5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2012 8:52 PM by electson RSS

Help, setup remote slingbox tuner & view with slingcatcher ?

gazcarraga

I recently bought a slinbox tuner and a slingbox catcher on amazon. I plan on installing the tuner at a friends house in Mexico so I can watch some cable channels here in the US.

My plan was to send him the tuner so he can set it up and then I could connect to that tuner ( in Mexico) from my US home through the internet.

My propblem is that on the setup instructions it says that I need to install the software on a computer that is on the SAME network as the tuner. But that network will be at his house in Mexico.

So my question is: how can I view the slingbox tuner ( once installed in Mexico )  with my sling-catcher or pc while I am in the US ? Is there like a specific slingbox tuner address or id number I can conect to once it is transmitting the cable channels over the net from Mexico. That way, when I am setting up my slingcatcher here at home in the US I can look for it somewhere in the web.

Or how does that work ?

I still have the slingbox tuner here in my home in the US, so if I have to set it up ( or configure) on my home first, I can do it, and then send it to Mexico for installation.

Please Help

• Re: Help, setup remote slingbox tuner & view with slingcatcher ?
          eferz Expert

Make sure the cable service in Mexico is a standard analog cable TV (CATV) service.  The Slingbox Tuner does not not support digital cable service.

http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-005124.html  -- a video guide for  installing the Slingbox Tuner

Well, besides the physical connection, there's a few parts in configuring the Slingbox.  One part is to setup the IP address, so its available on the local network.  Normally, that's taken care of by a DHCP server which resides on most residential gateways.  You might consider using DHCP reservation or static IP address for the Slingbox.  That requires you to assign a specfic IP address to the Slingbox or the Slingbox's MAC address.  The address must valid to the local subnet but outside the range of the address assigned by the DHCP server.  This is important for remote viewing to ensure the Slingbox always has the same IP address.

The next part is to set up the router for port forwarding.  This will enable you bypass the router's security and allow connect to the Slingbox from outside the network that the Slingbox resides.  If you have remote access to their router, then you can remotely configure port forwarding.

The next part is seting up the video source.  Traditionally, someone will configure this locally but if you have setup port forwarding on their router.  You will be able to configure that remotely.

The Slingbox is uPnP compatible, and if your router is also compatible then whomever in mexico can enable uPnP on the router then run through the Slingbox Assistant.  It will setup the configuration for the gateway for remote internet viewing, and you will be able to connect to it over the internet.

My suggestion is to setup your Slingbox Tuner and Catcher at home just to get an idea of the setup process.  That will allow you to make sure the devices are working, and will get you familarity to help your friend or family member to locally configure it.  There are also many ways that you can take control of a PC over the internet using RDP software, that's one way you can configure the Slingbox in Mexico while you're in the United States.

ninoclown

I am in the same sort of dilemma....I am living in Europe and am trying to watch a slingbox in the USA. The slingbix service is already setup and working. I have the login info for the Slingbox but when I try to access it (setup assistant) I am required to be on the same network as the Slingbox.

I was told to just download the Slingplayer and I should be able to enter the Alias, Password and Slingbox ID to view the box?

Thanks!

eferz Expert

ninoclown wrote:

I am in the same sort of dilemma....I am living in Europe and am trying to watch a slingbox in the USA. The slingbix service is already setup and working. I have the login info for the Slingbox but when I try to access it (setup assistant) I am required to be on the same network as the Slingbox.

I was told to just download the Slingplayer and I should be able to enter the Alias, Password and Slingbox ID to view the box?

Thanks!

I'm not sure if I understand why you're using the Setup Assistant, or are being forced to be on the same network as the Slingbox.  That's only necessary for the inital installation because you need to open up ports on the hosting router to allow public trafic to reach the Slingbox.  If the Slingbox is properly setup, then you should be able to use the Slingplayer client as you've said to watch the box.

JCVA

Hi,

I live in México City,

I have 5 slingboxes working well (4 in México and 1 in Chicago) in tha same account,

I use pc, slingcatcher and nokia 3g, in México and Chicago, so

You only need good internet conexión (Telmex)

If you want I can help you to config your slingbox en México,

In fact I have CCTV with PTZ camera in one slingbox in México

my email is cesar_vilama@hotmail.com

electson

Hola Julio Cesar "JCVA" Serias tan amable de ayudarme en lo siguiente:

Estoy decidiendo en comprar equipos de SlingBox para usarlos en Sonora Mex.

Mi pregunta y duda es: al SlingBox-Pro HD , le pudiera conectar una o varias camaras o DVD camcorders ( Live Video ) aunque fuera en Definicion estandard (SD) En el otro extremo remoto que debo usar para sacar el video compueso Composite Video ? Pudiera ser una PC con buena tarjeta de video que tenga salida de video compuesto estandard NTSC ?  o algun otro dispositivo de Sling ?

Mi otra pregunta y duda es: Del SlingBox-Pro HD ,al conectarlo a mi Router o / modem, puedo enviar mi señal a mi pagina Web ?

Tengo una pagina de mi negocio con buen espacio sin usar, es    www.transmisores-tv-fm.com,   mi correo es: electson@prodigy.net.mx

Gracias anticipadas y un cordial saludo de Hermosillo: Jesus E. Robles Del Cid.