7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 7, 2013 1:10 AM by nightcourt RSS

Slingbox 350 or Pro-HD in Germany: AC Adapter, Upload Speed

kJoko

Hi guys,

I recently found out about the Slingbox and the amazing capabilities it presents to me.

I am ready to buy a Slingbox, I just cannot decide on which one to buy. Either the new Slingbox 350 which I would import from the US or the older Pro-HD, since I live in Germany.

I would prefer the Slingbox 350 simply because it is the newer model and costs almost the same.

The first question I have is: Is it possible to use the Slingbox 350 in Germany with a 220~240V Power Supply?

The second thing is, is my upload speed: 2.5-3.0 Mbit/s enough for decent HD streaming? It does not have to be perfect, I want it to be smooth since I'll mainly use it for streaming sports, if not I could upgrade to 5.0 Mbit/s.

Thank you in advance.

• Re: Slingbox 350 or Pro-HD in Germany: AC Adapter, Upload Speed
          OvCollyer Apprentice

The 350 will work fine in Germany, you only need a plug adaptor. It's dual 120/240v.

2.5 - 3 Mbps is borderline HD in my experience, if your source is 1080i. If you get a solid and stable 3mbps it should be ok - where are you streaming from? Try a speedtest ( speedtest.net) choosing a server in the same city as where you plan to put the Slingbox to get an idea of your real-world speed.

The 350 is way better than the Pro-HD for sports if you get it streaming at HD because at HD it switches to super smooth 50/60 frames per second.

Things are slightly different if your source is 720p because it seems to use the higher frame rate at both 640 x 480 and 1280 x 720, or at least that was my experience when I last tried about 6 months ago.

• Re: Slingbox 350 or Pro-HD in Germany: AC Adapter, Upload Speed
            nightcourt

Hi kjoko

I'm from israel, i purchased a month ago the slingbox 350 , my upload speed is 3.0 Mbit/s, on Both ends, & 30 Mbit/s downloed speed on both ends.

the picture quality i'm getting is  horrible !

there are two options in the slingbox, one is SD (standart quality), & the second is HD quality.

in the SD quality which is lower quality, the picture is very blurry and get stuck many times.

my DVR is HD, i'm coneccted with component cables, & still Unfortunately thats what i'm getting.

i saw many reviews about slinbox 350 & most of them are good, it could be that here in israel there is other Reasons way i get this poor qwality.

my suggestion to you, is to find someone that will give you his user name & password, & try to see if the qwality is to your satisfaction. ( if you want i can give you mine).

best of luck