26 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2014 10:17 AM by ACC5182522 RSS

Slingbox 500 updated and now it is interfering with my live tv viewing

dcmccullo

I updated my Slingbox 500 yesterday. Had to reset the box three times and updated twice after the last reset.  Tech support in chat says I have the latest update.  Now when I turn off my tv in live viewing (and I leave the cable box/pvr on!), the next time I turn on the tv on there is nothing - no picture or sound.  In order to watch live tv I have to unlplug the power from slingbox and restart it.  Then tv viewing is normal. 

I haven't tried remote viewing yet, but am afraid that turning off the tv, which should have no effect on sling, is somehow affecting it.  Maybe slingbox is just needing a reset randomly and I don't notice until I turn on the tv again?  The other strange thing is that slingbox lights say power and network are both good when this happens.  Anyone have this problem?  I will be on the road tomorrow and want to access my shows...

• Re: Slingbox 500 updated and now it is interfering with my live tv viewing
          variable42

I am experiencing the same problem since the update. Every new day that I turn on the SlingBox 500, I just see a black screen. I can bring up the SlingBox menu via its remote, and if I go to Setttings, Input, the live TV feed shows up in the small test area. But selecting the Live TV top-level menu option just displays a black screen with no audio. Doing a full restart of the SlingBox resolves the issue, but it is very annoying to have to do.

doitt2 Newbie

This black screen on the TV happened to me too after updating firmware to 1.5.x.  Power cycling the 500 a few times did not seem to work for me though.  Even though I use component cables, and didn't see a need to connect HDMI from the cable box to the 500 input.  However, once I connected an HDMI cable like this it worked, even though it did not make sense to do so.  Maybe it just needed one more reboot, but clearly something was overlooked in the QA process for this update, since others are reporting similar problems.  Wasted about an hour trying to fix this.

One way to get around this black screen issue is to just connect the HDMI from your cable box output to the AVR or TV input, and use component output from the cable box to the 500 inputs.  Obviously, doing this does not let you see the 500 output on your AVR/TV.  This is what I did before doing what I mentioned in the first paragraph.

test350 Novice

One way to get around this black screen issue is to just connect the HDMI from your cable box output to the AVR or TV input, and use component output from the cable box to the 500 inputs.  Obviously, doing this does not let you see the 500 output on your AVR/TV.  This is what I did before doing what I mentioned in the first paragraph.

Recent TVs and AVRs have multiple HDMI inputs.  If you have one to spare, you can feed the cable box directly to one HDMI input, the Slingbox output to another HDMI input and use component cables to feed the Slingbox.  That way, you get full HDMI quality for local TV viewing and a Slingbox problem can't mess it up.  This works only if the cable box can output component and HDMI simultaneously.  One downside (if the cable HDMI output is unencrypted) is slightly lower quality on the Slingbox stream.

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hello everyone,

I'm gathering some information for our engineers and product manager regarding your experience. If you are experiencing this issue and have a moment, can you please post the following information:

A: Video source used: Brand, Make and Model number

B: TV used: Brand, Make and Model number

C: AVR/Home Theater system used (if applicable): brand, Make Model number

D: Setup details: What Input and Outputs cables are connected?

E: Is Issue seen on all outputs or specific outputs?

Thanks so much for any additional detail you can provide.

-Matt

ACC5111996

On July 9th I started to experience the same problem: no video or audio after powering off my TV. I trouble shot the cabling and typical failure scenarios. I was away for a while and got back to looking into the problem yesterday, July 15. I eventually discovered the problem can be corrected by power cycling the Slingbox 500. Through trial and error I discovered that the problem returns each time I power off my TV...even just for a few seconds.

• Slingbox 500 is also interfering with my local tv viewing
                    mad4usc06

I just recently purchased my Slingbox 500 and have run into this exact problem every morning since set-up.

Each morning I've woken up to a black tv screen with no audio, either. The Slingbox menu is displayed perfectly when I use the Slingbox remote, and the audio/video feed display fine in the preview picture in the "Input" settings menu. However, when I return to "Live TV," nothing shows up on my tv. Internet viewing works fine throughout the local tv "blackout."

Simply hitting the Restart button on the back of the 500 fixes the issue after a few minutes, but I obviously did not purchase the 500 expecting to run into any sort of local viewing problems like this.

I currently have all 3 inputs (HDMI, Component and Composite) connected and configured. Connected via home wi-fi. Slingbox 500 is connected to my TV via HDMI cable. Verizon FiOS TV and internet provider.

I was wondering if anyone found a workaround or way to troubleshoot the issue yet. I understand the original post is from quite some time ago and didn't seem to have a real definitive answer.

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hello again,

I spoke with our product manager, and he is requesting additional information to help identify the issue. For any of those still impacted by this issue, can you please provide the following information and post in this thread.

• HDMI Connection/Setup details      Example: Source –> hdmi–>  Slingbox 500 –> hdmi–>  AVR –> hdmi–> TV
                      • TV Used : Brand, Make  and Model No
                      • AVR/Home theatre system used : Brand, Make  and Model No (If one is used)
                      • Is issue seen only on HDMI output or on all outputs?
                      • How were you using the set up when the issue started? (remote viewing of DVR content for example)
                      • Set top box or video source details: Brand, Make and Model No

Thanks so much!

-Matt

mad4usc06

Source (Verizon Fios) --> hdmi,component,composite --> Slingbox 500 --> hdmi --> TV

TV is a Sanyo. I'm having trouble finding the exact make and model no. I'll keep looking and add the info if I can find it.

Not using any AVR or home theater system.

As I only have the HDMI connected to my TV, I have no way to decifer if the issue persists with any other outputs. But the issue persists no matter what input (hdmi, component, or composite) is selected to stream online.

The issue first began when remotely viewing live TV from my Android phone.

FIOS HD box. Motorola QIP 7232.

ACC5606278

I have the same problem.  I just received the SlingBox 500 today.  Got it setup and the little preview box shows the signal just fine. However, when I view "Live TV" it is a kklklllblank/black screen with no audio.  However, if I go online, I can view my cable signal just fine from there, with audio.   The only way I can get my actual TV to show anything is to go to the little preview window in the setup portion of the menu when you select your input.

Connection setup:  ATT Uverse (Motorola) -> Component -> SlingBox 500 -> HDMI -> Sharp 52" LCD TV (LC-C5255U)

TV Used: Sharp 52" LCD TV (LC-C5255U)

AVR/Home Theater: None

Issue seen: Only have tried HDMI output

(Note: I do see the video signal when I do the setup input section, and obviously I see all the video output from the SlingBox itself [e.g., menus])

How was I using when first started:  It did this out of the box

Set top box:   ATT Uverse (Motorola)

I tried changing my video output to 720p, 1080i, 1080p and none of those resolve the issue.

SlingBox Info:

UI Apps Version: 1.3.20

Fimrware Version: 1.5.492

kaze1sd

Almost same exact issue.  Brand new Slingbox 500 user.

Can view Live TV via Settings > Input and via Internet but not actually during the Live TV function.

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS:

• I have updated firmware to 1.5.492.  Did not work before or after update.
                                • Tried different resolutions OUT of the Cable Box: 480p, 720p, 1080i.  Did not work.
                                • Tried different resolutions out of the Slingbox 500: 720p, 1080i, 1080p.  Did not work.
                                • Tried cycling power of TV, Slingbox, and cable box in different comibinations and order.  No avail

CONNECTION SETUP:

Cox Digital Cable > Scientific Atlanta - Explorer 8240HDC > Component Cables only > Slingbox500 > HDMI out > Sony Bravia KDL-40EX400

(Slingbox 500 is also hardwired via Cat5 to the internet.)

Other notable variables:

• My cable box will not display video out of component cables while an HDMI cable is plugged into it.
                                • My Live TV function WILL work if I have the HDMI (and component cables simultaneously hooked up).
                                  • However, my remote viewing function will not work (only audio will come through) while HDMI and component cables are hooked up simultaneously.
                              rowlandexpress

was there a fix to this problem?   i just started having this problem tonight.

i have had my box for quite a long time with no problems like this until tonight.

joshsorka

I bought a new 500 yesterday and have the same issue.  Matt, is there a fix for this yet?  I am going to return the 500 if it can't be fixed.  I got the 500 to replace a Slingbox ProHD that had apparently been fried as a result of a thunderstorm, and the 500 sets up fine, the little test video works, but when I turn on live TV on the main menu, it cuts off the input to the TV.  Slingbox itself works fine, but can't give up the use of a TV set if this doesn't work.  Thanks.

halibey

Dear Matt,

After the recent update I am getting audio but the screen freezes for several seconds. I am not able to view slingbox 500 on any of my computers, Ipad or Samsung galaxy. I have also checked all video resolution and has not helped. I live in China and the slingbox is very important for me. I hope can have a fix to the recent update  very soon.

Mark

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hi halibey,

I know our engineering/QA department testing is close to complete on the latest software update, but I do not yet have a confirmation of public release date. I do think it will be in the next couple weeks, but I will update this thread when I have more detail.

In the meantime, please call our support (877-GO-SLING) when you have a chance so they can further troubleshoot to see if there is anything that can be done to improve your Slingbox experience.

-Matt

bmj

I don't know if this discussion is still active or not, but here's hoping.  I just purchased and set up my Slingbox 500 and have experienced the same problem over the last 2 days.  I cannot view Live TV after an update or in the morning when the tv has been turned off all night.

My tv is an LG 42LH30-UA

My pvr is a Motorola DCX3400M

My audio receiver is a Yamaha RX-V465

I am hoping that there has been some remedy to this situation.  I chatted with a Slingbox rep today and didn't get any suggestions other than to disconnect the hdmi cable completely and just use the composite which I will try when I get back home.  Is this the solution or has something else been discovered that may be a better fix?

ACC5182522

I am not sure if this is relevant but after updating the Slingbox ipad app the picture quality is not acceptable. The previous version of the app had an option for high quality video and one for standard quality video. The updated app only offers standard quality video and the video quality is terrible. Any ideas?