6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2013 5:48 AM by grayling RSS

Audio delay in SQ mode on Android Slingplayer

grayling

I experience a 0.5-1 second audio sync delay in SQ mode on the Android Slingplayer. I don't get the delay in HQ mode or when watching on a PC. I have a Galaxy S4, and I uninstalled/reinstalled the app today, which picked up the latest version. I can reproduce the problem consistently.

It is really distracting when watching TV and movies when on the move. If I watch in HQ mode I don't get the delay but it blows out my download limit.

• Re: Audio delay in SQ mode on Android Slingplayer
          grayling

To be clear - this isn't a comment, this is a bug report and request for fix. I have already been through a Sling Support chat session and was advised that this forum is the only way to escalate the problem. Please take a look and fix the code.

I understand that syncing audio to video is one of the hardest things to do in video compression and streaming. How about putting a slide bar in advanced settings that allows the user to adjust the audio sync in a range of +/- 2 seconds? On bad days I experience up to 2 seconds delay in audio which drives me crazy and makes viewing impossible.

grayling

I've continued to test this with different Slingbox models and different Android phones. I have tested various combinations of Slingbox 500, PRO-HD, and Galaxy S4, Galaxy S2. The results are consistent. There is (almost) no audio delay when viewing in HQ mode, but in SQ mode the delay is 0.5-1 sec.

This is a real problem and must be affecting multiple users. Please respond to this thread ASAP or suggest an alternative escalation method. I would like to receive at least an indication that someone working for Sling Media is watching this forum. I have bought 2 Slingboxes and the Slingplayer app, I would like some attention to this problem. Thanks.

anthony.sling Apprentice

Hey grayling,

Thank you for posting on our forums website! I have moved this thread to SlingPlayer for Mobile Devices Enhancement Requests, so we can further investigate this for you.

If you have any other questions about this issue, feel free to respond or give us a call at 1-877-467-5464. We are open between the hours of 10:00am to 10:00pm EST.

Best Regards,

The Sling Media Moderation Team

grayling

Thanks for investigating this problem Anthony. The problem still persists, I can reproduce it every day. I've given up trying to watch in SQ, it's just too distracting. I watch in HQ, but it really hits my mobile download limit.

I would suggest two enhancements:

1. fix the delay when viewing in SQ mode

2. add a slide bar in advanced settings that allows the user to adjust the audio sync in a range of +/- 2 seconds (this would also be great when using bluetooth headphones that experience a delay due to the technical limitations of bluetooth)

Just to rule out any confusion about the SQ mode problem - I see this problem when using direct-attached headphones. HQ is fine. This issue is not related to bluetooth. Fixing the SQ problem is definitely the priority.