2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2015 10:38 AM by wanderlust099 RSS

Can I directly connect to slingbox on home network?

telekaster Newbie

I have a Slingbox 350 and use a WDTV Live to sling one of our AT&T U-verse boxes to it. This is all within the same home netowrk. I use an Apple Time Capsule for my wi-fi router in bridge mode, so it appears that all network administration is done through the AT&T gateway (modem). I have download speeds of 12Mbps and upload speeds of 1.5Mbps.

I'm guessing the quality suffers because the Slingbox is uploading the video into the cloud and then my slingbox is downloading it as well. Is there a way to configure a direct connection in this situation (within the same home wifi network)? I also do not want to lose the ability to use Slingplayer on my mobile devices when I'm not at home. Ive done some reading, but it's quite confusing. Any help appreciated! Thank you.

• Re: Can I directly connect to slingbox on home network?
          telekaster Newbie

I chatted with tech support, and the definitive answer is no. Was this possible on older models?

Capture.JPG

• Re: Can I directly connect to slingbox on home network?
            wanderlust099

There are two parts to my understanding of the answer.

1.  Is Internet REQUIRED.  Yes. Internet is absolutely required.  This is because the connection is negotiated through Slingbox servers.

2. Does the video stream pass through Slingbox.  NO.  Once the connection to the stream is established, it does not appear that Internet is necessary.  I have not tested for a heartbeat to keep the connection live, but definitely, the stream does not flow out of the home network.  [My configuration is remote and is unable to support a video stream outside the home network.  Viewing the sling stream is fine within the home network.]

Note:  One can watch the slingbox within the home network even if the router is not configured for viewing on the Internet