7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2013 7:21 PM by OvCollyer RSS

New 350 firmware has broken 50fps 720p streaming

OvCollyer Apprentice

As per the subject really.

Before this update, I had my STB outputting 720p50 and this was nice because it meant I could get a smooth 50fps stream even at less than HD resolutions, which is great for watching football when the Internet bandwidth didn't quite support HD.

It would appear the new firmware (1.03.162) has broken this functionality and I can't get anything above 25fps which now makes it resemble a webstream rather than proper TV. I believe it's the firmware because I have a box whose firmware is still the old one (1.01.052) and this still works as it did. As you can imagine, I cannot wait until this one updates to the latest firmware and you further ruin my viewing experience - probably overnight I expect.

Can this be addressed please?

• Re: New 350 firmware has broken 50fps 720p streaming
          OvCollyer Apprentice

Any thoughts on this Sling? Can you investigate?

1.03.162 has definitely stopped 50fps streams when the source is 720p which is a pretty fundamental step backwards IMO.

I'd like it to work as it was working before, with the stream @ 50fps for all quality settings when the source is 720p.

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hi OvCollyer,

Just wanted to give you a head's up that I checked in with engineering and they are aware of and investigating this issue.

-Matt

OvCollyer Apprentice

Thankyou that's reassuring to hear.

OvCollyer Apprentice

It's been over a month now since you released the firmware that reduced the functionality of my Slingbox.

I would like an ETA for when you are going to fix the two major issues which are the one detailed in this thread and also the remote commands being unbearable slow now.

I've given a ton of feedback over the years for your products, often in a lot of detail an as a result of careful testing but I rarely so much as a vague promise that things will be looked at.

I would like to remind you that I and other customers spend a lot of money on your products and it is not acceptable to downgrade functionality, without warning, and without the option to delay installing firmware.

I look around and see numerous other examples, such as plugin updates that have ruined the experience for others.

We are not beta testers for your products.

Enough is enough.

ferguspa Apprentice

This article went up recently:

What video input sources and output resolutions are supported by the Slingbox 350 and 500?

It seems somewhat relevant because your 350 (but not a 500) can't accept a 720p50 signal--maybe 720p50 not high on Sling Media's testing matrix?  Note there's no FPS on the outgoing stream resolution.

What resolution are you feeding the Slingbox?

OvCollyer Apprentice

My interpretation of that chart is that they are saying the 350 will handle both European and American framerate inputs, ie 25/50 and 30/60. This tallies with the recent release of the 350 in Europe. Now since they always output the same framerate as they receive as input that implies that 720p50 should be supported on the 350. Indeed they added a note to the last firmware announcement for the 350 acknowledging that they'd broken 50fps 720p streaming, after. I reported it.

I'm feeding my 350 a UK Sky 1080i/25 signal which works fine and gives a smooth 50Hz interlaced output. However, if I switch to 720p50 then it only streams as 720p25, whereas before the last firmware update it streamed as 720p50.

The odd thing about that chart is that they are saying that you cannot feed a European ie 25/50fps input to a Slingbox 500, which certainly isn't true - if they were to break that functionality, then they'll upset quite a few European folk who've imported a 500 over the past year, I should imagine....!

In fact, further evidence not to pay much attention to these charts can be found here:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000464.html

According to that one, the Solo and Pro-HD would be useless in Europe as they don't support 25/50Hz inputs.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Any update on this? You released new firmware but haven't fixed this issue.