5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2013 6:01 PM by ceraxton RSS

Slingbox on Surface Pro?

WACKJOB

SlingBox - I use my Slingbox on a daily basis, not anymore. I am using a Surface Pro with WIndows 8.1 and my Slingbox doesn't work on it. PLEASE, PLEASE make an app so I and others like me can enjoy this great product!

thank you!!

• Re: Slingbox on Surface Pro?
          ceraxton

I cannot believe they have not released an modern app for Windows 8 yet.  I refused to upgrade to the 500 until they get caught up.  Similarly, there is no app for the XBox 360!

oshack1

On the Surface you don't need a app for the Slingbox. The awesome thing about the Surface is that you have  a full web browser. click the wrench on the bottom right then view on desktop.  Go to slingbox.com and put your user/passwrd info in.. Bam!! save your money on apps w/ the Surface

ceraxton

Not on the Surface I am using.  I receive this error message...

We're sorry, but your current web browser, operating system, or the combination of both is not currently supported by the SlingPlayer plug-in. Please click here for more information.

WACKJOB

For all you Surface Pro / Slingbox user wanna be's like me. I talked to a rep at Slingbox and they will eventually work out whatever issues they are having so we will be able to enjoy the Slingbox on the Surface. In the meantime if you go to... www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlnPPneeZ0w or just look it up on Bing or Google it willl show you how to use it. However, if you have (like me) upgraded to 8.1 you no longer can use it... unless you use Chrome and follow the steps there. I have been using it for a few weeks and it's great. Enjoy!!

ceraxton

Interesting video, but after following those same instructions it still does not work.  Windows 8 has been out for a year now, and developer builds for almost 2 years.  I'm afraid "Eventually" may be too late for SlingMedia.  Eventually DirecTV (along with every other service / content provider) will offer a working browser based solution to watching TV.  Aren't we SlingBox customers because they provide a solution now that is better?

Here's the quote taken from their support site.

Important Notes:

• If you're looking at this page on a mobile device, go here to check out SlingPlayer!
                    • Windows 8 is supported in Desktop Mode only. Windows 8 Modern Mode is not supported.