1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 6, 2010 2:03 PM by eferz RSS

Thomson ST585 wireless router not listed ??

GeoffJordan

Hi

I am trying to set up my slingbox solo for internet viewing of sky using my sony vaio and windows 7. HOWEVER my wireless router is not listed - it's a Thomson ST585. I have tried to skip that part of the set up but as a result cannot view my sky at all. Does anyone know how I can set up my router if it's not listed ??

• Re: Thomson ST585 wireless router not listed ??
          eferz Expert

Once you have the local viewing  setup for your Slingbox your done with its configuration.  The only  thing that's preventing you from remote viewing is your router.  And  opening up your network to the world is a very bad idea, and not to  mention isn't going to provide access to your Slingbox.

Slingbox  provides its support through port 5001 (by default) and that's how you  access it from your private network and public network.  However, your  router has certain services to provide you with a safe networking  enviroment.  Unfortunately, these services are also preventing you from  accessing your Slingbox remotely. One way to allow your Slingbox outside  of your network is port forwarding.  Without port forwarding any  internet request for port 5001 will be ignored.  This is because your  router doesn't know which of your networked clients will handle it.

When you  configure port forwarding on your router, you specify port 5001.  This  is the port which the Slingbox provides its services.  So, the next  important part of completing the port forwarding rule is the IP address  of the Slingbox.  Once you've completed setting up the port forwarding  rule, all of the outside requests for port 5001 to be directed to your  Slingbox.

Here  is a website that helps people setting up port fowarding, http://portforward.com.   I looked up your specific model and found the following page,

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Thomson-Alcatel/SpeedTouch585/SlingBox.htm

Another  alternative is Universal Plug and Play (uPnP) its a set of protocols  that allows to devices to communicate with one another for configuration  purposes.  I noticed your router is uPnP compatible but its services is  disabled by default.  That explains why the Slingbox Assistant couldn't  complete when it started running for tests for internet viewing.  If  you can find out how to enable uPnP on your router then you can rerun  the Setup Assistant to allow the automated configuration to complete.