3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2013 12:59 PM by failingm RSS

no AC3 audio via HDMI connection

failingm

I am an owner of a new 500 box and connected it via HDMI to my Dreambox8000.

Everything seems to work fine, except for audio.... Only MPEG audio is passed through to TV.

Whenever a channels only carries AC3 audio, or I select an AC3 track of any given channel, everything goes to mute.

It seems like a firmware problem to me? Is anybody aware of this? Any fix for it to be expected?

Best regards

Michael

• Re: no AC3 audio via HDMI connection
          craig.sling Novice

Hello failngm,

This is a very good questions that you have posted and I would like to thank you for asking it. I know a little about the Dreambox 8000 and think I can find a way to make this work for you. I have a few facts for you.

• Dreambox 8000 doesn’t support HDMI output -- just DVI -- but the Dreambox packaging includes a DVI to HDMI cable.
          • DVI output does not carry audio signals, even when using the included DVI to HDMI cable.
          • Dreambox 8000 supports both analog and digital audio output, but AC3 audio is only supported through the digital outputs.
          • The Slingbox 500 only has analog audio inputs

What you can do is run the DVI to HDMI to the TV with the Digital audio cable. This will give you HD sound and HD picture on the TV. You can than run components from the Dreambox to the Slingbox and that way you can get HD picture and audio that Dreambox will  convert to analog audio that the Slingbox supports. This way you are getting the best of both worlds.

At this time the only Slingbox that supports digital audio is the Slingbox Pro HD.

Hope this helps,

Thank you,

Sling Moderation Team

Maxcats Novice

How do you get the digital input on the Pro-HD to work?

I can not find the link that assigns the digital input to be assigned as main audio input for the Pro-HD.

failingm

I had the Pro HD before - I could get the digital audio to work when running the setup of the device via the web browser.

Regarding the post before: the Dreambox DVI to HDMI cable does carry audio - because I only have this one cable from DM8000 to AV Receiver - and now via Slingbox 500 to AV Receiver. It seems that the Slingbox does not support AC3 audio stream - the MPEG stream works

As I do not use any other cable than this one and I do have audio - but only MPEG audio - the only logical explanation is that the Slingbox does not handle the AC3 stream.

Looking for further idea/help....