4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2013 5:41 AM by doryovel RSS

Is there a "network log" ?

doryovel

Hi

I am looking for a log file or web based, that can show me details about connecting to my SlingBox pro from several locartion.

Thanks

• Re: Is there a "network log" ?
          test350 Novice

This information is logged on the Sling servers.  If this is a security issue, e.g. you suspect unauthorized access to your Slingbox, Sling support may release some info, if you can convince them that you are the rightful owner.  It may be easier for you to just set new admin and guest passwords and see whether the trouble stops.

There are logs written by the various players, but I don't think that's what you are looking for.

AFAIK, there are no user-accessible logs kept on the Slingbox itself.

There are various ways you could get a computer to "see" the Slingbox traffic.  You could then capture it with Wireshark and analyze to your heart's content.

What kind of information are you seeking?

doryovel

Hi

Thanks for your quick reply!

I have shared my slingbox (via guest accounts) with some friends, in various locations.

I was wonder if I could see who logged in and from where.

Is there any tool to log from the local PC?

Thanks a lot!

test350 Novice

The Slingbox might have a "syslog" or similar capability, but I know nothing about that; perhaps another member can help.

Otherwise, you will have to get your PC to "see" the Slingbox traffic.  See http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/Ethernet

Once you get that working, you can capture Slingbox traffic.  This could be quite large if you have fast upload or it's viewed for hours on end, so you may want to set a filter to capture only packets to the Slingbox (which is far less data than the returned video).

Then, use the Statistics->Endpoints->IPV4, which will give you a nice chart showing packet count from each source IP address.  Lookup those addresses, e.g. at domaintools, to see ISP and approximate location.