5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2013 6:21 AM by ACC5362277 RSS

Can I watch TV on my iPad and Bedroom TV at the same time?

ACC5362277

My wife likes to watch the iPad downstairs.  I'm upstairs and would like to watch TV too

But if I try to watch while she's watching on the iPad I get a notice on the TV that if I proceed she will be disconnected

I've got component and HDMI cable connections from the DVR to the Slingbox, but only HDMI from the Slingbox to the TV

If I hookup component cables from the Slingbox to the TV in the bedroom, can she watch the iPad and I watch TV at the same time?

(Even if it has to be the same station?)

Thanks

• Re: Can I watch TV on my iPad and Bedroom TV at the same time?
          Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello ACC5362277,

Thank you for posting in answers.slingbox.com! I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble connecting to your Slingbox and iPad at the same time.

There is a way to do this. However, you are correct, you will have to be on the same channel. The reason you are being asked to disconnect another user, is because the Slingbox is being used as a pass through to your TV.

In order to avoid this, you can connect HDMI, composite, or component cables directly from your cable box to your TV and switch the input on your TV to whatever cable you are using. This way the video is not passing through the Slingbox.

Whenever you are connected to the Slingbox on one device, and try to connect from another device, it will give you that message.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

The Sling Moderation

ACC5362277

Thanks for your response!

OK - let's see if I understand your suggestion

Right now I have the Slingbox connected to the DVR with an HDMI cable AND the necessary component cables (plus audio) with only an HDMI connection from

the Slingbox to the TV.

My understanding is that the component video and audio connections are necessary because of the "HDCP problem", where signals are blocked from traversing the HDMI connection.

So, if that is the case, because of the HDCP problem, isn't the HDMI DVR -> Slingblox connection superfluous and unnecessary?  What piupose does it serve? Is it true then that all you need to enable complete Slingbox functionality are component video and audio cable connections between the set top box and the Slingbox?

Can't I just REMOVE the HDMI between the DVR and the Slingbox, and connect the TV directly to the DVR with the HDMI cable?  Will that allow me to watch

TV while my wife is watching the Slingbox client app on the iPad?

Thanks in advance for your response to the clarification I seek

Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello ACC5362277,

Thank you for responding!

We do recommend connecting HDMI and Component cables from your set-top box to your Slingbox, due to HDCP. This issue does not happen with every set-top box. Therefore, you may not experience this issue if you were to use only HDMI. You can always test it out.

Your theory is correct. You would be able to disconnect HDMI from your set-top box to your Slingbox and leave only component and audio cables connected. Running HDMI between your DVR and your TV will allow you to watch on your TV and also be able to connect to the Slingbox on a device at the same time. However, you will be watching the same program.

Hope this helped!

Cheers,

The Sling Moderation Team

ACC5362277

Ok - here's an update!

The reconfiguration has been working great - and my wife can watch the iPad and I can watch the TV (same channel)  in the bedroom at the same time.  This is what we wanted

But - now that there's no cable connection between the Slingbox and the TV - the Slingbox remote control has no effect (nothing displays).  This was no surpise, and no big deal - because once your Slingbox is configured and working, why would you need the connection? How often would you need to run the configuration application? Only rarely, if ever, I should think.

Perhaps a more permanent and complete solution - to reconnect the Slingbox to the TV - would be to acquire another pair of component cables and connect them from the Slingbox (out)  to the TV (in).  Then when the occasion arises where you need to manage the Slingbox, you select the component input on your TV to manage the Slingbox with its remote (but for normal viewing you would use only the HDMI input on the TV)

So this 'permanent fix' still needs to be tested, and I need to acquire another set of component cables. In the meantime, I have a spare and unused HDMI cable which came with the Slingbox.