9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2013 10:51 AM by bosox1001 RSS

Can't access certain channels

bosox1001

I thought I selected the correct cable provider for me (Verizon, and there was only one Verizon choice on the set up menu), and it appeared that my Slingbox 500 was working and streaming my live TV, but on closer look, there are bunches of clannes that are not available for me to view on Slingbox. Did I select the wrong cable provider and/or is there a way to fix this?

• Re: Can't access certain channels
          alanrichey42 Master

Are the missing channels HDCP-protected ?

bosox1001

Honestly, I don't know. But the ones I noticed are missing seem to be sports related ones, like ESPN/SportsCenter, NFL, NHL, MLB Networks, etc. And those are the only reason I wanted to get this Slingbox for haha. I do get the local sports programming channel, though.

alanrichey42 Master

Yes, sounds as though your TV Provider has protected those channels so you cannot view them remotely.   Have you got a composite output on the box you can use ?   The channels won't be blocked on that like the HDMI/Component output.

bosox1001

Again, I don't really know what you're referring to haha, sorry. Is this just another cable I need to get? Maybe I should go to my nearest BestBuy and talk to an associate there?

alanrichey42 Master

Not complicated.  The Slingbox has 3 inputs, HDMI, Component (Orange/Blue/Green) and Composite (Yellow), and the Audio is Red/White.  I assume you are using the HDMI ?

So look for a Yellow output from your device and if there is one, plug it into the Yellow input on the Slingbox and configure that one.

bosox1001

Hmm I will try. I have a mess of wires going back and forth. I am using HDMI, but I also have Red/Green/Blue and Red/White and Yellow cables connecting to and from the Slingbox/TV/Cable box. Although.... I do think one Yellow wire is not connected, so maybe that is what you're referring to. I will have to try and fool around with that. But do you mean I should not use the HDMI in/output for the Slingbox and instead just use the colored wires? Sorry, I don't know much of the terminology with these things

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I'll try and explain.   The HDMI output from your Device has  something called HDCP (Google it) on it that stops certain channels from  being recorded.  If you use the Composite output that restriction isn't  applied.

So just do as I suggested and connect the Yellow output from the box to the Yellow input of the Slingbox.  Then go to http://newwatch.slingbox.com,  select Settings and the Configure Input and select the Composite  input.  Then set it up the same way you set up the HDMI input.   You  should find you can view all the channels.

Sorry, I don't know much of the terminology with these things

Google is your friend

bosox1001

Thanks for the help! That sounds like it's something I can follow. I will have to try and rearrange the cables and settings on the slingbox and cable box and post here with an update later! But, for the record, I have recorded the NFL Network (a channel I can't currently access on Slingbox) previously on my normal cable VCR and had no issues with that, if that is what you mean by record.