19 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2014 6:16 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

ADB-2840c remote

jorotsakov Newbie

I own a Blizoo (Bulgaria) version of ADB-2840c and the only way I could make it work with my Slingbox was by using ADB-2842 remote settings from the setup.slingbox.com. Unfortunatelly some of the functionality is limited and not all of the keys work.

Here is how the device looks like:

http://blizoo.bg/tv_master.html

http://zetle.net/myweb/Pics/Offers/ADB-2840C/ADB-2840C_Front.JPG

http://zetle.net/myweb/Pics/Offers/ADB-2840C/ADB-2840C_Rear.JPG

I have tried a custom remote found here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10044 , but regardless of the way I uploaded it to the device it would not work.

Is there a way anyone from the sling-moderators to permanently upload the custom remote and make it available in the standard menu found at setup.slingbox.com?

Thank you very much!

• Re: ADB-2840c remote
          alanrichey42 Master

jorotsakov wrote:

I have tried a custom remote found here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10044 , but regardless of the way I uploaded it to the device it would not work.

Odd.  It has been downloaded 279 times and you are the first person to say it didn't work.   Guess you are doing something wrong.   Did you read the instructions ?

jorotsakov Newbie

Thank you very much for spending the time with my problems.

Here is a video I made, let me know what I am doing wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO14vL5nfP0&feature=youtu.be

alanrichey42 Master

I know absolutely nothing about Macs but it look OK.   But you obviously haven't done as I asked and read the instructions    Please do so, particularly the part that says:

"...If you have problems please do NOT just report back it 'doesn't work', that is totally useless for someone trying to understand what is going on.  So please report the following:...."

Also, you could try a newer set of installation instructions at :http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/forum/sling-player-remotes/how-to-add-custom-remote-bin-files-on-slingboxes-other-than-the-350500-1/

jorotsakov Newbie

Thank you very much for the prompt reply.

I Have tried all of the FYI in the readme file that came with the custom remote and tried everything on Windows Platform as well - same results.

1.   Was there any error message after you typed in the Code and tapped the Power button ?

NO

2.   Did you give the Power command plenty of time to react ?  (I have a DVR that takes about 6-8 seconds to power up/down)

YES, tried it 3-4 times

3.   After completing the setup (regardless of whether the Power button worked) do any of the other buttons work ?

None of the other buttons worked

4.   Have you used a Digital Camera to confirm the IR Blaster is actually firing when you tap the Power button ?  (Watch the tip of the IR Blaster thorough the viewfinder while you tap a button.  You should see a white (not red) flash)

The Blaster works and I can use it partially (some buttons are not accessible) with the settings for ADB-2842 found under setup.slingbox.com

5.   Have you experimented with the placement of the IR Blaster ?  On some devices this is critical so don't give up too quickly.

No need to, it works partially with the settings for ADB-2842

6.   Are you sure the device is working correctly using the real remote ?

Yes, everything works with the original remote.

7.   If nothing works check out http://betaremotes.slingbox.com where you might be able to build your own remote.

This site is down.

---------------------

In addition, I followed all the steps in the guide provided (http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/forum/sling-player-remotes/how-to-add-custom-remote-bin-files-on-slingboxes-other-than-the-350500-1/) and I get still the same results.

I know that it may sound like too much and I would understand if you say NO, but is there a chance I can PM you my slingbox ID along with the login information to see if you can maybe see something else I am missing.

Thanks a lot!  I have no idea why are you doing this, but I sure appreciate your help a lot!

alanrichey42 Master
                          The Blaster works and I can use it partially (some buttons are not accessible) with the settings for ADB-2842 found under setup.slingbox.com

Interesting.  The ADB-2842 appears to use a different IR system to the ADB-2840.   Try the attached new Custom Remote

Thanks a lot!  I have no idea why are you doing this, but I sure appreciate your help a lot!

I'm retired with plenty of time, and I got frustrated with the lack of help from Sling Media over unsupported boxes so decided to help other users.

jorotsakov Newbie

GOD Bless you man for all the devotion you have to helping desperate people like me

It worked from the first time! Finally FULLY operational remote!!!

I just don't get it, what is the difference between the custom remotes I downloaded first and the one you have upladed recently?

Second, I read about changing the remote control skin for the SlingPlayer (Desktop version), is there a way to do the same for the web-based player?

Again, shame on sling media support! I wish there are more people like you to help us!

alanrichey42 Master
                                  It worked from the first time! Finally FULLY operational remote!!!

I just don't get it, what is the difference between the custom remotes I downloaded first and the one you have upladed recently?

Good.   And I have no idea, but I will update the old one with the new one.

Second, I read about changing the remote control skin for the SlingPlayer (Desktop version), is there a way to do the same for the web-based player?

Yes, you just need to take a copy of the SPR image file from the Desktop folder to the Web Player folder.   What image are you actually after ?

jorotsakov Newbie

Alan,

Hope you had wonderful hollidays and great times with your family!

Sorry to bug you again but I wonder if you can help me add couple of functions to the remote.

I upgraded recently and was able to hook up my Slingbox 500 to the Cable Box via HDMI cable. Things are working great until the power dissapears. Then when everything goes to normal the cable box starts but with sound level wery low. Since volume buttons are not included in the latest version of the remote control somebody on the other end has to adjust the volume back to normal.

Is there a way to include the volume buttons in the custom remote?

alanrichey42 Master

Hi

I've mapped the Vol+/- functions to the Page+/- buttons as I see they were not being used before.   New BIN file attached.

New instructions for the 500 are at http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/how-to-add-custom-remote-bin-file-on-slingbox-500-and-350/

Any good. ?

alanrichey42 Master

Sorry, didn't add attachment

jorotsakov Newbie

You are simply amazing! Works great! Thanks a lot.

I really wonder how you do all this? is there a place you get the remote IR-codes, or a software you use to generate the bin files?

Let me know if there is a guide, Video or something that you have created in this regard.

I think that there is no replacement for the outstanding support you do, but there is got to be a way for people to create their own custom remotes.

alanrichey42 Master

I produced a guide at http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Create_Custom_Remote_Controls_and_use_them_on_your_Slingbox  although It probably needs updating a bit now.

That is for 'normal' users who have access to the original remote control.   In my case I don't, but luckily I have a Logitech Harmony Universal Remote so I can install most devices onto that and use to 'mimic' the original remote.   Then I can use the software tools I describe in the guide to analyse the codes and build the BIN files.

Cheers

Al

jorotsakov Newbie

Well Done! Very smart workaround

Let me know if you update the guide

jorotsakov Newbie

Little update....

I recently had to reset my slingbox and when I set it up I installed only the 2011_PL file provided by Alan.

As a result, I ended up with remote control with no RED-GREEN-YELLOW-BLUE buttons.

The way I got those to work was to install the 2010_PL.bin file first and then 2011_PL.bin afterwards.

Both files are located in the zip attached

alanrichey42 Master

I wish you had come to me first, as what you did was a coincidence and I wouldn't want other users to be misled  

Both those BIN files have the colour buttons defined, the only difference being that 2011 has the Volume functions mapped to the Page+/- buttons.   So 2011 should have worked 'out-of-the-box'.   And in theory when you installed the V2010 it should have replaced the V2011 and the Page+/- buttons would not have worked.   Just to confirm, I installed V2011 on my Slingbox 500 and it was fine.

I suspect what happened was related to a bug in the Slingbox 500.  See   https://community.sling.com/thread/26433?tstart=0

And for future reference there are normally 2 reasons for the non-appearance of the colour buttons:

1.   You are installing using the Mac standalone player which has a bug in it that disables the colour buttons .

2.   You are selecting Miscellaneous or DVD as the device (which do not support colour buttons) during the setup instead of Satellite, Cable or DVR.

jorotsakov Newbie

Hey Allan,

I know how busy you are with the serious problems on this site, so did not want to bug you with my Mac related issue

You are right, tried installing the remote via PC and worked just fine.

Thanks a lot.

you helped me a lot and I want to buy you a six-pack if you like beer.

Do you have a donation page somewhere?

alanrichey42 Master
                                                            I know how busy you are with the serious problems on this site, so did not want to bug you with my Mac related issue

Actually that is the only thing I know about the Mac so I wouldn't have been much help.

You are right, tried installing the remote via PC and worked just fine.

you helped me a lot and I want to buy you a six-pack if you like beer.

Do you have a donation page somewhere?

Good, glad it's sorted.   And thanks for the offer, I don't charge for helping out, but I am saving up at alan@rmrsoft.com on Paypal to buy an iPhone 6.....

Cheers

Al