8 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2014 12:14 PM by ACC504852 RSS

Repeated "buffering"

Kidko

Hey, anyone having trouble with SlingPlayer on iPad? I have an iPad 2 running iOS 7. Last week streamed it over my home wireless without fail and watched an entire hockey game.  Yesterday and today, it continuously buffers and the video stutters, both over the home wireless and in my office wireless accessing remotely.

I streamed to my laptop yesterday over web and on a SlingPlayer on Droid without problems after the iPad had problems. 

• Re: Repeated "buffering"
          stanley.sling Apprentice

Hello Kidko,

Thanks for your post in the Answers Forums. I understand your having a issue with the SlingPlayer App on your iPad, however you are not having this issue with any other device on the same network. The first thing I would like you to try is to delete and reinstall the SlingPlayer App on your iPad.

Here is an article to further assist you with this process:

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Sling Media Forum Moderation Team

Kidko

Thanks, other than getting what looked like a newer version the problem persists. Although I deleted and reloaded over wifi versus via usb. Would that make a difference?

OvCollyer Apprentice

Just a thought - try closing down all running/open apps on your iPad. You do this by double pressing the home button and then swiping each open app up off the screen.

Also try disabling background updates for all your apps (temporarily - or permanently if you want to make your battery last longer). You can do this in the settings.

Maybe the iPad keeps having to process some other applications and this causes the Slingplayer app to slowdown or something.

Just guessing!

Kidko

Hey folks. For those interested. Updating the iPad via USB seems to have righted the issue. Assume it was just a glitch, but working fine now.

ACC504852 Newbie

Hi,

I have an upload speed of 14.5 Mbps and download speed of 4-10 Mbps and the transmission is buffering badly at times. It doesn't buffer as bad when used directly on the laptop with the ethernet cable directly in the modem which would defeat the purpose of having the app which wasn't cheap to begin with. It can't be the erratic level of download on the receiving end as I have tried Netflix and Tennistv.com directly streaming via Apple Tv and there were next to none buffering sessions.

Someone please help? The app was newly downloaded so I don't think reinstalling it would help. And yes all background apps were turned off and automatic updates were turned off.

Thanks.

Anders O

stanley.sling Apprentice

Hey ACC504852,

After checking your account and pulling up the details on your Slingbox Solo, it looks like you might want to try setting up port forwarding. Check out these helpful Knowledge Base Articles below:

Hope this helps!

Stanley

Sling Media Forum Moderation Team

ACC504852 Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and the tips but unfortunately they don't apply as the slingbox is not routed through a router but directly through a switch that is connected to the fiber outlet in the wall.

I think I have figured out why it buffers when streamed through Apple TV. Your techies will have to upgrade the app to work with Apple TV in a better way. When I watch on the iPad without streaming and choose standard quality there is no buffering. When I stream it through Apple TV I cannot used standard because I only get the sound and no picture so I am advised to use Automatic. The automatic will search between standard and HD and that causes the buffering. So I hope your techies will fix that soon. It's great to be able to watch it on the iPad but seeing that it's 2014 I think we should be able to take it one step further and make use of Apple's hardware.

Have a good weekend!

Cheers!

Anders O.