1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 27, 2013 10:46 AM by anthony.sling RSS

Slingbox ProHD stuggling with bitrate

ACC629043

Hi All-

I just recently started having some issues with my slingbox Pro HD with streaming quality. It seams like the slingbox doesnt want to stream over 300kbps, even times it drops to around 75-100 kbps. Which is unbearable as it stops and you cant even watch the stream. Before the issue happened we were streaming around 1500kbps consistenly. (As the upload speed is capped at 1.5 Mbps, ATT Uverse Max Plan). We tested the upload speed and it is 1.4mbps at the slingbox Pro HD location (USA). On the flipside were we have a slingcatcher, ipad slingplayer and mac/windows slingplayer, the download speed is clocking around 18mbps (Malaysia).

We recently had the router replaced on the Slingbox side USA a few months back, we port forwarded the slingbox to the router to get the sling to stream "TCP" not SNATT. We opened the TCP port to 443 as it wasnt getting out with the standard 5001 ports. That was all well for a few months and then all the sudden, the bitrates dropped to what i see now 75 - 300kbps. I have reset the slingbox, router in USA and ran through the slingplayer setup/internet viewing again. Without port forwarding any ports, the stream is showing TCP which is good i can see it on all my devices yet the stream speeds are still slow. Last night, i had my buddy even swap to another port on the router for the ethernet cord plugged into the slingbox. This seem to help a bit as i see i bitrate has improved even making it up to 800kbps but flucutates like ****.

Is there any issue why the streams would be slow even with the UP/Download speeds are decent? It seems like the port forwarding didnt help any right now, but should i do it anyway. Could it be latency issues, firmware on the router? I am running the latest firmware on the slingbox.  I am trying this one last request before biting the bullet and paying Slingbox Tech Support to help.

Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Jesse

• Re: Slingbox ProHD stuggling with bitrate
          anthony.sling Apprentice

Hey ACC629043,

Thank you for posting on our forums website! Sorry to hear that you are not receiving a good video quality when connecting to your Slingbox PRO-HD. The network speed can varie due to a limited amount of reasons. The network speed could fluctuate due to how many devices are on your internal network, bottlenecks in the network connection to the server, and many more.

This article below will explain more about what could be causing the issue you are experiencing.

If you have any other concerns about this issue, feel free to contact us back or call in at 1-877-467-5464. We are open seven days a week, 10:00am to 10:00pm EST.

Best Regards,

The Sling Media Moderation Team