5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2013 8:27 AM by eddiecolon91 RSS

New 500:  Crackling Audio and Video In and Out

larrygreenberg

Just received and set up my new 500 over WiFi.

While watching my regular TV (cable box) with the Slingbox connected:

Over HDMI I'm getting static, in the form of crackling in the audio, video goes in and out. 

Over Component everything seems to be working fine.

I haven't even bothered testing the mobile apps yet because the Sling renders my home TV useless, which I can't live with.

I was not having issues before introducing the Slingbox to the mix.

Sling is sending me a replacment so we'll see.  I tried swapping out the HDMI cable which was included in the Sling box for anothe but it did not help.  Perhaps one of the HDMI ports in the Sling itself is bad?

For now I'm just running everything over component, which seems to be fine.

• Re: New 500:  Crackling Audio and Video In and Out
          larrygreenberg

Got the new one and it's the same result.

Is it my Samsung TV?

My Sonos Play Bar?

Guess it's compenent cable or nada.

test350 Novice

Is it the cable box to Slingbox link, or the Slingbox to TV link that is failing?  In the former case, both the streamed video and what you see on the TV will be bad.  In the latter case, only what's displayed on the TV will be bad.

If the failing link is a very short (1-meter or less) cable, see if substituting a 2- or 3-meter cable helps.

If your cable box or TV has any 'clock' settings related to HDMI, see whether that helps.

If your cable box can output component and HDMI simultaneously, you should be able to connect it to the Slingbox by component and directly to your TV via HDMI.  Connect the Slingbox HDMI output to a different HDMI input on the TV.

If none of this helps, please post make/model of cable box and TV.

larrygreenberg

I beleive it's the slingbox to TV link that's failing since watchig over iPad is fine.

Using 6 ft. cables, and I've tried several.

Clock settings, not sure.

Not sure I understand this....

Motorola/Samsung.

test350 Novice

I'm mostly out of ideas here.

Have you tried another HDMI input on the TV?

Does video from the Slingbox itself (menus, etc.) display properly?  If so, and your cable box can output component and HDMI simultaneously, you can hook its component output to the Slingbox and its HDMI output to a different HDMI input on the TV.  If your cable box cannot output to both interfaces at once, you could use an HDMI splitter to feed both Slingbox and TV from its HDMI output.  Perhaps you can find one at a local store, where you could return it if it doesn't help your system.

Do you have another device with an HDMI input, e.g. computer monitor, to try with the Slingbox?

Sometimes with HDMI, it helps to turn the viewing device off and back on, while keeping the source on.  Or, vice-versa.

Search for "HDMI clock control" and try to find how to disable it on your model TV.  If that doesn't help, turn it back on.  Be careful in the Service menu though; there are many options that can stop your set from working.

eddiecolon91 Newbie

Hey larrygreenberg,

I know that having to deal with a crackling sound when connecting to your Slingbox can be quite annoying as well as a frustration. If I fully understand it only happens when you configure the Slingbox with the HDMI cables. If the issue does not occur when you are connected through the component cables it seems like you are experiencing a form of HDCP.

HDCP means "High Definition Content Protection". What HDCP does is it gives you numerous errors when streaming through an HDMI cable. You could be a victim to no audio, no video or in your case crackling audio.  Connecting through the component cables will be your best way to further avoid HDCP.  Below is a link that can further explain the effects of HDCP.

I hope this information will give you a better idea of what HDCP is & why using the component cables is a better option.

Best regards,

The Sling Moderation Team