8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2013 4:46 AM by OvCollyer RSS

Desktop Player for 350 and 500 - When?

Maxcats Novice

I own both a Pro-HD and 350.

I prefer the desktop player to the web based player and wonder 'if' or 'when' there will be a desktop player for the new models?

• Re: Desktop Player for 350 and 500 - When?
          alanrichey42 Master

My guess is never

Maxcats Novice

Sadly I agree. I prefer the desktop player and find I'm using my Pro-HD more as a result of the superior inteface.

Is there a technical reason Alan for your thining, or simply a Slingbox 'marketing' reason linked to data harvesting on-line?

alanrichey42 Master

I don't think there is a technical issue, I think it was just a corporate decision to limit themselves to a browser based solution.   Like you I much prefer the old V2.0 desktop player, it has much more functionality.   Mind you, V1.5 had even much more functionality !   Historically Sling have always made 'upgrades'  inferior to the versions they are replacing.  IMHO it was to make the whole process simpler (and dumber) to reduce the number of support calls.   All requests to leave the original functionality under an "Advanced" menu have been ignored.  Very frustrating.

Maxcats Novice

Alan what did V1.5 do? I'm a recent convert to the Desktop player as the Pro-HD came to my place after the 350 and after I'd got used to the web based player.

But Desktop is the way it should be!

alanrichey42 Master

V1.5 had 2 great advantages and a few minor ones.   First it allowed you to define Custom buttons across the bottom of the screen and name them.   This option was removed in V2.04 and if, like me, you had to use the default virtual remote that needed extra Custom buttons to operate fully, then the only way to access them was to right-click on the image and then try and remember what each button represented.

The other huge advantage was that it operated independently of the Sling servers.  You may have noticed that V2.04 (and the web-player) are 100% reliant on accessing the Sling servers during startup for country, account, slingbox details....   When this transition was made and many of us pointed out the vulnerability of such a system we were reassured that the Sling servers would never go offline   Well it has happened 3 times since then, in one case for almost a week.   Under those circumstances 2.04 (and the browser player) were unusable but V1.5 carried on regardless.   And if Sling ever go out of business we will all be screwed unless we have V1.5,

I still keep a copy on my laptop.

klotzkm

How unfortunate for my work. I have over a dozen Slingboxs in use but only for intranet usage (i.e. no port forwarding). The Web App does not support this configuration. I guess I am stuck with finding used/refirbished units from now on for expansion and/or maintenance. (returning my new 350 and purchased two re-firb Solos from Walmart...and saved money!

I also hate the browser based viewer. On old CPUs, it is unusable.

Maxcats Novice

As good as the current Desktop player is (although limited to the Pro-HD), it hints at far greater interactivity.

If they combined some of the past features Alan describes above with the current appearance of the newer version along with Belkin's ability to record and offer multi-user access and LAN based connection then we'd have a game changer.

Right now it's close but not quite there when you have to go back a generation to use it.

Sadly, the improvements in Slingbox image creation on the 350/500 can't been seen on the superior desktop player.

And for the record; I STILL have the audio ringing/echo issue on my Pro-HD on the desktop player.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Just adding my voice to this, really.

I don't suppose it'll ever happen, but Sling : you must have realised from the numerous posts on this subject over the years since the work was stopped on the desktop player that many people preferred it?

I dunno, charge for it, there is a thread elsewhere about a Windows 8 version in the store, do that or something, and put a Mac version in the App store.

Oh and for heaven sake don't build it on the same Flash architecture as the "Connected Device" players or you'll just import all the problems with that. Build it on the ActiveX plugin instead which forms the basis for your Windows web player and it'll be much better.