45 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2014 1:57 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Three DirecTV STBs at once; IR Codes

smiddy

Hi,

I am looking for a way to use three IR codes that can run three DirecTV STBs at once. The STBs use the internal (DirecTV) codes of 00001, 00002, 00003, 00004, 00005, 00006, 00007, and 00008. I can get first one to work without any problems, but if I used any of the other codes, I can not find a way to get the Slingbox Pro to control them with any of the IR codes. Does anyone know how I can either "learn" the IR codes form the DirecTV remote, or download all of these codes for use with my STBs?

-smiddy

• Re: Three DirecTV STBs at once; IR Codes
          eferz Expert

You can try using the Slingbox Remote Control Manager to learn the codes at http://betaremotes.slingbox.com or you can browse the Unoffical Repositor of User Created Remotes at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=97&sid=f299e226fc6dd275ebadb6756d8260b7

I'm a little confused to what you're trying to accomplish.  Although, if I understand corrently you're trying to control three seperate STBs at the same time.  That would only work if the STBs uses the same IR codes.  However, if they are different codes, you can then associate a unique remote for each of the video sources available to the Slingbox.  Even if you don't get a picture due to a lack of connection.  You should be able to control the channels using the Slingplayer's virtual remote.

smiddy

I need to explain a little bit more about my setup. I have these all in the same media closet. I need them all to have seperate IR codes. My media closet services 8 different zones, not to mention any PCs via the Slingbox Pro. If one STB is being used by someone else, I don't want to bother them with the same IR code, so I set them up to be different so there is little interference with others' who're using them elsewhere.

Thanks, I hadn't heard of the Slingbox Remote Control Manager. I will give that a try. I have one different IR code (00002) besides the default (00001) from the site you mention, but to be flexible, I want to be able to use any of the IR codes,

tjkahn Newbie

I have what I think is a similar if not identical issue.  I just got a slingbox pro HD, and I have two directv receivers (HR20 and HR21) located in the same closet.  I wanted to set my slingbox up on my HR21 - which uses the alternate codeset (00003) and is controlled on the OEM remote by moving the slider on the top of the remote to AV1.

I have only been able to get the slingbox to control my HR20, which uses the primary code (00001).  I've researched the heck out of this thing, and I can't understand the suggestions, most of which say to use code 1378 or 1379 in the slingbox database.  I don't see anything like that.

I called slingbox tech support and they said to use "directv, other" for my receiver.  That option does not exist.  Furthermore, I tried the link at the top of this thread but the betaremotes site is not supported on my iMac (PC only).  That really stinks.

Can anyone help me get the slingbox to control my HR21??  I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Todd

alanrichey42 Master

Hopefully me

Note:  These instructions assume you have installed the standalone Slingplayer on your MAC, as you cannot install Custom Remotes from the Web-based player.  If you do not have the program see http://support.slingbox.com/go/dl-mac-desktop)

Put the attached file into your /Applications/SlingPlayer/Contents/Slingbox Setup Assistant/Contents/Resources/SBAV/ (Note that The Contents dirs won't show up unless you do a "Right-Click -> Show Package Contents" when navigating into an app's "Contents" directory.)

Now go into Slingplayer and run Setup Assistant and 'Configure Video Sources'.  Work through the screens Making sure you select 'Satellite Receiver' as the device type.

This time use 'DirecTV' as the Manufacturer and 'Other' as the Model (You say it doesn't exist, but it does, right at the bottom of the drop down list) and in the next screen go to the bottom of the Code numbers, type S1377 (NOT s1377, the code is case-sensitive) in the Alternative Code window.  Then complete the setup as normal.

If you have problems please do NOT just report back it 'doesn't work', that is totally useless for someone trying to understand what is going on.  So please report the following:

1.   Was there any error message after you typed in the Code and tapped the Power button ?

2.   Did you give the Power command plenty of time to react ?  (I have a DVR that takes about 6-8 seconds to power up/down)

3.   After completing the setup (regardless of whether the Power button worked) do any of the other buttons work ?

4.   Have you used a Digital Camera to confirm the IR Blaster is actually firing when you tap the Power button ?  (Watch the tip of the IR Blaster thorugh the viewfinder while you tap a button.  You should see a white (not red) flash)

5.   Have you experimented with the placement of the IR Blaster ?  On some devices this is critical so don't give up too quickly.

tjkahn Newbie

Thank you Alan and Eferz.  I will try later tonight (kid duty preventing me from doing much right now).  I think perhaps the issue is that I don't have anything installed on my desktop?  When I hooked up my player, everything appeared to be web-based.  There's nothing slingbox related in my applications folder at the moment, so I will use the attached link.  On the web-based installer, there is no "other" in the directv drop down.  I checked and scrolled 100 times because the customer support for slingbox said to pick other as well (I was calling from work so I couldn't check).

To be clear, I actually want to lose control of the HR20.  I only want my HR21 to work, and that is on the AV1 position.

Thanks again and I will report back soon.

eferz Expert

Just curious, but if you only wanted to control one of the boxes then why didn't you just switch the addresses on the box and the remotes?

tjkahn Newbie

I only want my slingbox to control one of the boxes.  I just can't get it to control the HR21, because that does not use the primary "out of the box" code anymore - I changed it when I set up all of my equipment a couple of years ago.

It was a breeze to get it to control the HR20 since the slider is in the Directv position and that is the default for the HR2x in the slingbox database, apparently.  Slingbox could really alleviate this issue by just adding HR20 (codeset 000002, 000003) to the dropdown menu.   If setting up my Harmony was this difficult I would have returned it - but harmony has the alternate code sets in their database and even someone as unsophisticated as me could figure out how to set it up.

alanrichey42 Master

tjkahn wrote:

I only want my slingbox to control one of the boxes.  I just can't get it to control the HR21, because that does not use the primary "out of the box" code anymore - I changed it when I set up all of my equipment a couple of years ago.

It was a breeze to get it to control the HR20 since the slider is in the Directv position and that is the default for the HR2x in the slingbox database, apparently.  Slingbox could really alleviate this issue by just adding HR20 (codeset 000002, 000003) to the dropdown menu.   If setting up my Harmony was this difficult I would have returned it - but harmony has the alternate code sets in their database and even someone as unsophisticated as me could figure out how to set it up.

OK, one of use is laboring under a misunderstanding.   You keep referring to different code sets, but as far I (and I think eferz) knows, DirecTV use a standard set of codes.   What they do allow is for the Remote and Device to operate using 8 different addresses to allow for multiple boxes to be operated in the same room.

Now as far as I know ALL DirecTV boxes leave the factory set to the default address of 1, and unless the user specifically changes the address for box it stays at 1, which is why Sling use that address.    It does sound as though you changed it, so like eferz, I am not sure why you just can't change it back to the default of 1 ?

Anyway, the Remote I have sent you uses the standard (and only, as far as I know) code set but the Remote address is set to 3.

So it could be it is of no use to you.

I await the result with interest

tjkahn Newbie

I apologize, I'm having problems following the thread because I'm used to the last response being at the bottom.

Anyway, any misunderstanding is I'm sure my fault.  I'm obviously using the wrong terminology - it's not different code sets, it's different addresses.  I can't change the HR21 back to address 1, because then the remote would control both the HR20 and HR21.

Perhaps I should describe my setup - I have an HR20 and HR21 in an equipment closet, both hooked up to a matrix switcher, feeding TV's in my basement and family room.  I used both the OEM remotes and my Harmony 890 Pro.  I obviously need each receiver to have a different address, so someone can watch one of the receivers in the basement without changing the channels on the other receiver.

The reason I want the slingbox controlling the 21 (which in my setup is called "receiver 2" is because receiver 1 has all of my kids stuff on it, and being that they are 3 and 4 let's just say I have different TV interests.  My mac faces the dinner table, and I could watch something on the mac while they watch Max and Ruby (which they're watching right now), or whatever other program they are watching.  Also, the second audio out on my HR 20 was feeding a distribution amp for whole-house music (I say was because I had to temporarily plug those into the slingbox).  The HR20 has only optical digital out, and that's feeding a home theater receiver.

I realize I could swap the addresses on the two receivers, make the HR20 receiver 2 and the 21 receiver 1, but I'd have to do some reprogramming on the harmony, and I've had this setup for long enough that I'm very used to the way it's setup now.

So in summary, it would be easier on me if I could get the slingbox to control the HR21 and it's address, which I think is in the file you sent me.

I'll report back.  Again, a huge thanks.

alanrichey42 Master

tjkahn wrote:

I apologize, I'm having problems following the thread because I'm used to the last response being at the bottom.

So am I.  Just select My Stuff (at the top) > Preferences and chnage it from 'Thread' to 'Flat'.   That should give you what you want.

tjkahn wrote:

I realize I could swap the addresses on the two receivers, make the HR20 receiver 2 and the 21 receiver 1, but I'd have to do some reprogramming on the harmony, and I've had this setup for long enough that I'm very used to the way it's setup now.

I know the feeling.  My Harmony now controls NINE devices and SIX activities and I would be hard pushed to reprogram it if i had to

Sounds like we are on the same page now.

tjkahn Newbie

Downloading the slingplayer now.  The installation process I followed did not have me download this file.  In fact, I recall seeing that HD streaming was not supported by the desktop player on a mac, only the web-based version.  Perhaps that's why I was never led to this file?

tjkahn Newbie

OK, good news bad news (but good far outweighs bad because I'm sure there's an easy fix).

First the good - the remote setting worked.  My HR21 is not being controlled by the slingbox blaster, my HR20 is not.  Just the way I wanted it.  Your instructions were wonderful.  If you were here I'd kiss you.  You're lucky you're not here.

Now, the only problem is that when I get to the network setting portion, I get a failure message.  Prior to that, it gives me a slingbox ID that's as long as a novel.

Hold on....on the fourth try, it worked.  Not sure what happened the first three times.

You are a genius!

Another interesting glitch is that when I got the screen where I had to name the slingbox, I typed in the name but the continue button would not light up.  I had to hit back (to the remote setup screen), hit continue from there, and then the continue box was lit up on the name slingbox page.  This happened all 4 times I went through the setup.

Two quick questions:

1.  I assume I'll never have to use the desktop application again (unless I need to redo setup)?  Especially since it doesn't support HD streaming on a mac - and slingbox.com does.

2.  If I want to watch my box from a computer at a friends house, will I need to enter the slingbox ID, or will signing into my account suffice (in other words, do I really need to carry that slingbox ID around with me)?

Interesting that until I posted here, I didn't even know the desktop setup for the mac existed.  I did see a message during my setup that if you want to stream HD on a mac, you need to do it through slingbox.com, and not the desktop application, and yet I was never prompted to install anything on my desktop.

Anyway, I can't thank you enough.  Everyone here was so much more helpful than the support line from slingbox.

eferz Expert

tjkahn wrote:

1.  I assume I'll never have to use the desktop application again (unless I need to redo setup)?  Especially since it doesn't support HD streaming on a mac - and slingbox.com does.

Yes, the remote codes are uploaded into the Slingbox.  So, there's no dependence on any one Slingplayer client.

tjkahn wrote:

2.  If I want to watch my box from a computer at a friends house, will I need to enter the slingbox ID, or will signing into my account suffice (in other words, do I really need to carry that slingbox ID around with me)?

Your Sling Account is enough.  It uses a Sling brand of DDNS, so you don't need to know the public IP address of your router to connect.

alanrichey42 Master

tjkahn wrote:

Anyway, I can't thank you enough.  Everyone here was so much more helpful than the support line from slingbox.

Glad we could help

Al

tjkahn Newbie

Hi Alan! (and others).  I'm resurrecting this thread because I had to reset my slingbox - totally frustrating, it just stopped connecting to the internet and my only remaining option was to reset.  Anyway, it's now working again but I'm left with this familiar problem and wanted to see if the solution was the same - it appears now during setup when you select "other" as the directv receiver model, it lists a whole bunch of codes, and there is no option to type in s1378.  Is there a new procedure to get the AV1 working, or do I need to start the process over again (including downloading the file).

Thanks.

Todd

smiddy

Yeah, it is very cryptic I agree, unfortunately I haven't found a solution for IR codes 00003 thru 00008 on the Slingbox. I have reserved myself to remove my slingbox from use, which is unfortunate, but has served its purpose. Most of what I've read deals with changing an existing IR code to what you need and think that if I wanted to learn the guts of IR codes then I'd reprogram the entire thing. I wish it was as easy as using a Harmony remote that learns the IR codes, but alas that isn't the case. Plus since DiSH has purchased Slingmedia I don't suspect their motivations towards helping a competing product is less than it could be.

eferz Expert

smiddy wrote:

Most of what I've read deals with changing an existing IR code to what you need and think that if I wanted to learn the guts of IR codes then I'd reprogram the entire thing. I wish it was as easy as using a Harmony remote that learns the IR codes, but alas that isn't the case. Plus since DiSH has purchased Slingmedia I don't suspect their motivations towards helping a competing product is less than it could be.

You should have come back to us when you had problems.  It is challenging when trying to start from scratch.  Though, Alan's document describes the process very well.  However, it is even less difficult for the devices which have already been discovered by the folks in the JP1 website.  In fact there's already a predefined RMDU document for DirecTV boxes.  Let me give you an idea of the tools that I would use to change the address.

RemoteMaster.jpg

As you see in the screenshot, all it is necessary is to change the Device Number for the address.  Then make sure each address has a unique Setup Code.  The last step is to export binary upgrade with the proper remote selected which is similar to saving a file.  Here's the RMDU document that's shown above if you want to play with it yourself.

eferz Expert

Got this in my inbox, and I thought that I might pop in help.

tjkahn.jpg

Trust me when I say, that you're in very capable hands with Alan Richey. I just wanted to support what he said by giving you a visual idea of what you might expect.  Please note though, these are excerpts from the PC version, the Mac version will look different but the premise is the same.

S1377-Custom.jpg

Now don't worry, if after applying this file that you lose control of your HR20 (Address 1).  This is because DirecTV boxes have three distinct setup code assocations. (S1377, S1388, and S1134).  The S1377 code happens to be the primary association.  If you do lose control of the other box then Alan just needs to provide you another bin file with one of the alternate codes.

malibrando

Thanks to all who helped solve this problem.  It took me about 90 mins to figure it out so I figured I'd try to summarize for future users.

First, DTV Remote Codes:

========================

The standard DTV code for all newer receivers starting with HR20/H20, D30 is 00001.

The remote option on the DTV box under setup allows you to use an alternate code under the "Receiver Mode" option.  (Switch from DTV to AV1 or 2).   For the HD and standard receivers this is usually code 00002.  For HD DVR's it is usually code 00003.  Not sure what it is for SD DVR's as I dont have one. 

The HR20/21, etc. and H20, etc. now allow you to select which code you want to use from 00001 to 00008.  This is found under \Setup\Remote\Advanced Setups.  If you choose Receiver 1, the code is 00001, Receiver 2 is 00002, etc.  (The default for a non DVR receiver is 2, for a DVR is 3)

The DVR connected to my Slingbox uses D* remote code 00003.  I summarize the procedure for this code.  Other codes probably have similar procedure.

Second, Download Setup for Code 00003

=================================

Download the file for the code here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4633

The file is "S1378_PL.bin"

Third, Copy the file to your Slingbox config files

=====================================

You must have the SlingPlayer application loaded onto your PC or MAC.

For PC, copy the file here:

C:\Program Files\Slingmedia\SlingPlayer\SBAV

For Mac (which I have) it's a little trickier if you havent edited your programs before.  First open your Applications folder.  Then control click (or left click) on the SlingPlayer application.  Choose "Show Package Contents".  A new window "SlingPlayer" will open.  Next open the "Contents" folder.  Then select "Slingbox Setup Assistant" and again control click and select "Show Package Contents".  The "Slingbox Setup Assistant" folder will open.  Then copy the "S1378_PL.bin" file you downloaded into the "SBAV" folder that is inside the "Slingbox Setup Assistant" folder.  Now close all windows.

Fourth, Configure Slingplayer

==========================

Launch SlingPlayer and go through the Slingbox Setup Assistant.  When asked about your device, Select DirecTV.  When asked for Model, select "Other".  Then in the Alternate code box type S1378.  It now should work for code 00003.