6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2013 8:21 AM by TylerG RSS

Fast internet, but slow streams?

stoners79

I have fast upload (3MB U/L) at my Slingbox site and fast download at my slingcatcher/ viewing via slingbox.com site (7MB D/L).  I don't understand why my stream is at 300-500 kbps?

I actually have 2 different internet sources at my house in Spain (where I am trying to view).  When I use ONO which speed tests me at 7MB, I can only stream at 3-500kbps.  When I use Telefonica, which speed tests me at 800kbps, I can stream at 800kbps or so.  At friends houses, I can stream over 2500kbps with their telefonica internet.  I live in a remote location and can't get faster telefonica at my house.

Ono is received via WIMAX.  I am able stream Netflix, hulu, etc in HD using ONO.  I don't understand why the Slingbox isn't working as well as those!?  Any ideas?  Should I try a VPN or something to see if it would go through more favorable nodes?  I'm totally frustrated, especially with NFL season finally here!

My devices:  Slingbox PRO-HD, Slingcatcher, but also use Slingbox.com and stand-alone Slingplayer program for viewing.  No difference in the streaming speed between different ways of viewing.

Thanks!

Robert

• Re: Fast internet, but slow streams?
          OvCollyer Apprentice

I'm speculating that your problem may be caused by the additional latency of a WiMAX connection - try running a speedtest (speedtest.net) but choosing a server in the same city as your Slingbox and posting back both your download speed and your 'ping'. Try this for both ONO and Telefonica so we can compare the pings.

You could try disabling TCP port forwarding at the Slingbox location which will force the website to connect using a different system that may work better for you, but unfortunately this will stop your Slingcatcher.

stoners79

Thanks for the reply!  I ran the speed test from Spokane Washington (9 time zones away!) and my result are:  1.36mpbs download speed and 215ms ping time.

I generally watch the Slingbox using the Slingcatcher, so wouldn't want to disable that.  Would love to hear other suggestions though!!

OvCollyer Apprentice

Yeah, the SlingCatcher was/is great - unfortunately two of the most useful strategies for speeding up a long distance connection don't work with it, namely forcing a SNATT connection instead of aTCP connection (as I mentioned) or the use of a proxy server which can also make a huge difference sometimes.

It might be worth experimenting with each of these options via the web player just to see what gains can be had - maybe if the gain from one of these was exceptional you could consider replacing the SlingCatcher with a mini HTPC style computer running the web player though it won't be anywhere near as convenient.

By the way, I'd say a 215ms ping is pretty high for Slingbox. I stream from both NYC and the UK to Istanbul and the latter has a latency of about 80-100ms and even this benefits substantially from a proxy server. Similarly the NYC connection.

TylerG Newbie

Cx last posted 5 days ago, and the question has been legitimately answered.