6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2014 10:00 AM by williamh1 RSS

My On-Screen Remote control has no effect on the device

Ticketick

Hi,

I have been using a Slingbox for years without problems. After moving my Slingbox to a new location the remote control no longer works. Everything works fine except the cable box does not react to remote control signals. I have performed a factory reset and a fresh setup, and I have installed the proper custom remote control by Alan Richey.

I have followed the instructions in https://community.sling.com/thread/3300?tstart=0 and http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000042.html.

If I'm doing the camera LCD test correctly, my infrared lights are not working. There is no white flash when I use the remote. I used a Canon video camera and a Motorola mobile phone camera and there is no white flash.

Are these cables known to break now and then? I have tried to order a replacement cable but they are out of stock.

Can this also be a problem inside the Slingbox, and is there a way to verify that?

Please advise.

Magnus Wester

Stockholm, Sweden

Slingbox Solo

- hardware version 1.99.3

- IR blaster version 4

- firmware version 2.1.270

Humax HDPVR1000C cable box

• Re: My On-Screen Remote control has no effect on the device
          alanrichey42 Master

I have seen it happen a few times, although not personally.   I take it you have unplugged and plugged them in a few times ?

Ticketick

Yes, I have unplugged them and plugged them in a few times, I have also reset the box and set it up again. It's a pity I don't have an ordinary digital camera but a camcorder should work just as well for the LCD test, shouldn't it?

Is there a simple test for the remote control contact on the Slingbox, i.e. can I plug something else in to see if it is sending power to the lights?

How can I get hold of replacement cables? The German company handling the Slingbox estore simply say they don't have any.

Magnus

alanrichey42 Master
                  It's a pity I don't have an ordinary digital camera but a camcorder should work just as well for the LCD test, shouldn't it?

No mobile phone ?    Have a look at a 'real' remote so you know what you are looking for.

How can I get hold of replacement cables? The German company handling the Slingbox estore simply say they don't have any.

UK, USA online store ?

Ticketick

alanrichey42 wrote:

Have a look at a 'real' remote so you know what you are looking for.

Yes, of course, how obvious, great idea, and it worked fine with my mobile phone. My IR blasters still don't work, but at least I'm certain now.

alanrichey42 wrote:

UK, USA online store ?

Living in Sweden, I seem to be going through the UK store automatically. I tried the US store but they only allow me to select USA as the country for delivery.

I have established a contact with the European spare parts distributor and shall continue to bother them until I can place the order for a new cable. I worry, however, that the box itself may be broken, but I guess it's worth £15 to find out.

Thanks for helping me a lot so far,

Magnus

Ticketick

At last I would like to close this question. The German company that handles spare parts for SlingBox were out of IR blasters for more than half a year, but eventually they managed to locate and ship a new cable to me, and now it works fine again. I would like to thank you, Alan, for helping me find this solution as I personally never would have guessed that the cable was broken.