2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2013 6:10 PM by BamaJohn RSS

Wireless network setup issue

dnyhuis

I've had my Slingbox 500 for several months now, connected via an Ethernet cable this entire time.  Everything has been working just fine, but I'd really like to get rid of this cable strung from my living room to my office (looks terrible, tripping hazard).  So, I'm attempting to connect via wireless; however, when I attempt to connect my Slingbox via wireless, I'm running into an issue.

Since I'm not broadcasting the SSID on my router, I need to enter the network name and password manually.  To do so, I've been following the following screens:

1. Settings
      2. Network
      3. List WiFi Networks
      4. Other

After entering the network name, password, and selecting "Connect", the Slingbox attempts a connection.  However, although I've selected the correct network authentication type, and entered the network name and password correctly, Slingbox says "Connection to Network Failed".  I've gone through all the other network types just to make sure, but it's still unable to establish a wireless connection.  Here's the fun part:  When I enable SSID broadcasting, I'm able to connect my Slingbox to my wireless network, and the streaming works perfectly fine.

I've gone through my router and verified everything is correct — network name, password, and authentication type.  I've even verified on the box itself that it has the latest software.  In fact, here's what it's running:

• UI Apps Version:  1.3.20
      • Firmware:  1.5.492
      • Hardware:  1.2.0

The WiFi network screen explicitly states:  "Please select your wireless network.  If your wireless network is hidden, choose 'Other' from the network list" (bolding and underline added).

My question and/or issue:  Is this a defect with the Slingbox software, or does it require the SSID to be broadcast?

If the Slingbox software doesn't require the SSID to be broadcast, why can't I establish a connection to my wireless network, but can when the SSID is broadcast?  However, if the Slingbox software does require the SSID to be broadcast, why does it state that I can connect to a hidden network?

Does anyone have any clues, ideas, or suggestions?  Am I possibly missing something, maybe obvious?

Other possible helpful information is that I'm an AT&T U-verse subscriber, using their residential gateway/router, which it's model number is 3800HGV-B.  Also, I'm not using MAC filtering, as I noticed was described in another post.

Hopefully I've been able to provide enough information, but please ask if anything else will help solve this issue.

Thank you!

• Re: Wireless network setup issue
          Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello dnyhuis,

Thanks for posting in the forums! I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble connecting to your Slingbox 500 via built-in WiFi.

I would recommend contacting Sling Media Support. They will be able to walk you through setting this up. It very well could be an issue with the Slingbox as well. There is a one year complimentary support warranty, and the Slingbox 500 has not yet been out for a year. Therefore, you will not be charged for any kind of troubleshooting.

Below is a link to an article from our support site that explains how you can contact us:

Have a great day!

Kind regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

• Re: Wireless network setup issue
            BamaJohn

Just so you will know - it is not just you. I had the exact problem you describe.