7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2013 12:28 PM by williamh1 RSS

Remote control, post code wrong? Dublin, Ireland

JeanieF

Have slingbox solo for a few years, no problems.  Logged on tonight and had no remote control, was asked to update remote control.

When I click Sky+ HD 1TB in the remote control setup section,  It brings me to a section to add programme listings in my area and asks for my zip/postal code.  Im in County Dublin.  That is the post code, and has always been the post code connected to my Slingbox solo and my sky subscription, I am unable to enter County Dublin or Dub or any other code relevant to where I am, it tells me I need a 5 number code.

I'm definately logged onto the Irish section too as the flag and letters IE are at the top of the page.  How do I fix this? County Dublin is definately my post code, even if I was in the City the post codes are only 1 to 2 numbers long.

• Re: Remote control, post code wrong? Dublin, Ireland
          callanish Apprentice

I think what's going on here is that the postal code for Ireland won't work as programme listings are not available outside of the U.S and Canada, so basically it's asking for a U.S zip or Canadian postal code. Pick any zip code in the U.S...90210 for example, and see if that at least allows you to get through the remote control setup issue. You just won't have the Irish TV listings, but doing the above should allow you to at least move on and complete the setup.

JeanieF

Hi,

Thanks for your help.  I entered 90210 which was accepted, picked Direct TV Network and clicked Watch live tv on the next section.

It brought me back to the video but still no remote, this message appears below the video  "Your input is not configured to use a remote control. Do you want to configure one?"   I click yes and the whole process of being asked for zip code etc starts again, and then brings me back to the video and the same message stating remote control not configured again.  I've gone through the same steps 5 times now and each time there is no remote and just the message asking to configure.

I got my brother in London to log in and see if he could fix it but he is having the same problem as me....

callanish Apprentice

Something must have corrupted the box like a firmware upgrade done remotely by slingmedia causing you to come across this problem. If I were in your shoes, I'd do a complete hard reset of the box and restart the setup again just to wipe everything out and start from scratch. Reach behind the box and you'll see a little raised button. Hold that down for 30 seconds. It'll reboot. Once completed, go to your web browser and sign into the slingplayer website. Look for the slingbox setup option and go through the step by step procedure again and see if you come across the same problem at the same point.

A hard reset is your best chance at cleaning any problem that might have corrupted the slingbox, so try that first before anything else.

JeanieF

Hi again,

I rebooted twice and each time when I go to setup I get this message "Your Slingbox can't be located. Please make sure it is getting power and is connected to the same network as your computer".  The lights on the front are solid, internet connection is fine and sky box is fine too.  Any ideas what to do from here?

callanish Apprentice

I came across a similar issue with my solo a while back when trying to setup the slingbox solo through the webplayer. The online webplayer just couldn't find my solo, so I ended up downloading the slingplayer desktop software and it saw my slingbox and completed the setup. You could try that, install it, follow the setup process and see if your solo gets recognized on the network using the desktop software, rather than using the webplayer.

http://support.slingbox.com/go/downloads

• Slingbox not connecting, bought new one, not connecting either!
                              JeanieF

Ok so I went on the web player, it didnt recognise or connect with anything.  I phoned support and had someone spend a half an hour going round my computer and in and out of every possible solution to no avail.  In the end he told me that my box is out of warranty and the only thing to do was to buy a new box.

Bought a new solo yesterday.  Plugged in, lights solid, internet fine, firewall off, sky box fine.  No connection! When I go to directory it only shows my old box which it wont connect to.  There is no sign of the new box, I tried putting in the numbers on the bottom of the new slingbox as ID in the add slingbox section but doesnt recognise it.

I phoned support at 5.15pm and was on hold until 6pm when I finally hung up as no one had answered and they close at 6pm.  I'm in work tomorrow so wont be able to phone support, and they are closed on the weekend.  Any thoughts?  I have no idea whats going on and neither did the support people yesterday!  

I have my original slingbox 2 years with absolutely no problems,  I was ****** that I needed a new one but thought these things happen after a year or two, but to have bought the new one yesterday and having the exact same problem means it must not be the original slingbox that was the problem but something else....