2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2013 12:08 PM by eddiecolon91 RSS

TV shows keep freezing up

rainbowbridge

I have a Slingbox 350 and tested it out in the US before moving to South Korea.  It worked fine back home.  I am using Windows 8 but running the desktop and IE7.

In South Korea, I connected to the Slingbox but after a while, the show stopped and the picture froze.  If it does play, there are frequent pauses in the show where the screen goes black then the show returns.

Any helpful ideas would be appreciated.

Dan

• Re: TV shows keep freezing up
          test350 Novice

When you tested back home, was it over the Internet (not just over the local LAN)?  If not, there could be a problem with Internet viewing setup, or your home upload speed may be too slow or unstable.  Ask a US friend to test for you.

If you have problems from a US viewing location, post details about your Slingbox Internet connection, including contracted upload speed and actual upload speed (as measured by a speed test).

If it works well from a US viewing location, test viewing with Firefox and/or Chrome.  See whether you can get a fluid (albeit poor quality) picture by manually setting Quality to Minimum.  If so, then increase Quality one step at a time and report how high you can go before you have the freezing problem.

Also, report what streaming data rate you can achieve, and what is shown for Stream Type (find this in the Statistics window, by holding the Ctrl key and left-clicking in the playing video.

• Re: TV shows keep freezing up
            eddiecolon91 Newbie

Hey rainbowbridge,

I understand how having your picture freeze unexpectedly could be a frustration for you. I have some tips that could possibly help you with this issue.

• Test the speed of the network you're connected to.
            • Test different web browsers to see if one works better than the other.
            • You could also try a different operating system.

Testing different browsers, operating systems & checking the speeds will give you a better idea of where the problem is. Wether it's an issue with the Slingbox, the network or the PC.

Below are a couple of links that could also assist you.

To test your speed of the network you are in, you could go to speedtest.net. That web-site will advise you of your upload & download speed of the network you are in. Also you want to check the speeds of the network your physical Slingbox is in as well.

I hope this information will further assist you in resolving your issue!

Best regards,

The Sling Moderation Team