3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2013 9:47 PM by bash484 RSS

I have a Slingbox 500, works fine but picture quality is definitely not HD, even watching on a good 50/25 FIOS connection.  Any ideas please?

ACC5214358

I have connected both component and HDMI feeds to Slingbox, even when setting "quality" to "best".  The laptop I am using to view has 1080p capability.

• Re: I have a Slingbox 500, works fine but picture quality is definitely not HD, even watching on a good 50/25 FIOS connection.  Any ideas please?
          Zbonomo12 Novice

Hello ACC5214358,

Thanks for posting to our Forums! I understand that you are not getting a full HD picture from your Slingbox 500.

In this situation, I first would like to know some more information. First, what browsers and operating systems have you noticed this issue on. Secondly, I would like to know if you're having this issue inside the home location or outside the home location.

In the mean time to make sure you are getting the proper speeds you are suppose to get. I would go to Speedtest.net, this web site provides you with an accurate reading of your download and upload speeds to the hundredths of a Mbps. Also make sure your router does have UpNp or NAT-PMP(Apple Routers) enabled.

Bellow is an link that will help you with the UpNp or NAT-PMP!

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
          The Sling Media Moderation Team

• Re: I have a Slingbox 500, works fine but picture quality is definitely not HD, even watching on a good 50/25 FIOS connection.  Any ideas please?
            ACC5214358

Hello, and thanks for your response.  Here are the details you requested.

The Slingbox 500 is in Rhode Island, on Verizon Fios, and I just re-checked the bandwidth test:  I am geting Ping 24 ms; Download 28.04 Mbps; Upload 17.38 Mbps

It is supposed to be 50/25, but it seems that the speed I measured should be OK for Slingbox.

I am currently at the Rhode Island location, but we live in Anguilla in the Caribbean, and the connection there is DSL, and slower (typically 1.5-2.0 Mbps down/0.7-1.0 up), and the picture there was clearly not HD, but I presumed that was because of the local internet connection.

However, when I returned to Rhode Island, the picture quality was about the same.  All computers are running Win-7, and I am accessing the stream with Google Chrome in both locations.

I logged in to the Verizon Router (M1424-WR Rev.E), and is seems that the UpNp settings are OK:

…unless I need to change the Publication option – I didn’t mess with that.

My son set up the Slingbox while I was not here, but it seems to be connected correctly.  The Hdmi connections are OK, the gbr from the monitor go to the "component in" terminals on the SB, the Red/White audio cables to the "Component in"" terminals. and the yellow video cable also goes to the "component in" terminal on the slingbox. (See attached files)

I know the yellow component video cable should not need to be connected, but when I unplug it, the video blanks, and I get “no video signal”  The composite (RGB), and the hdmi cables appear to be connected correctly.  I tried all kinds of settings, with no success.  Could I have a bad cable?

Hope you can help me to find a solution!  If not, I have a 1080p flat screen for sale in Anguilla! ;-)

John

bash484

I posted in this forum section earlier but it looks like sling moved my post.  I don't know if it will work for you but try only having the component cables connected when using the sling player.  Pull out the hdmi cable.  When I did this my picture quality issue was fixed.  Even though they say you can leave both in it seems the protection on the hdmi connections are lowering and even sometimes completely blocking the signal.  I now just plug the hdmi in when I want to watch on the tv my slinplayer and cable box is hooked up to and unplug to watch on the sling apps.  Hope that may help.