded onto Slingbox 500.  I use my service remotely through a Samsung tablet and the virtual remote does not have a skip forward button.  I also use my Slingbox through a Sirestick which has on screen functions that mirror the Slingbox remote.  When using the Firestick the skip forward button is there, but is blanked out.  I'd be happy to help figure this our as it looks like it would be very useful to many users.

alanrichey42 Master

Hi Kelly

Thanks for that.  First point to note is that will not help Hormazd as your box is totally different to his.  But I can help you.  First thing to check is that we have the correct code, so install the attached Custom Remote, which uses the default image, and make sure all the commands work, including the Skip+, on all your devices.  Provided that works we can investigate if it possible to link it to a realistic image.  (BTW, the 500 is irrelevant to this discussion, all models of Slingboxes use the same format for remotes.)