10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2013 5:04 PM by Maxcats RSS

Slingbox 500 in Norway

fgl93041

I bought a Slinbox 500 during a visit to the USA. The sales person told me that i should be able to use it i Norway.

When i am trying to set it up i can`t choose Norway as a region. The only choice i get is USA and Canada.

Is it not possible to use this in Norway? Is it possible to upgrade the firmware in order to make it work in Norway?

Hope you can help me.

• Re: Slingbox 500 in Norway
          Maxcats Novice

The programme guide won't work in Norway but you can still stream content from your DVR.

Set it up using USA ZIP Code 90210.

I am in New Zealand and it works here.

fgl93041

We use the PAL standard in Norway, not NTSC... i guess that will be a problem?

Tober27

You have a US 500 model in New Zealand?

I just ordered one and am in Australia.  Were there any issues with the power supply?

Did you need to change voltage, or just a plug adapter?

If you could let me know, that'd be great, as I want to be ready before I recieve it.

Thanks.

Maxcats Novice

I have a 350 in NZ. No issues with power supply on this or my Pro-HD.

Both are 220 volt capable and both came with a NZ style plug. No adapter needed (not sure why they weren't US style though!)

Tober27

Where did you get it from that it came with a NZ plug??

Was the 350 released in NZ?

I need to find where to buy a power adapter now...

Maxcats Novice

Both units were bought used.

Slingbox has never been sold here new in NZ.

Australia had a Slingbox agent who I understand is no longer servicing or acting for Slingbox and did not import or support the Slingbox Pro-HD or 350.

I can't explain the plugs. But they are Slingbox supplied. With the Pro-HD it MUST be supplied by Slingbox, no D. Smith adapter with similar voltages will work.

So, get a plug adapter - around $3 and you're good to play.

Note that the programme guide will be missing.

Tober27

I believe the Slingbox Solo, Pro, and Catcher were released in Australia, and replacement power cords are available for those units.  I'd consider getting one if I knew it was compatible with the 500, as I prefer having correct cords and not using adapters.

But if you think the cheap outlet adapter is all I need and will work, I'll probably go with one of them.

If anyone knows where I can get an Australian/NZ power cord that will definately work safely with an American 500, or if either of the 3 mentioned above are the same power cord with it, let me know though.

Thanks.

Maxcats Novice

All you need is what is attached.

And sorry I just checked and my 350 came with the two straight prong US plug. The Pro-HD came NZ style.

The 350 is rock-solid and I also use an identical adapter 24/7 on my Apple Airport Express which came with a British Plug.

The picture attached is what I use on my 350.