2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2013 9:05 AM by sighte RSS

Wrong AirPlay aspect ratio from iPad and iPhone

sighte

Hi,

I updated the SlingPlayer app on my iPad and iPhone to v3.5.1, and since then, both have been displaying the wrong aspect ratio on my TV when using AirPlay (not mirroring).

The iPad squashes the image so that there are black bars on the left and right - and displays like 4:3. The iPhone, however, has the opposite problem, with black bars at the top and bottom - giving an aspect ratio somewhere in the region of 21:9!

You can see what I mean in the attached photos.

The iPad is an iPad 3 (iOS 5.1.1), while the iPhone is a 4S (iOS 5.1.1). (I haven't updated to iOS 6 because of the HQ problem.) I've also tried an iPhone 5 (iOS 6.1.3), and got the same result as the 4S. All three iDevices are connecting to the same Slingbox (Solo) and the same Apple TV (3rd gen, iOS 5.3). They're all set to 'Letterbox' format, although choosing different formats has not changed the aspect ratio on the Apple TV.

I must emphasise that the aspect ratio was fine in the past (with older versions of SlingPlayer), and I have not made any changes to the settings since then.

Please help!

• Re: Wrong AirPlay aspect ratio from iPad and iPhone
          Zbonomo12 Novice

Hello sighte,

Thanks for posting to our Forums! I'm sorry to hear you are unable to get the aspect ratio to stream correctly over Airplay using the latest Slingplayer version for the Iphone.

If you look at the article, and read the last bullet in the article. That may help you with troubleshooting this issue:

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
          The Sling Media Moderation Team

• Re: Wrong AirPlay aspect ratio from iPad and iPhone
              sighte

Thanks for the response. I enabled AirPlay mirroring, as described in the article, but the picture doesn't fill the screen. (See attached photo.) In the old version of the app, this worked (and this was how I used to watch), but not now.

I noticed that there's an addition to the article now:

UPDATE JULY 2013: Unfortunately, the latest update to  SlingPlayer for iPhone and SlingPlayer for iPad has disabled this  feature. We are working to bring the feature back very soon - hopefully  in August 2013! We will remove this update notice as soon as the feature has been re-enabled.

So I suppose mirroring will work as previously in the next version of the app.

Either way, it would be great if regular AirPlay would work too, without the black bars.