9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2014 11:29 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Google Fiber Remote will not work

jakegulick

Hi All -

I just got Google Fiber and setup the slingbox on it and video and audio work great but the onscreen remote will not work and I can't figure out why. I have everything setup correctly (at least so I think) and did the advanced testing and the IR blaster do work. This is with a Slingbox solo.

• Re: Google Fiber Remote will not work
          jakegulick

Update, I used a custom one someone created but not all the buttons work. Still curious why the slingbox provider remote does not work?

jakegulick

Okay, just an update for anyone else having issues (I know there are not many of us out there with Google Fiber yet) but I was able to get it all to work using the custom remote option in the pinned post. Then I used the remote skin that was created as well. All is good in the world now that my sling is working great with Fiber - thanks to alanrichey42 for all your post!

ACC5652736

Hi Jake, can you walk me through this or point me to what you read to figure it out?

I am not sure what you mean by: "Using the custom remote option in the pinned post"

What option and where do I find the "pinned post"?

Thanks in advance,

Vince

ACC5652736

Can someone just fix the existing skin to work correctly?  The Google Remote skin looks perfect but it doesn't work.  The custom remotes work but don't look like the correct skin.  Is there a way to fix this?

alanrichey42 Master

You misunderstand how the system works.  The BIN file that you download to the Slingbox is the crucial file that makes it 'work'.   The image is simply a separate file that makes the remote look correct, and Sling 'link' those to the BIN file.  So in your case, when you select the option that gives the right image it is apparently downloading the wrong BIN file.   Only Sling can change that link, and in 3 years on this forum I have only know them change that twice, in each case after a few months of nagging from multiple users.  So your chance of having it changed are pretty remote.

Now, it is possible to link a different image to a custom BIN file, provided you don't have a 350 or 500 as Sling have decided to remove that functionality from the newer boxes.  So if you have an older box I might be able to help.   I need to know:

1.  EXACTLY what you select during the setup process to get the correct image to display.

2.  The EXACT URL of where you have found a BIN file that works correctly.

ACC5652736

Thanks a lot for offering to help and getting back so quickly and props on the epic Pun: "So your chance of having it changed are pretty remote." hahaha

I have the 500 so am I outta luck?

jakegulick

Sorry for the delay...I posted instructions on the Google Fiber Forum. You can view those HERE

Hopefully that will help you get it setup. I have had zero problems with it since I got it setup and am very happy it works! For some reason the buttons do not work when you select the Google Fiber remote through slingbox unless they have provided an update.

Let me know if you need any help and I will do my best!

alanrichey42 Master
                                      I have the 500 so am I outta luck?

Afraid so.  You can either have a working remote or one that looks right but not both.

Just to explain the problem for anyone else who might be reading this.  On earlier Slingboxes, if the code used for the Custom Remote was linked to an image on the Sling database then when the correct BIN file was downloaded to the Slingbox, the linked image was also installed on your laptop.   So as an example, I have a UK Sky+ HD box and the 'official' BIN file caused the Channel +/- buttons to 'double-skip'.  This is a very common problem caused by a design flaw in the Slingbox system in that it will always send 3 bursts of the IR code, and this is not adjustable.

But I was able to build a Custom BIN file with the repeat rate set to zero, and by using the code S1123 it also installed the correct Sky image on my laptop.   Unfortunately, on the Slingbox 500, Sling have changed the logic, so if you try and install a Custom BIN file with a recognised code then it will ignore the Custom BIN file and load the 'official' BIN file and image.    So the ONLY way to get a Custom BIN file installed is to use a code that is not linked to any image on the Sling database.   Hence you will see that the Custom BIN files I produce use the code 2010 and you will always see the default remote image.    In your case, if I tried compiling that working BIN file with a code that is linked to the Google Fibre realistic remote then if you tried to install it it would override your selection and install the official 'non-working' BIN file.

It's also worth mentioning that the link provided by jakegulick is only for use on earlier Slingboxes.   As part of what appears to be a consistent Company Policy of making sure each new piece of hardware/software is worse that the previous one, they have also removed the option to display personalised remote images.   A depressing attitude which makes me, and many others, stick with older Slingboxes and the standalone Desktop player, which is vastly superior to the web player.