7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2013 10:17 AM by Zbonomo12 RSS

Slingbox 500 vs Slingbox Pro HD

redcaad Newbie

I have 2 Slingboxes and I get different results watching the same channel from the same computer.  I'm in Switzerland and they are in the US in different rooms but wrired to the same network and Verizon Fios.  The 500 picture is not as good and skips every 10 second or so.  The picture resolution and size are not near as good as the Pro HD.  Can any body help troubleshoot this problem?

• Re: Slingbox 500 vs Slingbox Pro HD
          Maxcats Novice

If you look at the attached chart you can see that the stream demands for the 500 are higher than for the Pro-HD.

I guess the Pro-HD is streaming with less bandwidth demands and is therefore not straining your Broadband connection.

I have a 350 and Pro-HD and I think the Pro-HD is simply an easier device to stream over Wi-Fi which is why I like it.

eddiecolon91 Newbie

Hey redcaad,

I understand how not having a clear picture & slow streaming can be frustrating. When it comes to the issue you have the first thing you want to look in to is your network. I understand that you have high speed Internet at the home location. You would want to have a specific speed test done though to fully understand what the issue is. That would require you do a speed test at the home location as well as the location you are connecting from.

For speeds you want to be at 2mbps upload & 2mbps download. That is specifically for the Slingbox 500. At the location you are connecting at, the download speed is what you want to look our for. If it's underneath 2mbps or a little bit over you will have the issues you have.  The requirements for a Pro-HD are lower than the 500 requirements so the streaming on there should be ok.

Below is a link for a website where you can conduct a proper speed test.

What you could also try is to adjust the quality settings. It could potentially help with the streaming. I have a question for you as well. What cables do you have going from your cable box to your Slingbox 500? If it is yellow, red & white then that is composite cables. Composite cables only stream standard definition.

I hope this information helps & please feel free to respond with an answer or any further questions.

Best regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

redcaad Newbie

Hi eddiecolon91,

The network speed is very good at well over the 25/50 mbps (upload/download) for my plan.

I using the 5 cables from the cable box to slingbox as shown in the quick start guide and also the hmdi cable runs from the cable box to slingbox and then to the TV.

The quality and aspect setting didn't really help.

I tryed unchecking the 2 boxes under the advanced setting and that made a world of difference.  First I unchecked the HW acceleration box which was a big improvement but the video was shuttering a little.  The I unchecked the buffer option and that cleared that up.

My question now is how do I get use from the HMDI connection?  With my Slingbox Pro HD I have 3 inputs hooked up (Antenna, DVD Blueray player and Fios Cable box) which all work fine.  I can't get the HDMI to work.  It stopped working so I tried to reconfigure it but now the message is that slingbox can't configure it.  Also, I keep getting warnings that I should not be using it.  Really guys, I'd rather that you fix it instead of just giving warnings.  At least please remove the warnings. Can I safey use it to connect my antenna, DVD, PC, radio or some other device?  It would be helpful even if I had to buy another box.

Best Regards,

Dave

Zbonomo12 Novice

Hello redcaad,

Thanks for posting to our Forums! I can understand how not being able to use the HDMI connection as it's own sorce on your Slingbox 500 can be very frustrating.I can also understand that the warnings you see when you try to do this are getting annoying. With this being said I would like to let you know that the HDMI cable can be used and that the warnings are placed there to make sure you are aware that running HDMI only, you are subjected to HDCP(High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection). There is no way to run HDMI cables only and get around HDCP with the Slingbox.

Check this article, and Video:

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
                    The Sling Media Moderation Team