4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2015 7:03 PM by mikecoscia RSS

My picture slides down over time with a black bar

kcrudup

I have a Pro-HD (running the latest FW 2.1.370) connected via component to a Cisco 94XX Whole-Home DVR on Cox cable, which is connected to the Internet via 50Mbit Down/5Mbit Up cable internet. This is my third Slingbox, having used one SB device or another since 2007.  Initially, everything works fine, but what happens is that after I've been streaming for a while I'll see the picture "blink" (go black for a frame or two, like it's losing synchronization) every 10-20 seconds, and the raster will drop a line downward. Every time the picture "blinks", the video drops down a line and eventually it's visible enough to see it has wrapped around.  It doesn't matter if I watch on the Web-based viewer:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/lkvu0wqscrql42m/Screenshot%20from%202013-09-30%2019%3A19%3A07.png  ... or on the Android Tablet app:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xph3isi7p8hhl4e/Screenshot_2013-09-30-19-42-38.png  ... or the "Classic" Windows-native SlingPlayer:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/01d0ysyq6eygz8a/Screenshot%20from%202013-10-03%2017%3A57%3A09.png  Also, when I disconnect/reconnect, it clears up, then starts "blinking" and the picture will begin its slide downwards all over again.  I don't think it's an issue with settings as the Web-based viewer really has none.  I'm pretty sure this isn't an issue on my end (I've changed the output resolution on the DVR from 720P to 1080i and it doesn't change anything) and I'm sure it's nothing obvious (or silly, like the "try a new set of cables" suggestion someone from Sling gave as an answer on the Support Forum before).  If you'd like the SlingID and password for my box so you can take a look at this yourselves, feel free to get back with me. I get great video with this setup, and if I can get it to act right it'll be really nice.  Apparently there's no known fix for this, but if I post it here perhaps someone at Sling will try to work on it so it may be fixed.

• Re: My picture slides down over time with a black bar
          anthony.sling Apprentice

Hey kcrudup,

This is quite an interesting issue! For this problem, I would recommend checking to see if you get this issue on your TV using the same outputs to your TV. I would also recommend swapping out your video cables for another set just to check to see if they are working properly. Since you are experiencing this on several viewing devices, this could be a security setting on the router blocking the signal of your Slingbox from being sent properly.

If you have any other questions, feel free to respond or give us a call at 1-877-467-5464. We are open to seven days a week, from 10:00am to 10:00pm EST.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

The Sling Media Moderation Team

kcrudup

I see Sling not only still doesn't know what's going on with this, but they're insulting our intelligence as well. "Cables"? Really? "Router Settings"? Seriously?! A useless answer is just as bad as a non-answer, Sling.

Anyway, I didn't want to say anything 'till I had a few days to play with it to make sure, but I'm pretty sure that this weekend I've come up with a solution for this problem. I'd gotten an inspiration by poster "rudnikda" that said the problem only seems to manifest itself when the TV (which is connected to the cable box via HDMI) was turned off. I discovered this to be true for my setup as well, which got me to thinking that it could possibly be related to HDCP checking(?) or HDMI port synchronization. I know that many of the HDMI splitter (not switch) boxes have to be HDCP compliant on their input sides so I inserted a 1-in-to-2-out HDMI splitter between my Cable box and my TV set and haven't seen the issue come back over several hours of Slingbox use. Since the HDMI splitter is always powered up whatever the anomaly is with the cable box component outputs doesn't occur and the PRO-HD doesn't lose sync.

The reason I didn't want to report back yet was the HDMI spliitter I'm using is a relatively expensive box that I'd only chosen 'cause it was the only one available at the retailer I'd gone to, but I have a cheap (~$14) unit from Amazon on the way and if that works then I'll certainly report back here so that other users will have a REAL solution for a problem that's over TWO years old that Sling has chosen to ignore.

mikecoscia

I'm having the same exact issue.  However, it only appears to happen within the sling player app for iOS.  I do not experience the sliding frame in the web player on my PC.  I have a slingbox Pro-HD connected via component cables, so your solution wouldn't apply to me.  Can't figure it out.