13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2013 9:16 AM by pees RSS

LG TV lost spotlight after update OS to 4.2.2

damgt15

Hello, I need help with my LG TV (55GA7900). After update (Android 4.2.2) my tv lost the spotlight app that come with the TV and has the slingplayer website. I tried to open the website (http://www.google.com/tv/spotlight-gallery.html) on google chrome but no pluging supported.

Thank you for your cooperation.

• Re: LG TV lost spotlight after update OS to 4.2.2
            damgt15

Yes, I tried that link too and I got the "no pluging supported".

Looks like they change the google chrome app and this version doesn't support the slingmedia website.

Thanks.

callanish Apprentice

It just hit me on why you can't access the slingplayer on Google TV . The Slingplayer spotlight / web links are using Flash. 4.2.2 Jellybean removed Flash entirely, so basically we've been left hanging until Slingmedia finds an alternative to flash that doesn't rely on the Chrome Web browser. That's a big concern because Sling tech normally doesn't do anything all that fast when it comes to fixing problems. This will affect all Google TV users as they get upgraded to 4.2.2. Thought maybe you could sideload flash with another browser. Since I don't have the update yet on my Sony GS7 Google TV box, I'm just wondering if you are capable of sideloading a third party browser like Dolphin or Firefox, download and install the APK flash file and see if you can access the slingplayer through that. Probably a bit too much too ask, but as of right now, that's about my only suggestion, because it looks like every Google TV user will lose the option to run the slingplayer when we all get updated to Jellybean unless we find some kind of work around.

edit :

....On second thought, sideloading probably won't work since it won't be recognized as Google TV and you'll get a platform not supported message. I have the slingplayer app for tablets on my Nexus 7 running Android 4.3. When I get the update for Google TV, I'm going to try to run the Android app on GoogleTV and see if that works.

Andy2013

According to Slingbox this tv was never supported anyway! I'm glad I bought it now...NOT! So considering it was never supported in the first place do not expect a quick fix for this. The best we can do is to request support for this TV but can't see this happening soon. Back to the laptop being plugged into the tv i guess!

callanish Apprentice

I don't get it. All GoogleTV products had spotlight flash apps working before Jellybean and that includes the slingplayer app. Slingplayer access was either supported from spotlight or with a slingplayer web app link through chrome for those outside of the U.S. The original poster had this LG TV running the slingplayer spotlight app before they upgraded to O.S Jellybean, so whether sling wants to deny that they support this TV or not, due to it running Google TV, it comes under a Google TV product that did originally run the slingplayer. It's not about an individual fix dealing only with this specific TV that will solve the problem. Either sling supports all GoogleTV products after this Jellybean update or they don't, and in order to do that they will need an alternative solution to provide us access to the slingplayer using something other than flash.

Andy2013

you'll like this response from Slinbox: they told me to buy WD TV, Sony internet player, or Netgear Neotv as these are supported

OvCollyer Apprentice

Isn't the Sony Internet player using Google TV?

In which case, by the sounds of it, once that gets the new jellybean or whatever then the Slingplayer will stop working.

I'd say that this could spell the end of the Slingplayer for GTV as Sling haven't shown any sign of making a non-flash based version for these kind of devices.

Essentially they have:

- Windows and Mac web player, various plugins for different browsers

- iOS mobile and ipad players

- Flash-based players with variations for WDTV, Google TV, Netgear Neo.

They basically tried to be clever and make a flash version that worked on a number of devices with minimal alteration between each one, but that of course places them at the mercy of these devices maintaining support for flash.

IMHO the smarter move would have been to pick the best media player - say, Roku - and write a top notch native player for that, get it working really well before expanding onto other devices, rather than make this shoddy half baked non supported flash monstrosity.

callanish Apprentice

Yeah, I think we're going to be left hanging by slingmedia on this one; another connected device that bites the dust. Roku would be a great platform for a slingplayer considering how popular and how stable the product is. Just don't get the impression that sling will ever be serious about connected devices. I, on the other hand, have accepted the fact that GoogleTV is not the answer to solving my slingbox viewing problems on the big screen TV, so I'm choosing a more accepted, albeit possibly an overkill solution. I'm just waiting on delivery of a Haswell equipped Intel NUC running Win 8 hooked up to a usb unifying wireless keyboard with a touchpad. I figure when I finally upgrade my solo to a 350, and my slingcatcher becomes truly obsolete, I'll be using Sling's most supported platform with the webplayer and that will at least be a safe choice.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Safe until they release firmware for the 350 which adds another 5-10s to the remote command time and completely destroys the experience, like they did a few weeks ago.

callanish Apprentice

It sounds like you're saying just hold off on getting the 350 until Sling actually stops tinkering with the firmware which has turned decent hardware into a frustrating experience. I had no idea that users were dealing with this remote viewing delay problem. All of my viewing is being done locally on my slingbox350, so I'm not experiencing the kind of remote time delays that you are and as far as I can tell, my remote viewing Solo boxes continue to have the same time delay they've always had.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Well I get it locally and remotely, though it's maybe not quite so bad locally.

I've access to both a 350 and a 500 and the latter is night and day better in terms of command responsiveness at the moment. We're talking 2s versus 5-10s.

They've acknowledged it, at least, and said they'll make it a priority for the next update but the updates seem to be several months apart at least so I don't know when that translates to a fix being available.

And that's assuming they don't break something else with the next update.